1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop aircard RV

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by birdman1, Feb 18, 2008.

1. birdman1

birdman1 Legend

Nov 19, 2006
    I'm looking for an aircard for my laptop when I use my RV. I don;t want to sign up for a one or two year deal when I'm only going to be in the RV maybe 4 moths out of the year. What I'm looking for is a pay as you go type card or a one that I can sign up and use for 90 days.

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    One approach might be to use an advanced cellphone as a wireless modem. My T-mobile MDA comes with a nice unlimited data plan (which I use all the time to read emails and this site...) and then also makes a great laptop modem when I'm travelling.

I'm sure there are similar arrangements you can make for adding data service to most phones for those times you need it on your plan then drop again when your not RV'ing.

Good luck,
    Tom

3. birdman1

birdman1 Legend

Nov 19, 2006
    Tom,

Thanks I'll look into that.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Check with you own cell company first. If you buy your aircard from your carrier at full price, or
    if you get a compatible third-party card, you shouldn't have to make a 1 or 2 year commitment.