1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L182 Bug Report:tune To Sirus And X Screen Of Death

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Eagles, May 20, 2004.

1. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003
    No big deal, but thought I would report this anyway. Tuned to Sirus, "Hits of the 80's". Channel appeared and music played for a second,then the x-screen of death. At that point my 921 went into an auto reboot. Came back on a couple of minutes later already tuned into the Sirus Hits of the 80's channel. Worked fine. Changed to a regular channel (FOX NEWS). All OK. I think I'm going to stay away from those channels until this gets ironed out. !pride

2. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Interesting. I bounced around to various Sirius channels last night for a couple of hours and had no problems at all.

3. ksquared

ksquared Cool Member

Feb 2, 2004
    I got GSOD's last night cruising around the sirius and another this morning.

This mornings was:

1) was listening to a sirius channel last night.
    2) went into DVR menu
    3) deleted a TV program.
    4) Left it in this state overnight.
    5) Hit the Cancel button to go back to TV
    6) Music played for about 1-2 seconds, title showed, then GSOD.

4. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003
    What is "GSOD"?

!pride

5. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I am sorry but what is a GSOD? I am on the waiting list for a 921 from Dishdepot and I would like to know what you are talking about?

6. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    No one ever explained it, but I deduced that it stands for "Gray Screen of Death" when the 921 unexplainably reboots itself without warning.

7. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks , that is much better than I thought. I thought they were using some kind of profanity and they were just using the first letter of each word.

8. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    GSOD does stand for "Gray Screen of Death", similar to the infamous Windows "Blue Screen of Death" crashes. It's not really an accurate description, but it serves. The random crash results in a gray screen with an X in the center.

9. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    GSOD = Godawful Software Often Dies ;)

10. tahoerob

tahoerob Godfather

Mar 22, 2003
    I had a similar GSOD.
    Tuned to Sirius station.
    Watched DVR event. Erased. Went to exit DVR menu.........GSOD.
    Rebooted back to Sirius none since.

L182

11. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, that's the problem. If you'd just turn on your 921 and not touch anything EVER, it would probably be more stable for you. :rolleyes:

12. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    The aforementioned gray screen is what you see when you are running X-Windows (the Linux / UNIX graphical user interface) with no background (and I believe also no window manager, although don't quote me on that). Essentially it's the raw state of X, where the gray weave is the default background and the "X" is the mouse cursor.

13. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, I just had my first GSOD with L182. Here's what I did:

1. Recording a movie on a sat channel (the timer fired! Yay!)
    2. After awhile of watching something else, I switched to the event that was recording and watched that for awhile.
    3. I tried to change to a SIRIUS channel but of course it told me it couldn't do that while recording.
    4. Did a PIP-SWAP to change to the other tuner and then entered "6000" to get to the SIRIUS channel.
    5. Black screen for 2 seconds followed by BSOD.

And things were going so well...