1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kong: Skull Island

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Rich, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I almost didn't put this movie on my list, I couldn't help but wonder if the whole King Kong thing had been beaten to death. I mean, how many iterations of this story can there be? So, with great trepidation I turned it on last night. And, as usual, I was so very wrong.

They made a really entertaining movie this time! It was really good. And the story is very different. A good cast, beautiful scenes and a bit unbelievable. Just a good movie! Don't miss it.

Rich

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I saw this film last April. Let me start out by saying that I had no intention of seeing this film. I had a “raincheck” because of technical issues during the showing of Princess Mononoke last January, and it was about to expire. I misread the times, so I ended up picking this movie.

First sign of trouble…. one of the production companies listed is Tencent Pictures, which is a Chinese film production/distribution company. Since China only allows 34 foreign films in the country each year… you know how this ends up.

While we get a special-effects heavy film, we also get cardboard cutout characters what are one dimensional in every way. Including the smarty nerdy black guy and the token Asian secondary character. And while I do like John Goodman and Samuel L. Jackson, they weren’t rememberable characters. I didn’t know if I was watching either Viet Kong or Apocalypse Kong.

Skip it.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Eh, it was entertaining for me. I have very different expectations based on what kind of movie it is. I don't look for deep characters on movies like this, I look for fun and entertainment. If it has great characters too just a plus.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I thought it was the best Kong movie and I think I've seen them all. Very entertaining.

Rich

5. AngelRogers36

AngelRogers36 New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    I haven't seen this one yet. I'll have to check it out. I loved the old ones. Great to see many people liked it.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've watched it a couple times, enjoyed the movie each time. It's just a good movie.

Rich