1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest STELA version is for 10 years

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by FTA Michael, Mar 27, 2010.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Broadcasting & Cable's John Eggerton reports that the US Senate passed a 10-year version of STELA because the accounting involved made it revenue-neutral (or positive), as opposed to the 5-year version which costs more than it brings in. Now it's off to the House, which is in Spring Break.

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), chairman of the Senate Judiciary, said it would be okay if the House passed the earlier 5-year version, and if the 10-year version becomes law, that wouldn't stop Congress from making new satellite TV rules before the 10-year expiration. Like all those times Congress didn't wait until the last minute to beat reauthorization sunsets. ;)

Read it all, I dare you: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/450782-Senate_Passes_Pay_Go_Friendlier_10_Year_STELA.php

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Easter recess ends on Monday April 12th.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im just tired of all the delays. I want this to get passed so we can sort out how it is all gonna relate to us. Its crazy to me that it should of been done in December and yet now its extended till the end of April. Good lord get some resolution on this already and move on.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It took a year (or 40) to do health care reform. Anything more than a rubber stamp renewal of the satellite viewer rules should take time. Especially since Congress won't look at it again until they are forced to in 2014/2019 (depending on the final bill).

STELA isn't campaign commercial level legislation. They only reason why it is being dealt with now is because of the expiration date of the old law.

5. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    if this passes. what is the bottom line about distant networks? do we get to keep them until the law ends? what's the deal here?

6. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Ultimately, some version will pass Congress and be signed by the President. Only at that time will we see the actual wording and be able to determine the bottom line for distant networks. Any talk now is just speculation. I am, however, very curious to find out what the bottom line will be for distant networks.

7. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    any word on when this will be voted on?