DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Largest hardrive that can be added to HR20?

4K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Bish 
#1 ·
I have seen 750gb and 1tb.

Is there anyone that has added a larger drive

#4 ·
frivera28 said:
what about enclosures where you can add multiple drives. I would like to add as much space as possible.
I believe you can do that. I have not looked in to it to much yet because I have not got one since I don't save my recording's. So hopefully someone can answer for sure. I would also like to know for sure because when the new HD channels are released I will get one then.

#5 ·
There is someone here that has added a 3.5TB setup...

The limitation is finding an eSATA solution, that will allow you to do the more complex RAID options with many drives...
Without a dedicated special eSATA controller, or requiring any type of special software to be installed...

With 1TB SATA drives available... getting 2TB working should be pretty straight forward...

#6 ·
frivera28 said:
what about enclosures where you can add multiple drives. I would like to add as much space as possible.
I have a four- drive enclosure that works fine.

The enclosure has a Silicon Image 4726 RAID chip inside. The RAID chip makes the four drives appear as a single drive to the HR20.

The only disadvantage is that you can't grow the storage without the HR20 erasing everything and starting fresh.

#10 ·
LI-SVT said:
I haven't been following the outboard hard drive threads at all. Initially a biger drive did not add recording hours. Has this changed?
On the HR20 that changed back in October when the eSATA drives were enabled.

Cheers,
Tom

#12 ·
GollyGee said:
I have a four- drive enclosure that works fine.

The enclosure has a Silicon Image 4726 RAID chip inside. The RAID chip makes the four drives appear as a single drive to the HR20.

The only disadvantage is that you can't grow the storage without the HR20 erasing everything and starting fresh.
Can you post a link for the drive? Are four drives the biggest option?

So if I had 5 1tb drives. I would be able to use 5 tb of storage for my dvr?

#14 ·
BrettStah said:
Just keep in mind that when you attach an eSATA drive, it does not add that capacity to the existing capacity. The internal drive is unused, and none of your existing recordings, guide data, scheduled recordings, etc. are available.
Can you unplug the eSATA drive and revert back to the internal drive?? Will then the exisiting recordings and etc. become available again?

#17 ·
BrettStah said:
Just keep in mind that when you attach an eSATA drive, it does not add that capacity to the existing capacity. The internal drive is unused, and none of your existing recordings, guide data, scheduled recordings, etc. are available.
Is it completely unused, or is it just not used to store recordings? I.e., is the internal drive used to run the software and the external used to store recordings? What I'm getting at is, could I use the internal drive in a multi-drive enclosure? On the other hand, it would be nice to know the internal drive is in there as a backup.

What size is the internal drive? If the only option is to use one or the other, it wouldn't really be worth getting one that's only a little bit larger.

#18 ·
The internal drive is completely ignored when an external drive is attached. The software is completely stored in flash memory on the CPU/Video mother board. And, alas all the settings that aren't stored in non-volatile memory but on the disk are forgotten; you'll have to reset them: Seriese Links, recording defaults, one-time recordings, etc.

The internal drive is ~320gb depending on which HR20 model.

Cheers,
Tom

#19 ·
Tom Robertson said:
The internal drive is completely ignored when an external drive is attached. The software is completely stored in flash memory on the CPU/Video mother board. And, alas all the settings that aren't stored in non-volatile memory but on the disk are forgotten; you'll have to reset them: Seriese Links, recording defaults, one-time recordings, etc.

The internal drive is ~320gb depending on which HR20 model.

Cheers,
Tom
My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.

#20 ·
Bish said:
My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.
You can send it to me. :D If I get enough, I'll have all the drives I need for a modest RAID5 system. :)

Cheers,
Tom

#21 ·
frivera28 said:
Can you post a link for the drive? Are four drives the biggest option?

So if I had 5 1tb drives. I would be able to use 5 tb of storage for my dvr?
You have (5) 1TB drives sitting around? Wow, that's hardcore. Can we be friends? :)

#22 ·
Bish said:
So does that mean you cracked the case on your HR-20? Shame on you.

#24 ·
Radio Enginerd said:
So does that mean you cracked the case on your HR-20? Shame on you.
Yup. More difficult than the HR10-250 but not bad. Much better mounting system in the HR20 IMO. No more "warranty void if removed" either :lol: Took a little alcohol to remove the residue from the back where the sticker was. I'm gambling since it is a leased unit and Directv usually has their heads up their.......well you know, that they won't catch the sticker if I replace it under warranty. Besides, since I'm an A list customer, I'm sure they will just waive any potential fees:hurah:

Bottom line for me was it is going in a bedroom and I don't want another box housing the drive. Besides, the FreeAgentPro is lit up like a Christmas tree when powered on.

#26 ·
Steve said:
Won't you need to hang onto the 320, in case you have to send the HR20 back to D*? /s
Yes I should. Given that I have 4 other DVR's (2 HD, 2-SD), I'm dying to try their "DVR" drive in another machine. I could always pull the other 320Gb from my other HR20, use one of the two for something else and keep the one in case I have a failure. Knocking on wood....I have not have a single hardware issue on any of my dvr's. Until I made that statement of course :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.