Leaving DTV after 21 years

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Taxi77, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Taxi77

Taxi77 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Left DTV after 21 Years

Hated to do it, but the price increases and no deals this year on Sunday Ticket, made me do something I may regret. I switched to Xfinity. I will be fine until I need to call them. But I’m now saving $82 / month and I have nice equipment. For those of you contemplating, here are some observations after a month.

Pros for switching:
    X1 much better than any of my HRs, to include being able to change channels on the first try, and any remote function is instant.
    Voice remote
    On Demand superior
    Music Choice vs. Sonic (no comparison)
    Red Zone Channel a la carte
    Money Savings
    Easy setup and reboot takes 1/10th the time of DTV
    Whole home responds instantly, no lag like DTV
    So I was paying $201.00 to DTV with Choice plus all movie channels and 4 receivers.
    Now I am paying $224.00 (that's all fees included) for all of everything Xfinity offers, to include Red Zone and 4 receivers, 150 Download internet, and home phone. Was paying Comcast $105.00 for Internet and Phone. Total savings $82/month.
    You know DTV's stuff is outdated when they only wanted 1 out of 4 receivers back

Cons:
    Doesn't time warp so much
    Need to manually add extra time at end of shows when setting them up, DTV seemed to start a little early, and end a little late, which was good.

1 person likes this.
  2. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Whole home would be faster if you had upgraded eqitment, (Never upgraded) Reboot is long since you had old equipment. Slow responce since you have old equitment! If you upgraded to a genie with all HR24s for clients you would be better off.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, you can't compare old Directv equipment with the latest and greatest from XFinity. Is just not a fair comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks for the detailed report.

5. Taxi77

Taxi77 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2008
    But what were the odds of me getting a Genie and 2 more HR24s? From what I read here, not likely, then I'm in for 2 more years.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That's right. All new equipment AND saving $82 per month. No comparison. Good luck.

Supramom2000 likes this.
  7. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Exactly what I was thinking the 2 year extension has kept me also from upgrading 2011 equipment. Really takes a while now just changing channels with HR24's and sometimes I have to turn off receiver because I get a snowy screen that won't clear.

8. Taxi77

Taxi77 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2008
    The channel changing or waiting for other remote functions put me over the edge. And even the screen saver on the X1 shows nice pictures and local headlines, not a bouncing AT&T ball. But, I'm a realist, it is XFinity and one day I'm going to have to call them. I'll just go ahead and say "Ugh" in advance!

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    $1000/year savings and Directv didn't want to deal to keep you, I think you did what you had to do.

Supramom2000 likes this.
  10. Taxi77

Taxi77 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2008
    She didn't hardly try. Asked me if I wanted her to see if she could find some discounts, I asked if she could come close to a Genie and 2 HR24s plus at least $70/mo for 2 years, and she said not possible, so I said just cancel, and she said sorry and goodbye.

11. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Good luck. Personally, I could never go back to Comcast with its insufficient channel offerings in my area, especially HD premium channels and sports subscriptions. DirecTV and FiOS are clear winners for me and I'll just keep bouncing between the two for good deals when the time comes. But totally understand your reasoning for doing so, especially since DirecTV didn't seem to work hard to keep you in the fold.

1 person likes this.
  12. Taxi77

Taxi77 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks, unfortunately no FIOS out here in the country. The lineup here is as good as DTV, and even some cases better getting all of the local sub channels. The only channel issue I have is that we get only one of each premium in HD, but have the whole lineup of movies on demand in HD. I was a loyal DTV guy for 21 years, but they made me try something else.

1 person likes this.
  13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Why wouldn't he compare just exactly that? It's the reality of the situation not some theoretical "what if". Is Directv going to give him all the latest equipment without a couple of hundred bucks per DVR and a one or two year commitment? I seriously doubt it.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Don't forget the lack of HD and super over compressed feeds.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    why? This is equipment comparison. Not experience.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Huh? He listed 8 items 'pro' for switching. 4 of those are not equipment related.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    for context...

Follow the breadcrumbs..........

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you'll recall, following the breadcrumbs didn't work for Hansel and Gretel because birds ate the trail they left.

The TS left DIRECTV for multiple reasons, only some of which involved his older equipment. He provided a list of what he likes better than what he had and a monthly dollar amount of his savings. DIRECTV isn't for everybody and because he left doesn't mean he did anything wrong. He even stated he may come to regret his decision.

I appreciate his post, his analysis and wish him well.

Supramom2000 and MysteryMan like this.
  19. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Me, too.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Again, the equipment he can compare to is only as good as the equipment he can actually have/has. He clearly states the X1 is better than "my HRs". Why would he compare equipment he can't have without spending hundreds of dollars?

Is directv going to start replacing all of the underpowered, laggy, keybounce ridden HRs that are still out there, for free?

Supramom2000 likes this.