Ku-Band Satellite channel listings (1997)

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by JosephH1998, Dec 25, 2018.

1. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    as I'd want to know the affiliates/feeds they carried on the system (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, UPN, WB and PBS etc...) I'd want to know what the channel listings on Ku-Band Satellite were at the time in '97, since I can't find it anywhere (what I know is that Galaxy III was the satellite used for the "ABC Network" feeds) What were the listings like?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  3. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    don't you have anymore information you can give to me?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    why you asking for this listings ?

5. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I ask for the listings because they're hard-to-find. No matter where I search it, I can't find it anywhere.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps a magazine collection at a public library? I'm not sure who would have 20 year old information lying around ready to share.

7. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I'm not sure how I'll be able to drive to a public library for a list (since I don't have a driving license yet), well aside from WXIA (Atlanta), WNBC (New York) and KNBC (Los Angeles) what were the NBC feeds that were available on Ku-Band at the time?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    ask your parents to make a trip with you to public library

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I didn't say "drive". :) It would be your responsibility to find a way to get there. I recommend that you call ahead to make sure the library you are visiting has a magazine collection that includes satellite magazines from the late 1990s. Some libraries have their indexes online.

10. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I will ask my parents to make the trip when I get the chance. but still aside from KNBC (Los Angeles), WNBC (New York) and WXIA (Atlanta) which of the NBC affiliates were available on Ku-Band at the time?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think no one here remember that

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  13. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I'm not sure If I can find a site that lists data for today and is on the Internet Archive. But I'd still want to know what NBC feeds aside from WXIA (Atlanta), WNBC (New York) and KNBC (Los Angeles) were on Ku-Band at the time? (Galaxy III Satellite was used for the ABC Network feeds on the same satellite)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Being a pest will not give you an answer. You have asked your question ... if someone knows the answer and decides to share they will answer. Asking the same question over and over is not needed.

Please do not ask again.

15. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    well I can wait.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Good Boy ! :D

17. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Well as far as I know the NBC feeds were carried on GE-1 in Ku-Band. the "ABC Network" feeds were on Galaxy 3.

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You do realize the "feeds" aren't actual local stations with 24/7 schedules? They're random feeds for East/Central/Mountain/Pacific, regionalized NCAA and NFL games, affiliate news sources for live stories from a network reporter during local newscasts, news backhauls, prefeeds for syndication, taggable promos, and variations for stations that aired the morning and daytime shows, overnight blocks, soaps, kids blocks and the Sunday politics shows at alternate times, especially in the early HD era when most affiliates didn't have the ability to tape delay HD programming. Whenever there wasn't any content they were either showing dead air, a test pattern or a promo loop. The "listings" for these feeds were never officially published outside of internal memos to their affiliates since they were not meant for public consumption.

The Wayback Machine archive for Lyngsat only goes back to 1999, and a quick check shows no actual local affiliates on Ku-Band outside of the encrypted channels that DirecTV, Dish (and maybe Primestar) used for DNS feeds as well as the simsubbed Boston, Detroit, Seattle and Spokane affiliates used by the Canadian providers ExpressVu (Bell TV) and Star Choice (Shaw Direct). C-Band on the otherhand had a bunch, but outside of the Primetime 24 block that operated similar to DNS feeds, the superstations, and Foxnet which was for cable providers in markets without a local Fox affiliate, they were mostly channels who had alternate feeds targetted for Caribbean cable providers like WSEE Erie's pan-caribbean feed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  19. JosephH1998

JosephH1998 New Member

Dec 13, 2018
    +KyL416 Oh, but what NBC affiliates were carried apart from WXIA (Atlanta), WNBC (New York) and KNBC (Los Angeles) on the Ku-Band feed? Thanks, a lot for the Internet Archive link by the way!

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Canada has a bunch, but they are simsubbed, so if a Canadian network airs a program at the same time as the US station, the Canadian network's broadcast appears on the channel instead:
    ExpressVu (Bell): WHDH/Boston and KING/Seattle
    Star Choice (Shaw): WDIV/Detroit, WGRZ/Buffalo, KHQ/Spokane, KING/Seattle
    Beacuse of the way the CRTC regulates things up in Canada, the cities are still the same today, although WHDH was replaced by WBTS after it became Boston's NBC station. The Boston affiliates are picked up via a receive facility at WGBH's studios, while the rest are picked up via cross-border reception.

This is what I found on the old websites for Dish, Directv and Primestar:
    Dish (as of 1996): WNBC and KNBC
    DirecTV (as of 1997): WNBC and KNBC
    DirecTV Puerto Rico: WNBC
    Primestar (as of 1997): WHDH/Boston and KCRA/Sacramento

They also had a bunch of restrictions, and were mostly only available to people who couldn't get OTA reception with a standard outdoor antenna. Although up until the early 00s, it was pretty easy to convince a CSR to turn them on anyway. (To the point where Dish was stripped of their ability to offer DNS for a few years and only got the ability back after they started carrying locals for all 210 markets) Now Dish doesn't offer traditional DNS at all, instead they import neighboring affiliates to markets that don't have a local affiliate of one of the major networks, while for DirecTV CSRs can't enable DNS directly, they can only submit your address and account number to the Wavier process. For the markets they do carry that don't have all the major networks they either import a neighboring market's affiliate or remap one of the DNS feeds so viewers in those markets don't have to apply for DNS.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018