1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lenovo Z710 Laptop Is Slow And Seems To Be Getting Slower.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Rich, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Sep 9, 2018 #1 of 18
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have no idea when I bought the Z710 laptop. I don't want a new laptop, I want to see if I can get this thing running like I know it can. I do have an idea, I don't know if it will work. The Lenovos have a button next to the Power button that takes the laptop back to factory settings, wipes out all apps and extensions. I have nothing of importance on this computer, I have a password manager which should allow me to restructure the laptop if I hit that button. In my mind I will/might be back to something close to what the 710 was like when it was new. I get lots of things "in my mind", most don't work out as well as I think they will.

Will this work?

Rich

2. Sep 9, 2018 #2 of 18
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you run CCleaner ? It is a Free program.
    Get rid of old files, temps, etc.
    Then run the Registry Cleaner part of it ?
    I would try that before resorting to a full rebuild.

3. Sep 9, 2018 #3 of 18
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, done everything I could think of. I think Chrome is causing this, I have tried Firefox and Edge and the computer seems to work much better using those browsers. I don't like those browsers and I want to use Chrome. I know that sounds like I'm being stubborn. I'm just more comfortable with Chrome. I have wondered what would happen if I delete all the Chrome extensions. Are the extensions screwing up Chrome or is Chrome problematic?

Rich

4. Sep 9, 2018 #4 of 18
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just deleted several Chrome extensions let me reboot and see if anything seems faster...wait, typing has been awful lately, hit a key and wait...that awful. Right now, without a reboot, that problem is not there. Oh goody, I stumbled into something. Should have deleted those extensions one at a time. I have no idea which extension caused that.

Rich

5. Sep 9, 2018 #5 of 18
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I just opened it, do not run it, and it appears that the extensions can be turned off or on. I would turn them to off if you suspect them.
    They can do crazy things sometimes.
    My friend had a Yahoo Email app that showed it was using12 of her 16 gig of ram. We removed everything in her emails and nothing worked. Finally we removed the app and then reinstalled it. Fixed the memory usage problem.

6. Sep 9, 2018 #6 of 18
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    ----
    Not gonna do it. Yes, the extensions can be turned off or the extension can be deleted. What I did appears to have almost fixed the typing thing, I'll shut some more off and see if I can clear up some other things. I purchased the paid version of CCleaner today just to see what that would do, I've always used the free version. It did clear out over 5000 files. The free version did not do that.

Anything else you can think of?

Rich

7. Sep 9, 2018 #7 of 18
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Another thing you can look at is the Task Manager. Open it, Select the Memory column and see what is using a lot of memory.
    Select the Disc and see what is using so much disc time.
    These might narrow down what needs to be turn off. In there you can Stop the activity. The next time you start it up, the item you stopped will start up again.

8. Sep 9, 2018 #8 of 18
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Chrome uses the most memory. Says 1041 MB. Don't see much else. I saw no way to select a disc?

Rich

9. Sep 9, 2018 #9 of 18
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    On the lower left hand corner, click on More Details. You will get a lot more info.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did that didn't see anything about a disc, let me try again...all I see is the lists of what's doing what.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I found the Disc under the Performance tab. Shows a graph, not much going on there.

Rich

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'm beginning to sour on Chrome. Tried to pay my electric bill today and could not using Chrome. No problems at all with Edge.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I go to Edge when Chrome doesn't work properly too. Chrome has problems from time to time with this site too. But I keep going back to Chrome. Have you checked out how much memory Chrome uses on your computer?

Rich

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    As I write this reply, Task Manager shows that Chrome is using from about 1 to 14% of my CPU. It keeps changing....

Edit: I switched to Edge and it's using about 6 to 14% of my CPU as I write this.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, that's what I see. Most of my problems seem to be caused by using Chrome. I keep trying Edge and always go back to Chrome.

Rich

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I run a fairly basic website for stamp collectors, mathstamps.org. I check to make sure changes appear ok in Chrome, Edge, IE, and Safari. I gave up on Firefox about six months ago but not because of problems with my site. The other four consistently present the pages properly.

Rich likes this.
  17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I noticed yesterday after I ran CCleaner that my computer was terrible and the mouse was jerky, etc.
    I had checked almost everything in the Windows section.
    One of them was wiping out the index of what is on the hard drive.
    When it does that a program called Service Host SuperFetch runs and rebuilds an index so that when you look for something specific on your computer it can find it fast and load it.
    After that got caught up my computer is just fine again.
    You might want to uncheck some of the windows boxes so that it does not erase that file. I don't know the exact one or I would be posting it.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, that did happen after I ran the cleaner. Didn't know why so I did nothing. Took a few hours and everything is working now. If you can figure out which box to avoid I'd sure like to know.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.