1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

keeping snow off the dish this year

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kevin F, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 42
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Is it ok to have the gas fireplace on to melt snow/ice off the dish?. The dish is mounted on the chimmney (sp) and about 2 feet from the reflector. While in extreme cold I don't think that the heat from the fireplace will warp the dish or the lag bolts drilled into it, but will hopefully keep snow off. Will it move the lag bolts? I'm pretty sure the chimmney is insulated, right? Is this a good idea to keep in mind or should I not turn the fireplace on this year... Any insight on this idea is helpful.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 42
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I can post a picture of where the dish is relative to the chimney (I still can't spell that) exhaust is tomorrow. Thanks again.

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 42
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Unless the dish is directly above the chimney, or is very poorly built, using the gas fireplace will have little to no effect on the dish.

4. Nov 8, 2010 #4 of 42
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    fwiw agreed :)
    temp may be enough to loosen/melt ice a foot around the chimney but heat will not be enough to hurt anything.

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 42
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I've said the same thing for years: Super Soaker with warm water.

Works every time. :D

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 42
    markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    Just curious. Have you been having snow related problems in the past or just being proactive in keeping your dish clean? I only ask because I live about 130 miles west of Albany, in an area that generally gets far more snow, and have never had snow issues in twelve years with DirecTV. The angle of dishes here are such that very little snow accumulates on them. I would think the same would be true in Albany.

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 42
    sunking

sunking Godfather

Feb 17, 2004
    The nice thing about being up North is that the dish is at a pretty vertical angle. Snow for the most part doesn't stick. In my 10 years I've never had to even brush it off, and I'm about 40 minutes east of you.

The bad part of this is trees become more of a blockage issue, but I'm assuming you're past that.

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 42
    WingNut

WingNut AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    Luckily my dish is mounted in a location where I can reach it with a broom easily. So if it does get caked with snow, a little brooming (GENTLY) and the problem is solved.

This only happened once last year during a huge snowstorm, so I don't see it being a problem.

9. Nov 8, 2010 #9 of 42
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I got a HotShot dish heater from SatPro last month. It looks like it may get it's first test on Thursday!

10. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    In 3 years, I have had only one instance where snow stuck to the dish, and that was a storm with an incredible amount of wet, heavy snow. I agree with others, with vertical alignment of the dishes here, should be few instances where snow on it will cause issues. that being said, I have had good luck with a broom duct taped to a window washing pole. Haven't tried the super soaker route, but I know a TON of people on this site swear by it!

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Move to Florida. :lol: It works.

12. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I installed Hot Shot last year, and it kept the dish clean. It won't help during a big snowstorm (or rainstorm), of course, but afterward, there's no outdoor acrobatics -- the dish gets clean automatically, and the power consumption is negligable.

Stan

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So what is Hot Shot??? Like a Device to Heat up the Dish enough to Melt the Snow away???

14. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah, but then you would have to live in Florida. EEW! :)

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I will be living in Florida for about 3 months a year every year in Key West once I buy my RV!!!

16. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Thanks for all your help guys. So i am assuming i can still use the fireplace and it will possibly use it to keep snow off of the dish if it becomes a problem.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

17. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Frankly I highly doubt it. There just isn't going to be all that much heat up there on your chimney let alone a 2-3 feet (minimum) from it to be enough to actually melt snow on a dish.

You won't know until you try it but I really wouldn't count on it at all.

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yes.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shot-Heater-Satellite-Dish/dp/B0030TYX6K

I just installed one last month. Last year ~4-5 times I hooked up a garden hose to my laundry room sink and blasted the dish with warm water. Too much of a nuisance. Too cold & too wet. Don't want to deal with it anymore. You can get them for around $125 on eBay. I installed mine on the back of the dish not the front as shown.

19. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Currently unavailable on Amazon....As BonScott said....SuperSoaker works great. I will post a pic in the near future of what I use.

20. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    The linked paged shows that they are in-stock now.