1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of holiday spirit

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Is it just me, or does it feel like the holidays have lost their meaning?

I get the sense that, someplace along the line, we lost the aspect of the holidays, and treat them more as glorified extended weekends. Think about it....
    • Memorial Day Weekend - The kickoff of the vacation season
    • Fourth of July - Mid-week BBQ and blow stuff up
    • Labor Day - Last Summer Fling!
    • Thanksgiving - Gorge ourselves with food prior to heading to the mall for the brotherly shove for those Black Friday sales
    • Christmas - Get lots of junk, try to gather as a family
    • New Years - Get drunk
    This Christmas season seems to have a "Bah Humbug" funk to it -- more so this year.

It wasn't always that way. Many years ago, I used to look forward to the Christmas season... the hot coco, the caroling, and so on. Now, perhaps of too many finals prior to Christmas, or one too many parties to attend, that feeling of Christmas somehow feels hollow. I just want to scream at the top of my lungs, "Please cancel Christmas. I'm not in the mood!"

Is anyone else feeling this way?

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I don't have kids, so I don't celebrate any of the above.
    I observe Memorial, Veterans, and the Fourth.
    But I do nothing special on those days that would be considered celebration.
    I have always considered the rest to be for the benefit of children.
    I do get drunk on New Years Eve. But that is not unusual behavior for any 'eve'.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I find that holiday spirit is us. My family has our little traditions and we keep them every year. We visit, eat, party, watch...us, my family is Holiday Spirit.

We make it for ourselves and it's fun. :)

Mike

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    If the OP is feeling in a "Bah, Humbug!" mood, I'd suggest he go do some Christmas things. Watch a Christmas movie. Go to a performance of The Messiah. Play some Christmas music. That always works for me.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Speaking specifically of Christmas... I've never been a big fan. When I was a kid and got free toys, sure... that's part of being a kid... but as I grew older and saw how those around me "celebrated" and "valued" things... I became cynical at an early age.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As I posted on another thread, it's hard to have any holiday spirit when it's rammed up our ass like a suppository.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    "Lack of holiday spirit"

When I run low, I go get another fifth.

8. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    What works for me is to remember the reason for the season. Then put it into practice. Give without any expectation of receiving anything back. Help those least able to help themselves in any way you choose. Watch less TV, spend less time on the computer and use that time to help others. Invite a stranger to celebrate with you or your family. I could go on and on.... It's amazing how it makes me feel when I focus less on me than on others.

9. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Very noble thoughts but in today's troubled times I'd be cautious about inviting a stranger to celebrate the season with you and your family.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met."

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I guess you missed what happened in Newtown, Connecticut yesterday Nicky. A "stranger" went into a elementary school and massacred children and adults! :rolleyes:

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Once again, you're (not your) wrong. I didn't miss anything. The shooter certainly wasn't a "stranger" in this small town. It is likely that he was recognized by someone in the school office and was buzzed in. Please pay attention.

On a related note, if you don't like my posts, then just STFU.

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yeah, he was instantly recogonized by his victims. :sure: Feeling a bit "peckish" this morning Nicky?

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well that's the holiday spirit! :rolleyes:

BTW: We have a thread for the shooting in Newton ... please keep conversation about that tragedy there.

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Lessons and Carols last night did wonders for my Christmas spirit. A Messiah performance would help too, but nobody called me this year. Probably Easter or next year.

16. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Makes a big difference if you're married, with children. The holidays all have special meanings when you have kids and can enjoy them as a family

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes and No. This year I am getting presents for a deserving friend of mine who has never gotten a Christmas present other than clothes or something the guardians should have been getting him all along.
    I shop on Amazon. I refuse to get in that holiday shopping madness at the local stores.
    I build a computer for my parents, since they are still on XP with a Celeron now, and not able to enjoy what the internet has to offer.

Basically, making others happy is what Christmas is about, and making others happy, makes me happy.

As far and the No part, my boss figured out how much she was going to have to pay the government in added payroll deductions for our Christmas bonus, and subtracted that amount, plus our share of the income taxes from the bonus amount, so Ms Scrooge shorted us about 1/3 of our bonus. That really turned me off on the whole Christmas spirit. I was going to just give it back to her and tell her not to bother next year, but decided to use the money for the above purchases for friends and family.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It might be your age. I am now 69 and they all are just another day for me.
    Christmas used to be all about the wife and kids. Wife is gone, kids are grown. I give my daughter a credit card and tell her to buy her Christmas for her and my grand daughters. I know it fits, it's the right color, etc. i don't have the stress of trying to get it right anymore.

19. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    That is what I meant. I is about kids and folklore.

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My observation is that all the holidays depend on "family", extended or otherwise.

Growing up, in my family what "celebration" was surrounded with generally the same enthusiasm expressed in Mr. Holtz thread starter post.:(

My wife, on the other hand, had a much more positive experience and has tried to maintain that feeling throughout our many years. I try to not to be an anchor sinking her efforts, and am mostly successful, from my point of view of course.:sure: