1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Launch delayed till July 18th!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SParker, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
  2. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Damn! :(

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, better to get the satellite fixed than send up a dead bird!

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Especially if your bird doesn't carry any insurance beyond launch insurance.

5. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Well, Tony, I wanna let you know that this might be the reason OK City locals have been delayed. Dish said they'd be launched on June 19th or soon thereafter. You might as well take them off until July 18th.

6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Ogre,

I don't get the connnection. Ok City was to have been uplinked to 119° spotbeam.

Anyway, I'm glad they caught the problem with E*8 before it was too late!

See ya
    Tony

7. J Rath

J Rath AllStar/Supporter

Apr 13, 2002
  8. Frapp

Frapp Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    TICK TOCK, TICK TOCk .....

With DirecTV adding more locals, better PQ and more customers, I really think ( IMHO ) that the Dish/DTV merger will collapse in the next 3/4 months, DTV will look elsewhere and Rupert or another large entity will take DTV and give Dish Network competition that may finally send Ergen looking for a buyer.

I know my opinion is in the minority here, but that is what I feel will take place. Dish Networks whole future may be riding on this one.

Time will tell :shrug:

9. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I never thought of it that way before, Frapp, but I think that that could VERY well become a reality because you brought up several good points.

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't think there is a chance of this happening. For this to happen, assuming government approval, Charlie would have to walk away since they have a signed deal. This won't happen. GMH stock is down so far (along with Dish) they wouldn't be willing to let it go at current prices and Rupert is so mortgaged at this point that he couldn't do anything if he wanted to. He just recently wrote off somewhere in the neighborhood of $4Billion on his Gemstar investment alone along with additional writeoffs on other companies.

11. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And why would E* go for a buyer? E is still adding more customers per quarter than DirecTV. E* has had positive ebitda for some time and is headed towards its frist "real" profit.

If E* is forced out of this deal by the government (and that is the only entity that can kill the deal right now), my guess it that E* will make due with the resources it has and even start going after KA band.

I see no good financial reason why E* would look for any kind of a buyer.

See ya
    Tony

12. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Mergers and buyouts sometimes catch everyone by surprise. I've seen examples of proposed mergers that didn't happen because someone else came with a better offer. It's not always obvious what companies might be interested in acquiring others. It's entirely possible that another company (one that none of us would suspect) is looking at D* as we write...

13. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Yes, there are all sorts of people looking to buy a floundering company that has never made a profit, doesn't care how much it pays to vendors, and has millions on non-paying customers.

[Rouses himself from 1999 daydream] Ooops, sorry, I forgot that @home.com, pets.com, reel.com and most of the other companies that fit that description sank without a trace....

14. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    The merger will likely receive regulatory approval with some reasonable requirements.

If the merger doesn't go through, E* will look to partner with a large program provider, for example, Disney. The need to partner with a program provider would be further reinforced if News Corp. were to eventually acquire D*.

15. wrate

wrate Legend

May 7, 2002
    Has it officially been said that July 18th will be the launching date?

The spaceflightnow site does not have a date yet.

Wrate

16. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I am told that OK City is now up and the following stations are being transmitted, KOCO-ABC, KWTV-CBS, KFOR-NBC,
    KOKH-FOX, KOCB-WB, KAUT-UPN, KETA-PBS and independent
    KSBI.

Maybe Charlie will clear this up tonight.

I want Hartford Locals, DirecTV has them already! Arrggg.

17. J Rath

J Rath AllStar/Supporter

Apr 13, 2002
    I don't think any "official" date has been set yet. The July 18th date was floated by some of the news wires when the launch was scrubbed. Maybe something will be mentioned on the chat tonight. :shrug:

18. TBarclay

TBarclay AllStar

Mar 24, 2002
    Charlie said last night that the satellite is being "fixed" right now and he expects to launch when they can get a new launch window...probably in 4 to 6 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.