KHOU in Houston Terrible!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by LoweBoy, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    Has anyone else notice how bad the picture is on Channel 11? Usually the best picture I get. All other CBS stuff I get looks great (Distant Nets and ST).

Any one know what's up?:nono2:

2. bpjones

bpjones Cool Member

Jul 5, 2008
    I noticed the same thing during the Bama/LSU game last night. It's almost like they changed their encoder to a new sub-par model. During fast action, the encoder couldn't keep up and picture quality degraded.

3. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Channel 11 looks sharp here, no different than usual on both 11 and 11-1 (off air).

4. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    I noticed it during the LSU game as well. It was pretty bad.

5. jmpfaff

jmpfaff AllStar

Dec 12, 2004
    It was HORRIBLE during the LSU/Bama game, and pretty bad yesterday during the Texans game.

Out of curiosity...have any of the other BELO stations shown similar symptoms?

6. bulldogtx

bulldogtx Cool Member

May 27, 2008
    It was unwatchable during LSU-Alabama and bad during the Texans game. It was fine over the air. DirecTV claimed they checked on their side and said it was a problem at KHOU.

7. lotbass

lotbass Mentor

Mar 24, 2007
    I agree 100%... Bama / LSU game was terrible. (Both in picture quality and outcome :-( )

That was the first game I watched on a new TV and was worried I made a bad purchase. Glad I watched an NFL game on a different channel the next day and figured out it was channel 11.

One big thing of interest... the set I watched on was a Panny plasma with 3D support. Watching the game in 2D was terrible... but when I switched to 3D (via 2D to 3D conversion in the TV), almost all the blockiness went away.... so at least I have an option for future games on channel 11!!

8. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    CBS college football broadcasts have always been bad on DirecTV (macroblocking, etc) for as long as I can remember.
    NFL broadcasts are much better.