Kazaa the most downloaded software on the internet!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by firephoto, May 26, 2003.

1. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    The historic day of Friday the 23rd of May, 2003.

From Baku Today, Azerbaijan. (looked like an interesting place to get the article. :) )
    http://www.bakutoday.net/view.php?d=4645
    366,000 downloads a day is quite a number and that doesn't even count the number of alternate spyware-free versions out there.

I was first turned onto this software by a net-friend when Morpheus was still using their software engine before Sharman Networks sent out the kill code and Morpheus had to switch to a different engine. I had been a Napster user and when it was killed there really wasn't a good easy alternative till Morpheus showed up. I was almost in awe when I first used it. Downloads would come from multible sources at once, you could preview what you were downloading, and you could restart lost downloads, or pause and finish later. It was, and still is as Kazaa (Lite hacked K++ beta for me), an incredible piece of software.

As I type this there are 3,324,122 users online (3.3 million) and they are sharing 743,666,904 files (743.6 million) which total 5,988,736 GB of data (30 thousand 200gig drives full of data!!!). That's a lot of media out there being shared.

2. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The RIAA is now sending messages to Kazaa file sharers now warning them that they are subject to prosecution for copyright violations.

3. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Kazaa is going down the same path as Napster. It's just too damn popular. That's why I use WinMX. :)

4. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Kazaa doesn't use servers like Napster did, it's a true p2p service. All you need is the software and the internet and it works. The user is responsible for what kind of content is shared.

If the RIAA had it's way your ears would have quarter slots that you would have to insert money into to be able to hear ANY kind of music. That's what greed will do.

5. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Of course the best source of file sharing is IRC.....

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Why are people using Kazaa, don't they know about Kazaa Lite. I'd like to see the numbers for Kazaa Lite.

7. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    It could have to do with the "dark" area of the internet where K-Lite and other variations exist. K-Lite isn't always easy to find either because many versions claiming to be the lite version are just the regular version in disguise.

8. zztzed

zztzed Mentor

Sep 15, 2002
    Kazaa is actually not "true" P2P anymore. They changed the protocol a while back to use some form of encryption to prevent unofficial clients from connecting to the network, so official clients now connect to a central server to get the encryption key before connecting to the network.

9. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Are therefees associated with the use of KAzza Lite? What is Kazaa Gold?

10. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Kazaa Lite is just a hacked version that strips out the gator/bonzai buddy/some spyware (I don't even know what's in the real version) and still allows the program to work. It checks for certain files and makes sure the files have the correct checksum or something so you can't just remove the spyware or it won't work. There are variations of the Lite variation that allows things outside of the normal parameters. K-Lite ++ allows you to use the "search more" button more than two times for example amongst other things.

11. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    When I searched for Kazaa Lite awhile back I kept seeing statements like "less than $1 a month". What's up with that?

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Some websites that offer Kazaa Lite make you think you have to pay for it. I get mine from kazaalite.de. The site is completly in German but it's not that hard to figure out :)

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Judging from the direction this thead is taking, I'm moving this thread to "Computer Talk".

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I also have winmx, I thought it worked better for me and I liked it better as well. They said on techtv that there were more downloads of kazaa than there are people that live in the U.S. and that there is something even more intense that may be coming in the future that will make it harder to track people downloading things and so forth. It seemed rather interesting and sounded like the way they said it that nothing could stop it, in which is what I believe as well.

15. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I love how the record companies are complaining that these sites are destroying their business. I forget which magazine did a story on this, but they showed that sales indeed did fall 11% since 1999. Except that new releases numbered 29,000 LESS than 1999 this past year, AND they raise prices in a down economy. Hmmm, must be those pirates (mostly students who didn't have the disposable income to buy all those albums ANYWAY) I am a heavy buyer who owns about 3000 CDs, all legit, and my buying has fallen 50% in the last year due to a lack of compelling releases and the anger at being called a criminal by the companies I buy from. 95% of the stuff I download is for remixes of old 80's songs that I can't buy anywhere else now. The other 5% tends to be obscure Electronica songs that I hear on XM but that I can't find anywhere else.

16. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
  17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I like file sharing programs like Kazza. It takes the gamble out of buying CD's. It's really bugged me for a long time that when you buy a CD, and you don't like it, you can't take it back. With file sharing, you can sample music and then decide if you want to buy the CD from the store.

Actually downloading all the songs on a CD and burning your own copy, to me, is a pain in the butt. Some of the songs on Kazza are converted to MP3 incorrectly or it's completely the wrong song from what the titles says. It's easier just to buy the CD for $15.

18. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    While I'm dead set against cable and satellite piracy, I do use KLite++ and iMesh both for one simple reason: I'm a former programmer and well aware of the sh*t that some of my fellows will publish with a straight face. Since their broken buggy crud can cause total information unawareness(read: wipeout your system), we should get to test it first. Instead, the industry is the only one where you buy it sight unseen and have no recourse or hope of refund much less damages for data loss.

As a result, I've been able to test drive full versions of various software packages, find out which are attrocious pieces of cr*p, and which are good. The bad ones, if I can't kludge a fix to make them work for me, are deleted. The ones that do what I want get purchased either online or full boxed version. That's why Adobe has gotten so much of my money. (a big thankyou to Adobe for their numerous improvements to their programming and testing methods after the nightmare of Acrobat 3)

Also, I've gotten some excellent listens to songs that I'd otherwise have to record from the radio and so too money has been spent following up at the local mall CD shops.

But in the name of traffic congestion, I recommend it only be used by cable users overnight and not during the day when it can muck things up for others.

19. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The IRAA is simply feeling the effect of items mentioned above (higher prices, fewer releases, etc.) along with other media such as dvd's taking money from the pot where they formerly had an exclusive. I spend more on dvd's now than I do on CD's. That money is being taken away from the music business and being "redistributed" to the movie industry. Liberals should be happy. :lol: Before DVD's I NEVER bought movies. With the combination of the music industry, the movie industry and the gaming industry chasing the same $$$, there is bound to be a negative effect on the oldest of the industries, that being the music business. Then again, they aren't producing much music worth purchasing today anyway.

20. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    For me, audio CDs are just a way to "install" music on my mp3 jukebox. I still buy CDs, but not as many as I used to do because much of the pop music today is trashy rap/hip-hop that doesn't appeal to my tastes, but if Enya releases another CD, I would buy it up right away.

I have downloaded lots of MP3 files, but I don't know if they are still valid copyrights since much of my downloaded tunes are recordings from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Such music should, in my opinion, be in the public domain even if they are not. Part of the motivation for granting copyrights is that the art eventually ends up in the public domain.

Nonetheless, I probably have "pirated" many songs, but I did so because that was the only way to get a certain tune I wanted without having to buy a full CD or hunt for an old 45 RPM record to rip. I am guilty but I consider it the equivalent of speeding.

The USENET binary newsgroups post hundreds of MP3s each day Yet I never hear any RIAA actions taken there.

Another source for material is the local library. We joke here that when the "book" has been checked out of our small library, we can still chose from a alot of CDs and DVDs. Audiobooks also seem ot be poular and can be ripped just as easily as music CDs.