1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest Dish Ads

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DoyleS, Aug 22, 2013.

1. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I saw that Dish was trying to combat DirecTVs ads giving free NFL Sunday. Dish is offering free lifetime HD and free HBO,Cinemax, Showtime and Starz for 3 months.

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    And the Hopper is only a 1000 times better than the Genie . . .

3. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Funny. How is only having 3 tuners better than having 5 tuners?

1 person likes this.
  4. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Dish attacking Directv, Directv attacking Dish, but both companies are contemplating on mergers LOL :)

5. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    So are they turning on the movie channels for all, or does a customer have to do something?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe these are new subscriber offers ... so no, not for all.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    First... you can add OTA and have a 4th tuner... also, it depends on how you use those tuners.

With a Hopper + OTA, using all 4 tuners simultaneously it is actually possible to record 7 different programs at the same time.

8. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    7? LOL. You have to record 4 Network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) only at primetime and most will be shows I don't want. That 1 OTA tuner will be mostly those same 4 networks. I would rather have 5 full time tuners that I can record exactly what I want.

DISH made a mistake limiting the Hopper to 3 tuners. Are they going to correct that in the future? They need to.

9. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    If ya ain't gonna like the answer, ya shouldn't ask the question ;)

10. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Not true, you can watch/record as many of the network shows at the same time at any time, not just primetime. Just last night I was recording a show on NBC and watching a show on CBS at the same time but using only 1 tuner.

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Dish is a little more forthcoming about horking up 2 Hoppers vs. DirecTV just issuing one Genie.

An OTA adapter (AM-21) can be added to a Genie to up tuner count.

I have DirecTV and Dish, but neither a Hopper or a Genie. Still, I really like having both.

The 1000 times better thing is laughable.

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Many markets, like mine have other OTA channels (PBS, CW, etc) that carry programs we want to watch that are not covered by the "primetime" tuner.

Also, as someone else already pointed out... "primetime" is anytime now... it works 24/7 to share a single tuner for your ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX networks.

Also also, you can get a second Hopper and have 3 more SAT tuners and even 1 more OTA tuner if you want... and if you're using one Hopper for the LiLs, then you don't need to do that on both since you can watch recordings from either Hopper on any Hopper or Joey in the system... so you could then have potentially 11 things recorded at the same time!

Meanwhile... how often do you really need those 5 tuners in a Genie?

13. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    More often than you think with sports.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Unless I'm missing something... you can only have one Genie per account, right? So you're limited to those 5 tuners. Dish, however, lets you have 2 Hoppers... and with 2 Hoppers you have 6 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners (if you add the optional module to both).

So... even without the LiL tuner sharing feature that lets you record 4 LiLs on a single tuner... 6>5... so, that seems to favor Dish, no?

15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    You can have unlimited additional HR's if you wish on top of the Genie.
    I currently have 10 tuners, 9 of them can Record, Pause and rewind live tv on any channel anytime of the day or night 365 days a year.

Primetime anytime and OTA would not suit my house since Maybe twice a week we may have 1 or 2 shows on the local networks worth recording.
    A regular 722 or HR would easily suit those needs.

But I guess that's why we have choices. I just prefer mine more then 3 hoppers. Plus I've seen the mess it takes to hook up 3 and 4 hoppers. LOL!
    I'll stick with my Swm 16.

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... truth be told, I'm definitely not a DirecTV basher. I have had bad CSR experiences with them a LONG time ago in the past... but I've had those same issues with Time Warner Cable as well. I got Dish years ago because someone I knew at work recommended them AND Time Warner had not yet ran cables in my neighborhood (but they put me on a waiting list without telling me that little nugget!), and when I called the Dish installer I got next-day installation!

I've been happy ever since, even with the faults they have from time to time... no company is perfect. I see exaggeration in both company's advertisements... and they mostly have the same channels and fairly comparable hardware from what I can tell.

1 person likes this.
  17. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Factor in a HD DVR for added tuners especially with whole home service if you want to save the recording space between DVR's , but the 1tb recording space is not enough if you record a lot of shows or sports on a Genie, but that's why I have 2tb external something that the Hopper already have internally, and of course I want EHD transfer per account. I can't speak of Dish since I never had it, But be happy you have either/or instead of the dreaded cable company.

18. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I had a couple free upgrades over the 4 years I had Directv with several bill credits and free Sunday Ticket so I can't complain, as of some people also had deals with Dish also. But that's what good paying customers will get if you talk to the right reps (retention).

19. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    LOL,

DirecTV would never do it, but an upgraded AM21 with 5 (!!!!) tuners would be an interesting shot at Dish's recent advertising.

Stick a 5 tuner AM21 on an HR34/44 and you'd be able to record 10 shows at once! In most markets, viewers could snag ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS !!

If we follow DISH's math about how good their Hopper is, a 5 tuner AM21 would make a Genie about 10,000 times better than the Hopper.

:coffee

20. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    That'd be a pretty hefty load for a data connection. 5x18Mbps is almost 100Mbps. Not saying it can't be done, but sustaining that kind of data load is going to be big. And I'm not sure the HR34/44 has the ability to write that much data (5 OTA + 5 satellite) to a hard drive at once without some serious fragmentation issues.

That said, I'd love to see Dish come out with a 2-tuner OTA module. DirecTV's AM21 is already twice as good. :blackeye: