La Liga Extends US Rights with beIN through 2024

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Steady Teddy, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    BigRedFan likes this.
  2. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    This might put pressure on DirecTV to sign a new deal now that BeIN Sports has secured La Liga for a long time. On the other hand... it might not as DirecTV didn't seem to care one bit in the last year about signing a new deal and barely anyone has even complained on their Facebook page about the channel being gone especially compared to CBS and Nexstar.

BigRedFan likes this.
  3. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Yeah, I don’t see DirecTv changing their stance and there’s no way that Comcrap will either.
    I miss watching La Liga but this agreement tells me they don’t care about ever coming close to reaching the mass appeal that the EPL has in the US.
    No way am I paying Fubo. ESPN+, for $50 a year, offers a lot of bang for the buck IMO. As much as I love watching football, Fubo is too niche and not worth it for me.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    This is disappointing as I love La Liga. Meanwhile I will watch Premier League and Bundesliga.

Steady Teddy likes this.
  5. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    South Florida
    Surprised to hear this as I have read that La Liga has been wanting to expand their USA reach in order to grow beyond Europe. Without DTV and Comcast they'll remain a niche here.

6. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I think in order to get the Death$tar to change their minds for AT&T (TV/Now/U-Verse) & DirecTV on beIN Sports ¢om¢rap would have to cave in first for Xfinity. However ¢om¢rap could be waiting for Death$tar to make the first move on this one.

7. je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    Concur this is disappointing news, assuming beIN remains unavailable on DirecTV. Guess I'll be limited to watching Messi's remaining years of play via YouTube highlights, often with Spanish- or Arabic-speaking announcers.

8. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    The only thing I could imagine is if BeIN Sports lowers their asking price down to some absurdly low amount that DirecTV and/or Comcast would be foolish not to take them up on the offer. And/or make some kind of bundle deal by throwing in Al Jazeera English as well - which while I know is on YouTube and it's own dedicated app for free at least could sweeten the deal as far as adding another channel to the line up without adding any real extra cost for customers.

9. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    For those who need La Liga (and other BeIN offerings — Ligue 1, Super Lig, Copa Libertadores/Sudamericana), you can get the Sling World Sports package for $60 annually. It includes BeIN, BeIN Español, and all the connect channels.

HGuardian likes this.
  10. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Also Fanatiz has the BeIN channels, GolTV, TyC Sports and RCN Nuestra Tele for $10 per month. Unfortunately the there’s no DVR feature and the BeIN games aren’t available on demand (the games on the other channels are).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  11. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    ^For anyone thinking of trying Fanatiz.

Thanks to a tip from Matteo Bonetti & a promo through World Soccer Talk, you can get the first 3 months at $4.99.

Enter the promo code at sign up:wstfz2

12. satexplorer

satexplorer Superstar

Feb 6, 2007
    Dock X
    Bad decision! Where was ESPN, FOX & Turner Sports?

13. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    My two cents on this...

beIN is absolutely huge in the Middle East and Asia. They claim to have more worldwide subscribers than any other sports network.

They are - were - on their last legs here. Without La Liga in the US, there would certainly be more carrier defections, or at a very minimum, a need to renegotiate agreements.

It would not surprise me at all if beIN told La Liga the US agreement was similar to the old "rum and whiskey" deals during prohibition.
    You want the whiskey? You gotta buy the rum.

Same with this... We, beIN, will pay you boatloads for carriage where we are strong. You, La Liga, have to help us out in the US, where we are weak.

Also, if I'm La Liga looking at the "broadcast" landscape in the US, where else do I go? Remember, La Liga schedules many more night - mid afternoon in the US - games than the Premier League.

la liga fixtures - Google Search

NBCSN - no room.
    ESPN - no room until the College Bowl season is over.
    FS 1 and 2 - Maybe, but issues with Bundesliga
    Turner - Maybe. They would want most matches diverted to B/R.
    The Marquis RSN's? Not enough coverage.

The logical broadcast place would be CBS and CBSSN, CBSSN is the biggest waste of broadcasting space I've ever seen.
    Just look at the Guide for Saturday from 10:AM to 5:00PM EDT.

From the streaming perspective, ESPN+ would have been a natural fit, but I'm guessing La Liga was not ready to entirely give up broadcast television.

It's odd. Here in Vegas, beIN is carried by Cox on their top programming tier only.
    Both Comcast and DirecTV want to offer beIN in higher tiers, but beIN doesn't want that.
    So what happens to beIN when agreements, like the one with Cox, run out?

daniloni likes this.
  14. je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    Thanks so much to daniloni for information about Sling's World Sports package. In addition to live games -- permitting access to major teams in which I particularly am interested, viz., Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG -- there is a "cloud DVR" option that works for the beIN channels. Unfortunately, it mandates an outlay of $60 a year, doubling the cost of the games themselves.

As a retiree I have plenty of spare time but this constitutes the ninth streaming service to which I subscribe, most of which offer niche programming. Viewing choices, especially when factoring in DirecTV's premier tier/ST/CI/EPIX, truly are overwhelming. Just wish DirecTV had maintained its ties with beIN to avoid yet another expenditure.

15. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I have heard, but I have yet to independently verify, that the games are available on demand, making the $60 cloud DVR function superfluous. Not knowing this at the time, I also spent $60 on the cloud DVR when I signed up (and with my money already spent, this is why I have yet to independently verify the availability of on demand games without cloud DVR).

16. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Good overview, although I think it’s been reported that Bundesliga will be moving to ESPN+ after this season, which would free up FS1/FS2. Obviously the big market for La Liga is the Spanish market, so I’m surprised Univision/Telemundo didn’t make a play. Although in the case of Telemundo, maybe they didn’t want to compete against their own (NBC and Telemundo jointly owned) Premier League rights. But with the Bundesliga gone from Fox, I definitely could have seen La Liga in English on FS1/FS2 (el clásico on Fox) and Spanish going to Unvision/Unimas/UDN/Galavision.

BigRedFan likes this.
  17. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Looking at the Sling World Sports package, it's mainly beIN channels, which is fine if that's all you want. Cheaper in the long run for $60 a year.

Fanatiz offers more channels. I missed watching Argentina football when the old Fox used to broadcast their matches. Plus there is no long term commitment. Last thing I need is another monthly fee so I will see how it goes. PQ is excellent so far on my ATV 4K.

18. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    After further viewing, I have to take back what I said about the PQ of Fanatiz. At first I was watching from a distance. But over the weekend it's obvious there are bandwidth issues across all Fanatiz channels. Pixelation is as bad as when beIN was still on D* on the Roku app.

Wouldn't have a problem if I only watched matches on my iPhone & iPad. But it's pretty noticeable on a 65" OLED.

How is the bandwidth on the Sling World Sports package?

19. TJNash

TJNash AllStar

Jun 5, 2012
    San Diego
    I signed up for Sling's Blue package (plus the $10 extra package to get NFL RedZone) on Friday.

Watched the BeIn channel over the weekend. Stream quality is OK, probably 30fps. I have ATT's gigabit fiber internet, getting like 800 down, so no problems with buffering, etc.

I assume the World Sports package will be the same quality. I think they give you 7 days free to try that one, so give it a shot.