1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Locals Outage??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by alacazam, Sep 29, 2013.

1. alacazam

alacazam Mentor

Oct 8, 2004
    My local stations (Champaign/Decatur/Springfield Illinois have been out for several hours now so I decided to call Directv to see if I could find out what happened. I was told they have SEVERAL states with local station outages and are working to get the problem resolved ASAP and (hopefully within 24 hours according to the CSR). CSR didn't have specific problem information as to what has happened to cause such a large outage.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Most likely cause is a fiber optic cable cut between the reception/consolidation point for those markets and the uplink center. However we will probably never know as it will be considered business confidential

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All the more reason to have the OTA backup....

1 person likes this.
  4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    +1

This is one main reason I was a little surprised reading here in past threads how many were so quick to send their AM21s to the closet after DIRECTV would add HD channels to their market.

It's still a handy backup (that is for those who can acceptably receive OTA in the first place of course) in case the satellite feed which is vulnerable to these sorts of outages goes down like this.

For instance, during the closing ceremonies of the '12 Olympics when the local feed from my NBC outlet KNBC went down, i simply switched to it's OTA channel 4-1 and kept watching, whereas many others were angrily swamping DIRECTV's phone lines and cursing them on social media for the outage. :)

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    For most people yeah. Here in southeast CT I only get PBS via antenna. I dream of OTA backup. :D

Mike

6. zeus

zeus Legend

May 18, 2011
    The KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota is 2,063 ft tall and provides a signal radius of 55.6 miles. With that as a reference, I'd need a tower approximately 8,000 ft tall with an amplifier the size of a house to pick up ABC, NBC and FOX in HD OTA.

Anyway, tough break as it was premiere night for a lot of network shows and they will not repeat.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    True, which is why I have edited my original post as a reference to those who can acceptably receive OTA to begin with of course. :)

And also, the physical height of the broadcast tower is not truly indicative of the signal's reach, but the "Height Above Average Terrain" (HAAT) of the antenna array mounted on the tower structure which is practically always going to be lower than the actual height of the antenna above the local ground level (or AGL).

This combined with the shorter range of a DTV signal compared to analog due to it's "cliff effect" means that many do not have adequate reception capability for OTA.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    He was posting about North Dakota, I'm going to guess that the height of the broadcast tower and HAAT are pretty much identical :)

9. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I was out yesterday evening for a few hours across the board.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Wow, if true while I understand flatlands, I didn't think ND had that much of a featureless terrain to where the HAAT of a broadcast tower is pretty much the same as it's physical height above the immediate ground around its base. :)

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I would need a 100-mile roof antenna in order to get OTA.

12. hdfan1

hdfan1 AllStar

Oct 16, 2008
    I wonder I the problem is back tonight. All the Dayon locals are heavily pixelated and basically unwatchable tonight