1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kids bounce house

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nabisco, May 7, 2013.

1. May 7, 2013 #1 of 12
    Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
  2. May 7, 2013 #2 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    When you own it, you are responsible for injuries the neighbor kids might get.

3. May 8, 2013 #3 of 12
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that if the TS had one in the yard he'd be liable regardless of whether it’s owned or rented.

Since it’s not much more, I’d buy one, use it for my party, and then rent it out for fraction of the local place until it’s paid off.

Of course, I’d take it down after my party...don’t want anyone using it unattended.

Mike

4. May 8, 2013 #4 of 12
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I believe it would depend on if the injury was the result of the unit and/or it's maintenance or kids just being kids.

The description states this unit is not designed for commercial use so if the OP were to rent it out, he might find himself assuming all responsibility.

If he were not to charge and allow a school or church use it occasionally, he might be able write it off (check with an attorney or CPA first). I have a neighbor who does this with their outdoor projection system. They allow the school to use it on Friday Nights for "movie nights" and writes off a healthy donation.

5. May 8, 2013 #5 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't know if that's true. The rental company would have full coverage for liability, no?

6. May 8, 2013 #6 of 12
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They probably would, but I don't think it would necessarily protect someone from getting pulled into a lawsuit.

7. May 8, 2013 #7 of 12
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I checked out a few local rental companies and they all mention that the company carries a million dollar liability policy.

8. May 8, 2013 #8 of 12
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This thread got me thinking so I made a call to my insurance agent (Liberty Mutual) and decided to get their opinion.

They explained that if someone is injured while using the bouncy house, the rental company's insurance would be responsible.

If you were to buy one than you would need to inform your insurance company and more than likely would see your rate increase as your minimum liability might need to increase. The agent explained that many people do not inform their insurance company when they buy their kids trampolines, skate board ramps, etc. and that the insurance company could refuse to pay any and all claims if someone were injured.

My suggestion is take the time and speak with your insurance company & attorney (if you have one) and see what the risks to you may be by owning one. You may find yourself paying out a lot more than you ever thought..

9. May 9, 2013 #9 of 12
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    A friend got one for his kid's party and had to sign a liability waiver. The rental company does this because they can't control how the kids will be supervised so they won't take responsibility.

Mike

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Which department did you call at Liberty Mutual? Believe me, it makes a difference. Last year, I had a neighbor's tree fall on my power lines and had to replace the whole service. Called LM and was told in no uncertain terms that what I had experienced was "an act of God". So, I was out ~ 5 grand. Called again a week later and got the same reply. Gave up.

All of a sudden, we started getting letters about switching our auto insurance to LM. That was aggravating. Then they called me and I went off on them. Asked them if I got into an auto accident if they'd call that an act of God. Then I got transferred to the Claims Department and the woman I told my story to started laughing! She told me the whole act of God thing was ridiculous and got the information for the damages done by that storm and Sandy. Long story short, we're getting everything we spent last year on storm related damages, less the $500 deductible. Seems that LM has the same problems with first line CSR as D* does. You gotta call Claims to get anything done.

Looking back on this whole fiasco, I gotta wonder if every business is like this today.

Rich

11. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I did some reading on this and IIUC, that liability insurance covers the rental company against damages due to something they did...e. g. not properly maintaining the bounce house.

The liability waiver my friend had to sign was for things like improper use or lack of supervision. I’m no lawyer but we both took that to mean if a couple of kids bounce into each other and someone breaks an arm that’s on the renter and not the rental company.

Of course I’ve been wrong before. :grin:

Mike

12. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    That sounds quite reasonable.