1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's get this Party (Forum) Started!

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by itzme, Jul 25, 2010.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Am I alone in thinking that IPTV is the future? There are some great threads here, yet so little chatter. Why?

IPTV will affect all satellite (and cable/fiber providers), whether they get on board or not. I happen to think that this Fall's release of Google TV will be a big event for IPTV. Agree?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    IPTV is not the future as long as providers keep setting bandwidth caps AND not until HSI is more available.

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Those are certainly 2 barriers to universal adoption. I'm not certain they'll kill IPTV though.

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sorry to have to tell you this but while IPTV is a great idea, it and to some extent you, suffer from a major problem, to wit:

The average internet speed for residential customers in the USA is less than 4Mbps and that is an average.

This number places the USA at an embarassing 18th in the world.

Now add in dowload caps by various ISPs.

In short, we do not have the infrastructure to support IPTV the way cable and satellite are supported. While some of us may have the capability to deal with IPTV, most do not.

Also keep in mind that the average individual is already having a hard time figuring out what to connect where on their TV sets and another box may well be a little over the top.

5. emoxley

emoxley Cool Member

Jul 14, 2010
    You need to remember too that a very big part of the population lives outside of city limits, and don't even have the option of cable or dsl service. Downloading and streaming isn't going to happen over dialup. Big cities like L.A., NYC, Chicago, that have millions of people, will have the option of downloading and streaming available to them, but it's still many years away from becoming a mainstream service, IMHO............

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The only party I am throwing for IPTV is a pity party, since it doesn't have many friends...

I just think of U-Verse when I think of that kind of service, and I would rather put up a big antenna than use that. FIOS seems ok from what I hear, but I think I also hear expansion was scaled way back for them to get to profit faster. I just don't see it taking off.

I know almost for sure it will be years until they start slinging fiber down my neighborhood street in this little town. Our phone lines are ancient, they are on little skinny poles all by themselves even :)

7. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    To answer your first question: Yes.