1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L4.01 and PIP question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Steve H, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006
    On the new 4.01 release with sise by side PIP will you now be able to get PIP while using dual mode (No OTA) or do you still need to go into single mode?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    PIP only works in single mode ... sorry.

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Given the use case for dual mode, I don't you will see PIP while in dual mode.. From and End user point of view I see just too many usability issues there. Of course that is my opinion and not one from E*, but imagine popping up you pip and watching it change since the guy in the other room is changing a channel.

4. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    But it would be nice to do a split screen between TV1 and OTA and leave TV2 to the other room

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That would be nice.

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yeah I would agree .. would be nice.. but as I try and imagine it I just see it it too confusing to the end user and ofcourse not every one has OTA. Personally I see it as a trade off between single and dual mode and don't see it changing. One can hope.. I just see there being a lot of limitations. Ofcourse I could be wrong and the next version might have it, but I just don't see it.

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have a list of features I'd like to see that are doable ... :)
    Blackout icons in the EPG the way timer icons and purchased PPVs display is on that list. (Shading blacked out programs dark in the EPG would be nice as an alternative, but I believe the icon would be easier to do.)

Everyone can list the big things ... complete EPG, external storage, dual mode PIP for TV1 (between OTA and sat or DVR playback and OTA/sat). I wonder if the laundry list of 'little tweaks' will get looked at (unless they are bugs)?

8. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    How 'bout if the receiver is in dual mode and TV2 is in "standby" that it allow PIP on TV1 ?? If TV2 is in use, when you try it gives you a pop-up explaining why.

They do market the 622 as a 2-room receiver, don't they ?? Why put a lot of emphasis on features or functions that only work contrary to it's intended design ??

9. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006

I like that idea. Or at least put a button on remote #1 that is used to switch from single mode to dual mode. Why have the button on the receiver and not the remote?

10. diospyros

diospyros AllStar

Nov 14, 2005

Just a reminder: OTA is a tuner(input) and TV1 and TV2 are outputs.

11. diospyros

diospyros AllStar

Nov 14, 2005
    D'oh. TV1 and TV2 are names of tuners too. Well, the point is there are not three outputs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.