1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lawn care

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nabisco, May 17, 2011.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Just wondering if there is any good products that are pretty easy to use( my neighbor has a lawn mower fixed up with a sprayer} that i can apply to the lawn to kill off weed and such. i do have flowers around that i want to keep(why i dont have my neighbor do it) and do i just use regular grass killer along my retaining wall and such? any other info or help would be great! Thanks!!

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    We go all natural here - just lay down a good bit of Scotts Organic fertilizer. The best weed preventative is usually healthy grass.

I think there are organic weed killers, too, but not sure. I have kids and don't like the thought of them playing where I spread chemicals that kills organic matter.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I use Scotts Weed and Feed a few times in the Spring and Scotts Winterizer in the Fall. Does a pretty decent job.

Luckily my kids don't eat grass when they're out playing.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :rolleyes:

Agent Orange is only harmful if ingested. Gotcha.

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I gave up. Between the fireants and the dollar weed here in Florida, I was spending $80 a month on Scotts and bug killer bags. I hired a local company for $190 for a year to spray once a month and I wash my hands of the damn process. I live in an HOA community and if they don't do the job, they get the fine.

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Is that a brand name of weed killer?

The lawn is perfectly safe after watering which takes place 24 hours after application. Since I usually apply on Mon or Tue, and the kids only use the backyard on weekends, I've got no worries.

Sometimes I let them eat food with artificial color in it too. I'm a gambler.

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I don't apply chemical based fertilizers to my lawn and don't let my kids get exposed to crap that MAY pose a danger to them in the future. I also don't let them ingest artificial sweeteners and try to use natural alternatives whenever I can.

Just because you don't agree with my choices doesn't mean you should mock them.

8. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Relax.

9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :rolleyes:

10. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    The stuff I use is bayor advance all in one weed and crab grass killer. Just hook it up to a hose and spray it on. Its the only stuff that I have found to kill clover, crabgrass, and what ever else the neighbors yard throws at me. I will put a picture up of what weeds I have to put up with.

Sent from my HTC EVO using DBSTalk Android app

11. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Is there any special time to apply the stuff? or did i miss my window? the kids, cats and dog all roam the yard so i want something safe. clover and crab grass would be a plus for sure. any certain tools or anything to apply? Thanks guys for the help!

12. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    No special time to apply it. It killed just about every weed in about 2 weeks. Some weeds need a second treatment. I use it whenever I think things are getting bad. It is safe for pets and kids after 24 hours but it will smell like "lawn spray" for about a week. Here is a link to the products pdf. All you need is a hose and a constant flow of water.

And if you want picture proof that can handle the worst...
    [​IMG]
    *Lawn not mowed in 2+ years.

It doesn't look to bad right now because of the snow now on it. :nono2:

13. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Mrs. Fluffybear uses coffee grounds in her garden and occasionally has been known to spread some on the lawn as well. I am not exactly sure what the benefit of the coffee grounds is but I have noticed that our Zyosia tends to green up before & stay green longer then anyone else in our neighborhood.

FYI, Starbucks gives away free coffee grounds. There is typically a small bucket just inside the store which contains bags of coffee grounds. Depending on the time of day, we have been known to pick up as many as 5 or 6 bags during a stop.

14. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    That bayer advanced stuff works great.. Had a tree (right over where I park my van) that was full of aphids.. always dropping crap on my van.. one treatment (1/2 bottle in 2gal of water) and it wiped them out.. even this year it still is doing good so far..

15. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    The secret to a great lawn:

Sometime in the Spring:

Week 1: Weed killer (spray on or spread)
    Week 2: Weed preventer (spread)
    Week 3: Fertilizer

Repeat the process in the fall but instead of fertilizer use winterizer.

The trick is to kill the weeds first with the killer. Then prevent them. Then fertilize what's left. You don't want to fertilize weeds!

16. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I'll attest to the Bayer as well. I end up laying down about 12 gallons of spray (mixed in water for the total) via backpack sprayers on two several week apart missions (6 gal each run).

Use basic roundup around the borderlands and the 4 month formula on my gravel overflow/RV parking pads (first application a few weeks ago was 12 gal festival of fun). A second run in a week or 2 depending on weather and I'll be done till the fall shut down time.

I've nearly an acre of lawn, plus, beds, and borders. Last year I tried weed-n-feed granules (great to just drive the tractor and have the spinner fling it out, great weed control, out of control spring growth though:nono2:) I had to mow the front lawns (where I use a walk behind mower) twice a week.

As I'm nestled in thousands of acres of working farmlands I get clovers, vines, and other nefarious intruders from all the adjacent fields. March through June is a pain then July hits and I can ignore it for a few months for the most part. Then fall hits and all the rodents try to move indoors.

Don "Last week my smallest dog deposited 1/2 a mole in my MB closet. It did not smell like victory" Bolton

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm out in the wilds too, so weed control is an ongoing battle that really can't be won. I had a fair start last year before the skies dried up for 3 months and everything went to various shades of tan & brown.

Got lots of green right now so I spent part of the morning spraying money on different types of growing things.

18. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    !rolling depressing when you say it like that.

19. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    When you consider that a large portion of what we spread on our lawns ends up in the watershed, streams, rivers, estuaries, we are wasting a tremendous amount of money and creating other problems.

While I certainly won't win the yard of the month, I don't mind mowing the weeds!

20. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :lol: Was just coming to mention this from today's local news: