KTLA Behind The Scenes AT&T DTV Broadcast Center

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerM, Jun 28, 2016.

1. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Promotional Consideration Provided by AT&T

It takes a lot of technology to get a TV signal to your television set. In some instances it travels over 45,000 miles. ...

And the banner at the top of the page reminds us that KTLA is currently involved in a dispute with DISH. (Tribune stations.) I am glad that they noted the promotional consideration in the article.

From the video:
    "... the dish farm, with satellites much bigger than the one on top of your house."
    Uh ... the satellites go in space, receive dishes go on your house. :)

3. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Popular media never lets technical inaccuracies bother them :)

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I've been there!
    It's more impressive than you can imagine!!
    Doctor j

6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anyone find the pictures he mentions in the video?

7. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Yeh but Charter says that's ancient technology. :)

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Interesting though very brief tour ....

Sad to see the DIRECTV logo over the LABC replaced with the Death Star ...

Anyway, would have loved to have been in the KTLA reporters' shoes nevertheless to see all that amazing tech, and to have an opportunity to ask things such as "what's up with D14's CONUS beam xpndrs?" "Why is D15 still dormant?" "why is SW1 still half-way alive?" "Is 95W WD service moving to 99 and 103W?" "When is the actual switch to Reverse Band coming and the present status of it's use at 103W or 103(cr)? etc.....

Yeah ...after peppering them with such questions they'd likely have been ready to run someone like me out of there

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

9. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    All legitimate questions though.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And then heads would likely roll. "That was supposed to be a puff piece!"

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The person conducting the tour might not have any of those answers.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah I think that's what dpeters11 meant....

Large hi tech facilities like that are very departmentalized and chances are those questions would have been mostly, if not all, outside his area of knowledge and concern.

But it would have nevertheless looked very bad in what was to have really been a puff piece report anyway to have the tour guide put on the spot like that on TV and have to admit such apparent ignorance to all those questions.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Exactly. Letting cameras behind the scenes for a few seconds is not investigative reporting.

I don't believe the guide would have been embarrassed by the questions ... but he would be annoyed that the reporter went off script. No such questions would ever make it to air. They are too esoteric for a puff piece.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Kind of like with Undercover Boss. There were a few clips in a preview for the episode with Mike White that looked to be in a more behind the scenes area, maybe of the LA Broadcast Center, wasn't included in the show. Viewers only really know of the installer and phone support areas.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nah on the LABC ...

I was hoping White would play one of his undercover roles there or at the CBC or the CRBC in that episode.

But they were only positions as an accompanying tech. on a routine service call, a tech. at one of the distribution warehouses. A tech. on an installation call where the lead installer was actually a woman. And lastly as a CSR at one of the call centers.

Nothing for any of the broadcast centers. But then again perhaps there's nothing in sensitive areas like their Broadcast Operations where they would ever hire some novice stumbling around trying to learn the ropes as White did in those other roles he played.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There was video of him in his undercover character at the uplink center. The show was full enough without it being part of the story. I am not sure what newbee job he would do there ... but it would be interesting to see the cut footage.

As far as what aired, they did make a mistake in editing and show a customer's name and address on screen when he was working the call center. That wasn't good.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Come to think of it though, I'm sure White had probably made any number of official visits to the broadcast centers before the UB piece.

So how "undercover" could he really expect be there? ... lol ..