LCC and Fox

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sstv, Apr 14, 2020.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I have a HR54 with a LCC. The LCC works great on the channels I watch in the Dallas area. The only channel with problems, is channel 4 Fox. Lots of pixel breakups. I have checked the signal and its 100%. A splitter feeds the LCC and TV. replaced the splitter, no help, removed the splitter, no help, checked the TV OTA and there was no problem. So its the LCC and Fox, I replaced the LCC, no help. Anybody got any ideas ?
    SSTV

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    You are lucky that the other channels work well. I tried the LCC and had breakup on all the channels. I also have an AM21 which also shows serious breakup issues. After extensive troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion that neither device handles multi path issues which I am likely facing, since I am very close to the TV transmission towers in my area. Like you, the OTA signal directly to my TV is pristine—it’s only the two DTV tuners that are unstable.

3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Did you try to rotate the antenna? I have the same issue with one channel and just rotating the antenna about 10 degrees. Picture is now coming in.

4. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Bingo, rotating the antenna fixed it. Multipath is the culprit.

5. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Can we buy those LCC yet?

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Darn. Now I will have to try rotating the antenna. Is there and indicator in signal strength that will help me determine how far to rotate? Or just trial and error? Right now, I am pointed directly at the broadcast antenna farm and my signal strengths are all 100%.

7. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    What part of the DFW area you live in, i live in Campbell in Hunt County, while i don't have a LCC, i do have a outside TV antenna hooked up to pick up the DFW stations. i have my antenna pointed towards the southwest since Cedar Hill is pretty much southwest of Hunt County. and also the reception is not as good indoors since Hunt County is in the fringe area of the DFW TV market where you need a outdoors antenna to pick it up. my advice is to adjust your antennas towards the direction of the Cedar Hill tower farm area. if you are closer to Cedar Hill, then you can have great reception inside or outside. but the farther you are, tye more likely you will be needing the outdoor antenna and to figure out what direction you need to aim towards Cedar Hil.

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk

8. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Mine were free
    SSTV

9. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    It won't take much rotation and its trial and error.
    SSTV

10. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    I'am in Casa View (far east Dallas). My TV signal cuts across the south side of Downtown so I get multipath from the downtown buildings.
    SSTV

11. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX

12. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I rotated my antenna slightly again and channel 4 fox is now clean. Channel 8 is now on the verge of losing signal but no breakups. All else is fine.
    With the virus thing and people on tv using wifi hookups to get on tv its hard to tell if its them or you breaking up, so be careful.
    SSTV

13. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I finally got around to trying an antenna rotation to see if I could improve the signal quality for my AM21. Here is the antenna:

Antenna.JPG

I tried approx. 10 degrees one way--no improvement. Then 10 degrees the other way--no improvement.

This is my second AM21. The first one exhibited the same issues, so I asked DTV for a replacement. The newer device has a peculiarity. When viewing signal strength for the OTA channels, every channel shows exactly 85%. On the old AM21, I could see actual signal strengths, and they would vary from channel to channel. Not seeing a valid signal strength makes it more difficult when trying different antenna directions.

I guess the next thing I could try is a new antenna. How likely is this to be an antenna issue?

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv hasn't had any AM21s for years, they will not replace yours.

15. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Where is this coming from? I said nothing about swapping out the AM21, which I already did several years ago. My question is whether I should consider swapping out the antenna, the only thing I have not tried yet.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    10 degrees isn't enough. I would try maybe 30 to 45 degrees each way, in small increments (maybe 5 degree). You could have a multi-path issue. Watch for a day or so after each adjustment - not just a quick check. Propagation changes over time.

17. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Unfortunately, I already took the ladder down. The only way to access the antenna is to hoist that ladder up unto my second floor deck, which is a PITA. I may give it a try since I have plenty of spare time during shelter-in-place.

Can you comment on the fact that the signal strength indicators don’t seem to be working properly on this AM21? It would be interesting to hear if someone else who also has a newer AM21 is seeing the same 85% signal strength across all channels. On my older AM21 (which I recycled), I tried using a coax signal attenuator to resolve what seems like a signal overloading (or multipath) issue, but without valid signal strength indicators, this is now impossible.

18. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    I have 7 AM21's on HR2x's and an HR54. I had to rerun the OTA setup on these because one of the stations had changed broadcast frequencies at the end of April. Afterward, I checked the signal strengths of the channels on all of the AM21's, and they all varied, from 25% to 100%. The two groups of channels and their subchannels that were below 50% are independent channels that are trace signals off a distant tower that the AM21 picked up that I have no interest in. Everything else that I did want to receive is between 75% to 100%. All of the AM21's were acquired during the HR21 / HR22 era.

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There are two variations of AM21, one that gives signal strengths up to 100, another where 85 is the max. Not sure why the difference, probably some slightly different hardware. It has been a while since I had AM21s, but if I remember correctly the ones that went to 100 had a low reading of 25, and the ones that went to 85 had a low reading of 7. So basically the same scale, just different end points.

20. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I have 3 AM21's and they all show 85% as max and 7% as low.