LA Times on ATT selling D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Jan 31, 2020.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    "Immediately after the acquisition, for example, AT&T began making cuts in DirecTV’s vaunted customer service operation, which ran centers in Idaho, Oklahoma and Alabama. AT&T folded the group into its “shared services” division. Offshore call centers in the Philippines and India also were tasked with diagnosing satellite TV issues and fielding questions about other AT&T products.

AT&T has defended the move, saying centralization is an efficient way to support its plethora of products.

But the change in ownership also led to a culture clash." . . .

“They treat people like they are widgets that can be replaced,” the former executive said, noting the company calls laid-off workers “surplussed.”

Nearly 3 million subscribers ditched DirecTV last year. Will AT&T do the same?

Davenlr, jimmie57 and Dishdude714 like this.
  2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    When I first entered the corporate world the department that handled people was called personnel, then it went to human resources and when I left it was called human capitol. IMHO that progressing just shows a culture where people weren't treated like people but just another piece of hardware to be used and when no longer needed thrown away. As for AT&T, the person that started the Cutting Edge program eventually was hired by DIRECTV but last year was 'surplussed'.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I tried to convince my boss that we employees were long term capital investments, not short term purchases. He liked the idea but still can't spend capital funds to give bonuses. He did let us buy additional equipment at the end of the year that will let us improve our working experience.

4. Feb 1, 2020 #4 of 51
    DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    The article mentions that the new D* CEO is named Rasesh Patel and is an engineer and used to work at D* in El Segundo before he was promoted and moved to Dallas. I would humbly suggest to Rasesh that he consider moving his office back to El Segundo and listen to the remaining braintrust there rather than stay in Dallas and listen to the brain surgeons there. If he could stop the bleeding he would be a good candidate to run the entire ATT.

5. Feb 1, 2020 #5 of 51
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ

Before the acquisition we would not have called D*'s customer service such a name. Remember how bad it was? Still have a hard time believing ATT managed to make it far worse than it was. You have to work at it to screw something up this much. Couple months ago I actually considered a 54 and C61K. Go 4K. Why not? I'm not going anywhere. So I make the call and I'm told I can get the 54 and I can use the C61K in my RV. You can't make this stuff up. They wanted to outfit my recreational vehicle. I don't have one, never wanted one. How bad is this? Can it get worse?

Rich

6. Feb 1, 2020 #6 of 51
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Since the acquisition I've talked to several CSRs that used to be D* CSRs and they all seem dismayed by what's happening. Perhaps this guy will be a breath of fresh air.

Rich

7. Feb 1, 2020 #7 of 51
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Maybe they were running a special at the time. UPGRADE TO 4K AND GET FREE RV! :D

8. Feb 1, 2020 #8 of 51
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That CSR actually had to put me on hold so she could ask her supervisor what to do to get me the equipment and it seems like he told her about the RV.

Rich

9. Feb 1, 2020 #9 of 51
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    When I got my 4K TV they still had the RVU app for them. When I called to get 4K I told them I was going to use the RVU app instead of a D* client box and the CSR told me there was no such thing and that I had to have the box. She talked to her boss. He told her the same thing. After about 30 minutes of this I finally told them to just send me the client box. Arguing with idiots is pointless.

daniloni and carlsbad_bolt_fan like this.
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You gotta admit this level of stupidity is awesome. You can't make this stuff up.

Rich

AZ. and carlsbad_bolt_fan like this.
  11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Probably was doing that so his budget wasn't under and then was asked to reduce the next year budget. We also used to spend a bunch of money in the last quarter was wearing down the numbers on the corporate MasterCard.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I actually don’t blame them on this one. The built in RVU clients are no longer being kept updated. They do not want you using the RVU apps anymore.

So if these people are newer they probably aren’t aware and will never be made aware that used to be a thing.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Shockingly I have called in twice in the last week for two different things and both times was helped by someone who didn’t have to transfer me and was able to take care of what I wanted pretty easily. Was rather a present experience believe it or not. And one call was activating a client they didn’t send me.

14. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    It was a year and half ago when my account had just been migrated to AT&T. They were still updating the RVU on that TV at the time. I wasn't horribly upset to not get the RVU since I read on these forums I would be better off with the C61K. But I was still amazed the CSR told me no such app had ever existed to watch DirecTV without a DirecTV box.

15. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    When I called to disconnect RVU on my Sony TV, and got someone overseas, they had no idea what RVU was.
    They told me I would have to send them my TV!!!!!

Took three calls to get someone US based that understood what I wanted.

At that point I decided I didn't need DirecTV any longer.

AZ. likes this.
  16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Att likely was never ever trained that the App existed.

17. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Pretty much it when they started to have call types where agents were handling multiple products if the agent came from the AT&T side they were used to U-Verse TV which required a box for every TV. AT&T never trained them on RVU/DirecTV Ready TVs. If you got a D* rep or a D* rep trained on multiple products you could tell D* was their strong suit but at the same time if you happened to ask about U-Verse TV they had to research that one. In my experience its gotten better over time as both sides grow into their new roles.

With every provider I usually ask to speak to retention because with most big companies they keep the majority of retention in the USA. The past few times I've had to call its been nice take care of a D* question/issue then have same agent answer any questions about my wireless account. Where I skip the front line CSRs and go for loyalty even when I'm not looking for discounts I usually am on the phone 30 minutes tops and that's handing both D* and wireless now.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I had to call Directv yesterday to make a change in packages, and called the commercial customer line as usual. For some reason when I tried to enter my phone number it didn't accept it, and after a couple tries kicked me directly to a CSR. No problem, I describe what I want but after a lot of furious typing she tells me she needs to talk to her supervisor. A few minutes wait and she comes back and tells me there's a "note on my account" that I have to call a particular number to make any changes to my account. Weird, but OK.

She tells me 8-8-8-3-8-8-4-2-4-9. I tell her "that's the number I called and got connected to you". She says hold on, comes back a minute later and says she'll try to transfer me. Line goes silent with no hold music, after a couple minutes I hang up and call the commercial customer line again and this time it accepts it when I put in my phone number, not sure what happened the first time. I get a nice efficient CSR that handles what I need to do perfectly and quickly, like I always have.

Glad AT&T was smart enough to keep the good CSRs for us folks that spend the big bucks :)

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I bailed when AT&T bought DirecTv after being a subscriber since the first week they were in business.
    I have had dealings with AT&T landline and cell service over the years, and billing errors galore, unannounced price increases, and terrible service. Switched to Xfinity at the time when they were really changing up their bad rep, and going all out for customers. Have been with them ever since.

With that said, DirecTv has always had the best picture, was always the first with new tech (HD, 4K), but their two year contracts with a huge rate hike the second year (vs just making each of the 24 months the same price) was a turn off for a lot of people. Then charging for DVR service, charging for multiroom, and charging for each additional room, add on for sports, add on for locals, add on for HD... It got to be to much for me. With Xfinity, one Tivo bolt with 6 tuners, and two Mini's gives me 3 rooms of TV, in HD, along with 250/10 unlimited internet service for LESS than the Choice+ package at AT&T/DirecTv by itself once all the add-on fees were tacked on. And I REQUESTED the two year contract from Xfinity, to lock in the great price. The only down side, all their channels are 720p/60 Mpeg4. While I sit 13 ft from my 65" monitor, it does show occasionally, that the picture is not quite as good as DirecTv...

Basically, what I am getting at, is if AT&T were to run DirecTv like Sling, or Xfinity... Mini-packages, level billing, and getting rid of that ridiculous huge price gouge for a DVR with Multiroom (Xfinity supplies a X1 4K DVR free, and each additional room is $5), and allow you to opt out of locals (Xfinity doesnt either but carries all the locals, even the subchannels), then maybe, just maybe, they could quit hemorrhaging customers.

Heck, they could just go back to the original DirecTv system, let people self install their dishes if they wanted in leu of a contract, bring back Sony and other brand receivers (which were always far ahead of the DirecTv branded equipment which was always slow, and glitchy for the first year) They have one thing no cable system has...the bandwidth to carry full 4K and 8K video channels. With almost all new TVs being 4K, they could rake in customers by just up converting their pristine feeds to 4K/HDR (like the Super Bowl will be), and keep being the high tech leader. I would bet it would not take to long before ESPN and Fox and NBC Sports started sending out 4K/HDR events if there was a provider able to distribute it.

longhorn23, Rich and b4pjoe like this.
  20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How does one do that?

Rich