1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layer3 tv

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by thyname, May 27, 2016.

1. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Anybody here experienced them? I signed up for updates a while back, and surprisingly I received an invitation for install today.

I live in N Va

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what is that ? could you post pertinent URL ?

3. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    It is a new cable tv provider. Start up.

Www.layer3tv.com

2 people like this.
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    major question is how long it will lasts ?

5. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    That's one of the reasons I am posting this here, and establishing a thread.

Your guess is as good as mine.

The technology looks advanced though, many cool features, plus the delivery of the content is somehow unique.

Below is a link on their channel lineup for DC area:

http://layer3tv.com/static/pdf/Channel_List_DC.pdf

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    actually you did it twice

7. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    I did it once. Not sure why it was duplicated. I requested the other thread to be deleted.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OK

9. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Sounds good!

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Looks like they are a cable overbuilder - try them out but don't be surprised if they fold.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Apparently not available in Southern California. Query response says my zip code is not supported yet.

12. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Installs have started in DC metro area. For now, their contract is with Comacast only, so people in N. Va under Cox would not be able to get them. I have yet to meet anybody who installed Lyer 3 tv, and a Google search shows nothing

13. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    What do you mean Comcast only? They share the same infrastructure?

14. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Yes. I spoke with them, as they called me. I had put my contact info in their website to get updates. It sounds like they are using Comcast infrastructure / line to the houses, for their delivery of their service.

15. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Hmm that's interesting. Wonder what's special about comcasts DOCSIS 3 that only they are utilized? Assuming you have a big enough pipe, this IPTV platform should work. Maybe they have a special deal with Comcast to mark these packets higher QoS and cap exempt.

Makes sense to go over already established infrastructure than spend billions of dollars and decades of time building from the ground up.

16. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I signed up fro service last Wednesday, and everything arrived, on Friday for a self-install. Did that on Saturday. It was a breeze. Contacted customer support, fro activation, a surprisingly pleasant experience. I do not remember the last time I called any service provider, except the City of Longmont Utility Company, to get such attentive and pleasant service.

Being on Longmont's 1GB fiber service certainly makes Layer3 run quite nicely. No buffering, no freezes, no drops. The PQ is amazing, even on 480i. I found the settings, set it to 1080p and Dolby Digital sound, and it looks and sound great. Very quick in changing channels (similar to DirecTV or DISH). A nice selection of channels, and even Chiller in HD. I also like that a number of local broadcast sub-channels are included. With more to come. About 2/3 of the Denver channels are available.

The only issues, if you can call it that, besides getting used to a new provider:

1. No obvious way to change the amount of time, before the Energy Saver kicks in.
    2. There is a short delay, when you turn on a TV with a secondary or slave box. I chalk this up to synchronization of my TV and equipment to my network.

I am running everything over Ethernet, as I know my wireless will not reach every where nice.

I have installed these, they run through my home wiring to my router:
    \
    TP-Link AV1200 Powerline Adapter, Gigabit w/ Power Outlet Pass-through, Up to 1200Mbps (TL-PA8010P KIT)

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-through-TL-PA8010P-KIT/dp/B00Y3QPG1A

I have installed Switches:

TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plastic Desktop Switch (TL-SG1008D)

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigabit-Ethernet-Plastic-TL-SG1008D/dp/B001EVGIYG

With this set up, combined with an ASUS-RT-AC68U router, I have no issues.

As I know Layer3 is just starting out, I expect glitches in hardware and firmware. I have seen it with Genie from DirecTV and Hopper with DISH. So, people have to be patient on that account.

FYI, I did try IPTV streaming, most people know what I mean. The PQ, support, and experience was terrible. Making cable TV, from your worst provider, sounding good. The one thing you could count on, that chances were very good that the channel you wanted to watch, was down or buffering. I decided, after three months, it was not worth the frustration.

Layer3 certainly has been a far more positive experience. I am surprised with all the negative comments, but for my needs, it is a great alternative.

17. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    So you can use any ISP as long as its a certain speed? The set top boxes just connect via Ethernet or wifi? How is the on screen guide and DVR? Easy to use?

EDIT: Found a review:
    Looks great but yeah ISP Caps are going to limit it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  18. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    My ISP is owned by the City of Longmont, and has no caps. It operates at 1Gbs/1Gbs. So, it quite nice.

From my understanding, though, the minimal suggested speed is 75Mbs. Also, some ISPs do have caps. Layer3, though, like the did with Longmont's service, try to enter into arrangements with local ISPs to get around the cap issue. As Layer3 ha steh abuility to go up to 4k (NASA channels is 24 hours 4k), plus 4k moveis and programs on demand; you need good network capacity. reason why I opted for Ethernet.

FYI, Layer3, can set up your primary and slave units, so they run over MOCA, as a secondary alternative. I would opt for that, then doing wireless. I am not sure how great sending 4k over wireless will be, let alone 1080p.

As for the Layer3 equipment. It is very easy to set up. Pretty much plug and play. It is new, it has some bugs, but nothing that are show stoppers.

If you remember the early days of Hopper or Genie, then those of the kind of things. Sometimes you have to reboot, and the like.

The pop up EPG shows two hours, but there is also a menu based guide which, looks like 2 1/2 hours. Channel changes are quick.

There are very few user settings, so you can't change font size, the guide, and the like. Though, you can set audio and resolution.

When you connect to the box, you can set up a account for each home user, ifd esired. As a single eprson house hold, this is just a screen to pass through.

After connecting, you will see a mosaic of five channels, these are based on the most watched channels. It also shoes a list of shows or movies you would be interested in. lus a means to search fro content, connect to teh DVR, etc.

The DVR portion is easy to use. Go through the guide, or search, click on what you want to record, done. It doe snot have a feature for starting a show early, but does have to ability to extend. Our CS affiliate tends to start shows early, but their DVR was smart enough to record from teh absolute beginning of the show.

Like Satellite, or cable, there is a time delay, because of transmission from source to provider to you. I did not time it directly, but it seemed like it was about 30 seconds.

There is one annoyance, for whatever reason, if you are watching a TV show, and you do not use the remote, after 45 minutes you will get an energy saver pop up; 2 hours for movies. Just click the remote, pop up goes away. Do not, and a screen save pops up. I inquired about this, and this will be user configurable in the near future. The other annoyance, is that I have had to reboot the slave box, when I just turn on the TV connected to it. It is like it lost sync, to the network, in some way.

Considering this is new hardware, firmware and a provider, I must give them some leeway.

The PQ on the channels, even the 480i channels, look great. The audio is great. If a channel exists in HD, it is in HD. Yes, Chiller, if you had it on DISH or DirectTV, never looked so good, as it is in HD. And, if you ever experienced IPTV, via otehr sources, what you get here is far superior.

If you are tech savy, you can set this up yourself. You do, they give you $10 off fro 10 months. They come and do it, it is free. They will come in a BMW,.

But, if customer support is something you truly want; you have it with these people. Direct chat, calling in or submit a ticket, you will get an immediate response. And, all of there customer service is in the United States. I found, who I have talked with so far, willing to help. They will get the information, if they do not know it. They will stay with you while you work out an issue. And they will make sure you are satisfied.

Finally, this service is offered month-to-month, no commitments. No two years locks here. But, for customer retention, after a year, you will be offered the best prices, and offers, that are in affect at that time. No begging need to be done here.

Anyway, I hope this helps.