leavin dish for direct tv.......

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by projectorguru, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    Just and FYI to you E* boys who were thinkin of stayin or leavin or vice versa. I'm only leaving E* for one reason. Its cheaper to switch than it is to stay. Example, I called E* and asked about adding, first a HDDVR. they told me its 350 upfront and 5 for the lease, ouch. then I decided not to do that, and just add a 3rd HD receiver instead of the HDDVR. then the CSR tells me I can't do that?WTF? So I posted on here awhile back about this, and some of you IM'd me(thanx) with different e-mails to contact someone else on this matter. After 3 more calls to different CSR's and a few e-mails including the ceo addy, I haven't heard back from ANY of the emails that went out over 3 weeks ago. the csr's all tell me the same thing, so I have tried everything to stay with E* and it turns out I can get 2 HD receivers and a HDDVR for an upfront fee of only 99 dollars, so this is why I'm outta here. Other than that, no hard feeling toward E*, as I have been with them for 7 years with no issues ever until I tried to upgrade. Hope you guys get some more channels in the near future. C-YA!

PG:)

2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    PG,

You are right in saying that it is cheaper to switch than stay if you want HD. And that is true for BOTH vendors. They need to change that. It cost them WAY more to get a new customer than to keep a GOOD customer. You would think that both companies would have figured that out by now but, apparently, they haven't. And a current customer should not have to "jump through hoops" to get a good deal on upgrades. After all, they give a good deal to ANY person that calls.

Having said all that I do think that deals should be limited to once every two years (which is usually the commitment time for HD upgrades).

3. pilam99

pilam99 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Funny, I'm doing the exact opposite for the same reason D* to E*. You'd think it would just be easier if they gave equipment deals to their existing customers to keep them rather than give equipments deals to their competitors' customers to woo them away.

4. bigsatfan

bigsatfan Cool Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I've been a D* customer since day one and have considered the switch for the same reason. I just never went through with it because of the HD promises. I just never understood why a long time customer like myself can't get the same deals new customers are getting.

5. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    you all are feelin the same way as me, It really sucks, I wish these people would wake up and help out an existing customer as well, but as for now ain't happenin'.
    I will miss E* for sure though, I'm exited about the new HD over at D* but bummed that I'm leavin E*, oh well, maybe the companies will see this kinda stuff and change it.

6. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Yup, I switched to Dish from DirecTV because it was cheaper to switch. Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

7. raven56706

raven56706 AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    just helped my two cousins switch from dish to directv ... so i got alittle happy with the directv offerings so i called up their customer retention and i got a hd dvr for free and 20 bucks off a month for the year... it just got cheaper staying... the trick is calling customer retention...

8. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    Customer retention... I had to do this with my cell phone (they called it their "save team"), and I did get a better deal than advertised. Good to know, in that I'm going to upgrade to HD (DVR) too, soon.

9. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    let me know how it works out, cuz it did not for me, Kevin

10. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    It's going to be a while for me, because I have 80 hrs of backlogged material on my 522 that I need to get through before I'll want to upgrade. But I'll post back when I do. :)

Or, I'll do the DirecTV switch, stay with them a while, then switch back as a new customer!

11. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    Just thought I'd give an update here. I now have all my services through AT&T (Dish, cell, home phone/long distance, and DSL). I actually called up about a cell phone thing, but the lady was so helpful, I asked about Dish, HD (DVR), upgrading etc.

She said I'm eligible for for a year of HD free right now. ($20 per month, then a $20/month credit, with an 18 month comittment.) The phone number is right on my bill. Didn't threaten to quit or anything.

I can't do this right now, because I have too much material on my DVR that I have to get through. She also said, sit tight, might be better deals in the new year. (And no, no easy way to transfer all my DVR stuff to an HD DVR. Stupid.)

12. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    Good to know that AT&T is dealing. Part of it may be their desire to court good will in prep for an acquisition. (?)

At any rate, my goals for 2008 (assuming my Dish install goes as planned this time <long story>) are to get rid of Sprint when my contract ends AND get rid of the last remaining tie I have to Time/Warner (my broadband connection).

Here's hoping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.