1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Largest hardrive that can be added to HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by frivera28, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frivera28

frivera28 New Member

May 18, 2007
    I have seen 750gb and 1tb.

Is there anyone that has added a larger drive

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I believe you can add as big of a eSata HD as you can find. If I am wrong about that someone please correct me.

3. frivera28

frivera28 New Member

May 18, 2007
    what about enclosures where you can add multiple drives. I would like to add as much space as possible.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I believe you can do that. I have not looked in to it to much yet because I have not got one since I don't save my recording's. So hopefully someone can answer for sure. I would also like to know for sure because when the new HD channels are released I will get one then.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is someone here that has added a 3.5TB setup...

The limitation is finding an eSATA solution, that will allow you to do the more complex RAID options with many drives...
    Without a dedicated special eSATA controller, or requiring any type of special software to be installed...

With 1TB SATA drives available... getting 2TB working should be pretty straight forward...

6. GollyGee

GollyGee AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    I have a four- drive enclosure that works fine.

The enclosure has a Silicon Image 4726 RAID chip inside. The RAID chip makes the four drives appear as a single drive to the HR20.

The only disadvantage is that you can't grow the storage without the HR20 erasing everything and starting fresh.

7. Bluto17

Bluto17 Legend

Jan 31, 2007
  8. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I haven't been following the outboard hard drive threads at all. Initially a biger drive did not add recording hours. Has this changed?

9. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Which 2 drive enclosures seem to work the best and be the most popular?

I've got the spare 500GB drives, just need an enclosure.....

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    On the HR20 that changed back in October when the eSATA drives were enabled.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Thanks Tom. I might be shopping for a hard drive soon!

12. frivera28

frivera28 New Member

May 18, 2007
    Can you post a link for the drive? Are four drives the biggest option?

So if I had 5 1tb drives. I would be able to use 5 tb of storage for my dvr?

13. BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    Just keep in mind that when you attach an eSATA drive, it does not add that capacity to the existing capacity. The internal drive is unused, and none of your existing recordings, guide data, scheduled recordings, etc. are available.

14. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    Can you unplug the eSATA drive and revert back to the internal drive?? Will then the exisiting recordings and etc. become available again?

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If you haven't updated the s/w in between, definitely. Not sure if an upgrade was performed, however. I'm guessing "yes", tho. Others? /s

16. dragonbait

dragonbait Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    Yes, it works fine after software upgrades. In fact I booted with the internal drive for the first time since February this weekend when I upgraded the UPS the equipment is on. Everything worked fine.

17. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Is it completely unused, or is it just not used to store recordings? I.e., is the internal drive used to run the software and the external used to store recordings? What I'm getting at is, could I use the internal drive in a multi-drive enclosure? On the other hand, it would be nice to know the internal drive is in there as a backup.

What size is the internal drive? If the only option is to use one or the other, it wouldn't really be worth getting one that's only a little bit larger.

18. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    The internal drive is completely ignored when an external drive is attached. The software is completely stored in flash memory on the CPU/Video mother board. And, alas all the settings that aren't stored in non-volatile memory but on the disk are forgotten; you'll have to reset them: Seriese Links, recording defaults, one-time recordings, etc.

The internal drive is ~320gb depending on which HR20 model.

Cheers,
    Tom

19. Bish

Bish Mentor

Apr 20, 2007
    My HR20-700 came with a Seagate DB35 320Gb drive. This is the new "designed for dvr" drive. My 750Gb Barracuda works just fine in it's place though. I will have to find a use for the original.

20. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    You can send it to me. :D If I get enough, I'll have all the drives I need for a modest RAID5 system. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.