1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knowing all of the problems people are having... (Genie Issues)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rob37, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Why would anyone want the Genie? And I pose another question. Why doesn’t DIRECTV/AT&T Completely SCRAP the Genie DVR? I know Last Summer I had the system installed in my home and we had nothing but problems from everything to audio loss to screen freezing. By October of 2016 we had had enough and went back to just the Regular HD Receivers. Have had basically no real serious problems since. I don’t get it. Why would people want a Genie Receiver or Mini Client as they have started calling them knowing allof these problems are happening and DIRECTV has not fixed them yet? I will just sit back now and read replies. This has been on my mind.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Because not everyone has issues. I got instance have zero issues with me HR54. I do not have any clients, not because they are unstable but because I don't like sharing tuners. For the most part the Genie platform is pretty stable now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmerz likes this.
  3. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    For 99.99% of the time my Genie works great and much better with better functions than my old HR24. I think the Genie system is great.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've had three Genies. The first was a HR34-700. It had issues but DIRECTV did the right thing and swapped it for a HR44-200 which served me well and was issue free. In 2015 I got a HR54-200. It too has served me well and has been issue free. As peds and CTJon have stated the Genie platform is pretty stable. Your experience is not the norm so please don't present it as if it were.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    My Hr44 and then HR54 have been just about trouble-free. I have one client, and one RVU TV.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not trying to jump on the TS, but my HR44 hasn't had any problems. I don't like the software for scheduling future shows (so I don't use it anymore), but that is my only issue with the Genie. We have one wired mini, and no problems with that either. And as my 24s seem to get slower and slower, the Genie is so much faster than any of our other devices.

And now that you can only download to Mobile DVR shows from your Genie, I would love to be able to have more Genies. At least one more. Please?

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Glad to see someone else admitting the software on the Genies leaves something to be desired. Add that ever present Progress Bar (well, it's present every time you use the 30 second click) to the scheduling thing for me. I think it's just a shame they don't fix the software, the 44-700 I have runs perfectly aside from those issues. That goofy, non ergonomic remote that comes with them...well, I've said what I think of them before, nothing's changed. If they were gonna copy the TiVo Peanut remote they could have done a much better job.

Rich

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The 30 second bar is annoying. Glad I have clients too sometimes. :)

As for the search I've come to like it a lot. Reason being it allows me to easily set a recording for a program on any station or drill down one level and chose to record it on only one particular station. Life is easy that way.

And the sports search works great for me.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Other than the problem with scheduling season passes from the search function (which can be avoided by going to the program guide to schedule the season pass, my HR-44 has been very stable since I got it (which was within a week of them becoming available on Long Island). I too don't have any clients (I have two HR-24's).so,i can't comment on them.

I did just buy two Samsung RVU TV's to use in rooms that are currently being remodeled. So, I'm hoping that my positive experience will continue after they are installed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Hr54 and 3 clients. Zero issues. Actually never had one. I also love the rc7x remotes.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    To the OP, which Genie did you have?

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    He posted once before about his issues I believe and it seemed like he had bad hardware or install as I recall.

13. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I believe it was an HR44? With the clients that did not receive 4K programming although that was what my free upgrade was supposed to be. I have 1 4K TV but they gave me the wrong receivers on the install. That was a nightmare all itself. I was supposed to have a 4K install. Well the whole experience was a nightmare. After how I saw how the minis were doing with the audio loss and picture freezing constantly, I demanded to go back to just regular HD receivers and happy that I did because I don't record shows. I am back to just the H25 receivers and happy just to not lose sound and not have the screen freeze.

14. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No issues with my HR44 Genie, knock on wood.

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    As was said before your system wasn't done right at all. Your experience isn't at all normal.

16. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    HR44-500 since shortly after they came out, with no serious issues. It needs the occasional rbr but so does my pc and phone.

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    No issues with 54.
    24's slow as hell.
    61k freezes and audio losses.

18. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Not joining the discussion to be critical of the Genie (44, in my case) and Clients (wireless), but I'd be untruthful if I said I do not have some of the same problems noted by other posters. Two/three-second audio drops and video freezes occur regularly on the Clients and less often on the main receiver. Quite often when I power up one of the Client TVs, I have no audio at all. The only way I can get audio back on is to power off for half and minute or so, then power back up. That almost always fixes the issue. A few other problems arise occasionally, but not often enough to cause great concern.

Overall, I love the Genie and even the Clients. However, I would not be opposed to DirecTV making some improvements to these devices.

Rich likes this.
  19. btedford

btedford New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    I have an HR54 and two clients and using the RVU on my Sony 4K TV. I really do enjoy the Genie...the issues for me are few and far between. I do have a C61K on my 4K receiver and I have been using the RVU for almost a week now and I really like the RVU...it has it's issues like the C61K but I prefer it over the C61K. I do enjoy DirecTV's hardware (not as much as the Hopper 3) but I'm curious as to what's in store for the next year with DirecTV and their technology.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Tell us about the Hopper 3? Can you do a comparison between the H3 and a 44?

Rich