1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal group goes to bat for eighth-grader suspended for using oregano in pot prank

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Feb 21, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I understand the 10 days, but adding 45 on top of it was probably a little too much.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Fifty five day suspension for a condiment. Yeah, that sounds about right. :sure:

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    A day or two... week tops.(and that is a stretch).

But a suspension that is equal to that of a repeat offender in the MLB testing POSITIVE for drug usage....

This is seriously out of wack...

Heck I would even have an issue of it being more than 1 day...

I guess no one is able to bring pizza or pasta in for lunch anymore, as they all are sprinkled with counterfit marajuana....

And if they eat NY style, and role it up... oh my...

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm no fan of the zero tolerance policies, but do think this student did need to face consequences, but 55 days is crazy.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, he pulled a stupid stunt... and there should be consequences.

Detention, maybe a day out of school.

But 2.5 months ?
    And basically set this kid back an entire school year, and a MASSIVE line item on his "permanent" record.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know about the length of the suspension... but there was willful misconduct here. The kid intentionally brought something that was supposed to look like pot and gave it to another kid, trying to get that kid in trouble.

Remember the people who were sending white powder in the mail as a prank to make people think there was anthrax? Those people and their "innocent pranks" were punished too I think.

I could make a case here that at least a kid who has pot might have been for legalizing drugs and had a legitimate reason (in his own mind) to have it... whereas a prank like this had no possible good intentions at all.

Yeah, it wasn't a real drug... but it was meant to look like one.

How about kids who bring toy guns that look like real guns but aren't? Those can scare people, might result in police being called, and sometimes kids have been shot because a cop thought it was a real gun!

There are consequences for actions...

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    How do you know that was his intent?

My interpretation was that the other student was probably a friend of his and he was just handing it to him (i.e. "look dude, a bag of pot like they talked about yesterday".lol), and they both had a laugh.

But then someone saw it....

9. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I could go either way on this and unfortunately, the story doesn't answer the question I need answered to make a decision.

If it was like Spartanstew said, I think the punishment is excessive.

On the other hand, if the kid was actually trying to pass off the oregano as pot and trying to sell it/give it off to another student as such, he's lucky he's not in jail.

10. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Unless this is part of a pattern of poor behavior. The wording of the article ("refused to discuss whether the boy has had prior disciplinary issues, his distraught mom said he's never been in serious trouble") make it sound like he might be a repeat troublemaker.

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Well, the mother seems to support the notion that it was a "joke" or prank... so what is the intent of a prank but to get noticed?

Again, not sure the punishment fits the "crime"... but what if he was brandishing a fake gun that looked real... or made a fake bomb to bring to school. People call schools and make bomb threats when there is no bomb... and people get punished severely for that even though no actual bomb or danger was present... Why? Because pranks like that aren't funny, people can be hurt when they think something is real, and kids should know better.

If we were talking about a kid who had some oregano in his lunchbox for lunch and a teacher saw it and mistook it for drugs, then I'd be with you... but we are talking about a kid who wanted his bag of oregano to look like pot... that is the very definition of intent, and while not the same as actually having pot... it involves people to determine that it was oregano and waste time dealing with it... so punishment of some kind is deserved.

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The child has been suspended from his home school for the 55 days and not from school all together as he is attending a school for at risk students so maybe the additional 45 days was not designed as a true punishment but rather was designed not to penalize others.
    When I was young, the school district in which I attended (Tucson Unified) had a policy in which kids who were suspended over a certain number of days had to finish out the grading quarter (after serving their initial suspension) in an at-risk program. Is it possible the same is being done here but the article is twisting the facts slightly?

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    And North Carolina wonders why they're 36th in the country in Math and Science?

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Nobody's going to get hurt because two kids are knowingly playing with a bag of Oregano, unless someone somehow sneezes to death.

My how times have changed though. I got caught in High School with ACTUAL pot in my locker 30 years ago and was suspended for 1 day (and I'm pretty sure the teachers than proceeded to smoke it in the teachers lounge later that day).

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    But nobody knows it is oregano until they catch the boys and stop them and waste time with them.

You could say the same thing about baby powder instead of anthrax... or yelling fire when there is no fire. How can a not-fire be dangerous?

The point is... the kid was trying to pull a prank... a prank that only works if you can at least temporarily fool someone into thinking you actually had pot in that bag... and that really has no business in school.

I'm not saying the suspension fits the crime here... but as in all articles, we may not be getting the full story. Maybe this kid does this kind of stuff a lot and this was a final straw.

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doesn't matter if it was actual pot. You can't compare it to a fake gun, where a policeman (or someone else) could pull a real weapon and someone could get hurt. Or yelling fire when there's no fire, or anything else that could cause panic. Nobody is going to panic because a high school kid has a bag of pot.

The point is....NOBODY would get hurt in this scenario regardless of what they thought it was.

Not to mention the fact that nobody said it was a "prank". That's at least the second time in this thread where you've jumped to conclusions

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    In many communities, you wouldn't get 55 days in jail for possessing a bag of pot.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It boils down to - does the punishment fit the misdeed?

In my opinion, it way way overboard.

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Did you even read the first post? The very first sentence said the kid was "pranking a classmate"...

Also... yeah, no danger from a bag of pot... but lots of wasted time for teachers to determine that it wasn't a bag of pot.

Tell you what... Go walk down in front of a police station and wave a bag of oregano around and pass it to a friend and see if you don't get into some kind of trouble for wasting their time.

Again, I never said the punishment was just... but some seem to be arguing that the kid shouldn't be getting any punishment at all.

20. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You're kidding, right?