Language selection on mkv playback

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by RealGomer, Oct 10, 2014.

1. RealGomer

RealGomer New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I recently loaded several MKV video / media files onto my WD TV Live. I tested three different videos - One converted from ISO to MKV, one directly from disc to MKV, and the third from disc to file using AnyDVD to MKV. I used MakeMKV for all three. When I played the files thru Hopper, all three used the secondary language audio. When I plaed them thru the WD TV Live, all three were in English. Is there a secret handshake or something to get Hopper to use English instead of the secondary audio? We got Hopper installed in May.

2. LordDelacroix

LordDelacroix New Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Noone?

When I play MKV's via the Hopper it is selecting French as the default language. While I do speak and understand French, my family does not andI am unable to find a language selection option anywhere on the play interface or setting for Home Media. These same MKV's play in English on the PC by default. Perhaps I am missing something somewhere?

3. OrangeandBlue33

OrangeandBlue33 Mentor

Dec 15, 2003
    Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I'm running a Plex server and am having the exact same problem. Plays the video great, but I get to hear it in Spanish!

I didn't realize the Hopper had this media playback feature, so I was amazed when I came across this but bummed when the audio playback was wrong. So close...

4. balcy

balcy New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I am not using a Hopper yet (still using a 7 yr old ViP 622) but what you can do is check the movie file with a Windows program like Mediainfo. It shows the video/audio stream information in the file. My guess is the Spanish audio track is the first audio stream and English audio track the second. Plex uses the first audio stream which is the problem. When I convert my videos I strip out any other audio tracks present prior to using Plex so there is only one English audio stream available. There are several good free video converters out there (Handbrake, MediaCoder, etc) which are pretty quick.