Let us get back to you with an offer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by J Blow, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Oct 3, 2019 #1 of 19
    J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    So, in trying to make my $200 monthly bill more palatable after all my credits have now fallen off, I contacted DTV one more time to give them one more chance. It's just not the value it used to be to me so after a quarter century, I could see them going away. I used to get a variety of monthly credits, free Sunday Ticket, and a variety of things over the years. Their last offer this year was $5 off. That won't cut it. The agent came back and said that they didn't have anything available immediately (3 months of some movies, sports for free and call us back or we keep charging you thing) but they will come up with an offer soon - here was the message:

Promotions or yearly discounts are not yet available on our end. I will coordinate our back office team and will endorse your account to put in our top priority list to receive new available promotions/discounts. Rest assured you will get more than what you were getting on your previous promotions. We will get a notification for the availability of promotions and discounts to you in the future.

Anyone else get this and if so, what happened later?

2. Oct 3, 2019 #2 of 19
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yeah they won't coordinate anything with anyone and you will never hear back from them. That is their current method of getting away from you. Lie and tell you what they think you want to hear just to get rid of you.

3. Oct 3, 2019 #3 of 19
    J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Makes total sense.

Will make it even easier to drop them.

Thanks.

4. Oct 3, 2019 #4 of 19
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Freebies don't last forever! Eventually you either pay what they charge, cut your service so its not so high, or cancel your service and go with a lesser service that's cheaper.

5. Oct 3, 2019 #5 of 19
    J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

I'm not paying what they charge and never have. I've had cancellation dates before but they always make it good enough to say before they actually disconnect - usually with both free sports and reduced prices. Sometimes I've had to recommit to a contract which I will under the right price.

I've done this since 1996 and maybe one of these years they do say full price or nothing... but I doubt it. I'll give them a couple weeks and then her a cancel date of nothing changes

6. Oct 3, 2019 #6 of 19
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    All of the providers are essentially the same and he won’t have to go to a “lesser service”. It’s not 2008 anymore.

7. Oct 3, 2019 #7 of 19
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Agreed. I've been getting promos for well over 10+ yrs. I've NEVER paid over $85. I had one promo fall off recently and my bill went up to $82.99 for Preferred Xtra + HR54. That's fine. With one TV I won't save anything by going somewhere else. I did try to get the promo put back on just for the fun of it lol... my bill was down to a measly $52.99 for 3 or 4 months... but that was me being greedy. But I am probably close to where I'll go somewhere else if it goes too much over $90. Sad to hear they aren't doing legit win back offers anymore if that's true.

8. Oct 4, 2019 #8 of 19
    J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I think the meaning of lesser service was in regards to fewer channels, or maybe even features like DVR, etc.....

but overall, exactly....what's going to be lesser than DirecTv and the $10 for HD, $10 for DVR, whole-home charges, each receiver, charge equipment from last decade, etc....?

Honestly, what isn't ahead of DirecTv right now if you're paying full price?

9. Oct 4, 2019 #9 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think that depends on what you want from D*. For me, that's sports and I don't see a better place to get sports. Believe me, I have looked.

Rich

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Cable charges you a LOT more per outlet then satellite.

11. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Uhh no, in my area Blue Ridge Cable in northeastern PA it’s 19.95 for the main TiVo which essentially replaces the $20 directv charges for hd plus dvr service and $6.95 for each tv, no more than what directv charges plus blue ridge hasn’t lost any locals over contract disputes. The TiVo equipment is also a heck of a lot more responsive with less glitches than directv’s garbage equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There are so many cable companies that charge in so many different ways that you can't really say that for sure. There are probably a few exceptions out there.

In general that's true, but even there you can avoid the charges if you own your Tivo. I pay $1.95 a month for my cable card, and could get a second one for the same price or I could add TVs for $0 by buying Minis. Compared to the $10/month they charge per HD receiver (DVRs are worse) buying a used Mini on eBay would pay for itself in a year (and have resale value down the road assuming it still worked)

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    My parents are on Spectrum and they rented a 2nd box for a month (for a guest) and it was $17/mo.

14. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

Sports is the only reason I still have DTV - specifically, the NFL. There's not a better place for sports but there are better values. First, I follow a popular team that plays a lot of prime time nationally televised games so my actual per game rate is high. Next, most of the other 'best games' are nationally televised. Finally, I have a solution when necessary. It's not ideal but works.

Obviously it's not the equipment keeping me around - in fact, I've been keeping the service despite the equipment. When I was getting the discounts it made the price something I was willing to pay in return for the services. Between my interest waning and now having other options to get NFL, and certainly cheaper than $400 a year, keeping DTV is no longer a priority. Again, at the right price, I'll remain interested...but not at full price.

I'm not real interested in piecing together streaming services as there's a convenience to DTV/Cable....and even then the savings aren't what they used to be. Right now I do a fair amount of streaming so I'll never get away from that and if I do move away it will most likely be to cable as they still have very good introductory offers. I guess I'll start the jumping around game - ultimately we all lose. (me, DTV, and the cable companies if they insist on ending the discounts, too).

Many cable companies are just as cheap when adding per TV connections. Today there are many easy solutions around that, too....and I may invest a little in equipment to make even easier and save in the long run. Could be Tivo, could be something more elaborate like a server based solution, which I already have an investment in to a degree. The upside for me as that I have many locations but rarely a need for a large number of simultaneous connections.

In the end, it's not even about money for me but I'm not going to reward a company with such crap technology/equipment and crap rules on the ownership on that technology ,etc. with my service at a premium price. I'd rather spend money in other ways. I'm not mad and I'd be back under many circumstances.

Rich likes this.
  15. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    By the way, to prove this isn't some sort of vindictive anger...and you guys will probably find this funny....I just ordered DTV service for another house of ours. It's a 2 year contract with the average price being under $100 month and includes Sunday Ticket this year in addition to a cash card. It gives me several options for the future (even on Sunday Ticket) - one of which is 'moving' back to my primary residence.

Rich and 242424 like this.
  16. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    I recently decided to drop Directv after all the promos fell off and they offered nothing.. Directv (Preferred Xtra and 5 total boxes, Showtime, and Extra Hd pack thing) and Spectrum Internet was pushing about $250ish a month.. Yes, most of the Tv's I COULD have done without as they are in bedrooms, etc.. I switched to Spectrum Gold (pretty much all channels.. movies included).. just had to get 1 DVR ($4.99 fee for DVR year 1 and 9.99 after that) and the rest of the house they allow XBox/Roku/Smart TV's to use their Spectrum app for free. Other receivers are only $7.50.. The Roku's work nice and the guide on them is easy to use, on demand, etc.. So, total bill is now $151 for b oth services for year one and $185ish for year two and beyond for both services (yes.. they'll get me each year with an increase as well).. with another ISP/TV service coming to town, I'd HOPE (yea right) that costs would go down more. But I'm impressed with the quality.. But Spectrum at least in this area has cheap receivers (even though all TV providers charge too much for a tv box).. So, compared to Directv, I increased my number of rooms I can view TV in and saved a chunk of cash each month.. Of course YMMV..

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    What is 1st year monthly and what is 2nd year monthly?

18. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Whomever said the promise to review my account and call back was all a measure to shut me up for the time being, you were correct. Several weeks later and no call.

19. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    i was told that I would get a call within 72 hours and never did..