1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last of the (not) top 6 E* distant nets gone for many now

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Marcus S, Oct 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    If you where still receiving grandfathered distant nets that where not in the top 6, you where switched to the closest top 6 city Oct 11. My letter read you are currently receiving #N/A, you will be switched to #N/A, your new channels wil start with #N/A. Also of interest is that not all cities will move to spot, but it seems even those distant net subs where switched.

What are your thoughts about this?

2. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    They are turning on E8. So, most of the non 6 distants will move to spots ASAP. So, unless you were under the spot, you would have lost your distants. They want the flexibility to move cities to spot if they want to, and not have out of market people complain. On 119 only NYC and LA markets are not on spots.

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I think they are planning for the time when eventually all cities other than the 6 will be on spot beams. They probably feel it is better to take care of it now than wait and have a bunch more subscribing to the non 6 and have to change them out then.

4. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    -whine mode on
    As far as Texas spots, San Antonio is on E*'s list to be moved, Austin is not currently, thus probably why my letter was chalked full of #N/A. Still sucks because this occured on a Fri, and everyone at E* is clueless on how to restore my Austin channels. I'll have to make a call on monday to E* central. If indeed Austin is on the switch list, then I understand, if not, then I should not have been switched. Funny that ATS said I was less than 2% of all subs that qual for distant anything nets, like that makes any difference in getting my AUS channels back.

I was sub'd to DEN & AUS nets, LA-FOX, CBSHD-E. After E* switched me from AUS to DAL, I switched from DAL to DAL-NBC only. I wouldn't give any ABC affiliate a $.01 if I could help it. I am sure E* will wave SHVIA in my face or use the old those distant nets don't want sub's out of area, or it's E*'s new policy. Let's see, no SHVIA rules state anything about not receiving distant nets if I qual for them and they remain on conus. I have 4 waivers I never had to use from the AUS affiliates, new policy -- now that we will go round and round on.
    -whine mode off

I would rather pay the $5 fee side-drop fee then find out 3 to 6 mo's from now that Austin is still on conus.

5. wrate

wrate Legend

May 7, 2002
    What are the Top 6 markets?

N.Y. L.A. Denver Dallas Atlanta and Chicago?

6. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Yup.

7. Mike123abc

Jul 19, 2002
    Austin most likely will be on a spot beam. E8 has a spot that goes from Dallas to San Antonio, and it has 3 transponders in it. So, they could move 30-36 stations to spots. This should be enough to move all non distants Dallas, all of Austin and San Antonio to spot. Waco was put on the Houston spot. The probably will have room to pick up another TX DMA.

Dish Carries:

Austin - 6
    Dallas - 10 (plus 4 distants ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX)
    San Antonio - 9

This is only 25 stations... They could stop there or could add some smaller DMAs like #109 Tyler-Longview and #163 Abilene.

8. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    If E* plans to add many additional cities, I doubt all existing cities that are still on conus, excluding the top six, will be moved to spot.

9. Mike123abc

Jul 19, 2002
    Some non distants cities will not go to spots. Minneapolis, Nashville, etc do not have a spot over them, so no way to move them to a spot. The NE and midwest are probably too crowded already for spots.

10. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    I am almost 100% sure Nashville's locals ch. 8550--8556 on 110 are on Spot Beam tp 6 at 110 now....
    At this time anyhow...not sure what tomorrow brings..
    But if i am correct - I guess the "Map" saying that No Spot beam over Nashville is incorrect now (somehow anyhow - maybe after E8 or something...i am not an expert on Spot Beams :)

11. Mike123abc

Jul 19, 2002
    Yeah I noticed that, and people also claiming Colorado Springs on spotbeam too. There is no spot beam for CO shown either on E8 map.... http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/

Makes me suspect that they rearranged the spots before they launched (the map was at the FCC over a year ago).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.