1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letter from Ellen Filipiak

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CATCRAW, Mar 21, 2013.

1. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I just received a letter from DTV informing me that local channels were now available in my area. Basically it said they will turn off my DNS service April 3rd if I do not call in and subscribe to local programming for $3.00 month. Once DNS is shut off it cannot be restored. If I call in and subscribe to local programming then I have the option to retain DNS or disconnect it.

Well you can guess that when I called and asked DTV said once I add locals then I lose DNS, which is exactly opposite of what the letter states. Anyone else receive a letter and retain both locals & DNS?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This happened to me several years ago.

Once Locals are available through DirecTV, you need to get waivers from each to continue to get DNS.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is not true today. You can not even apply for a waiver today for a station that is available to you in your local package. The law states that if you had DNS the day the law went into effect and did not have LIL yet that you were grandfathered in and could keep the DNS stations after your LIL stations become available. I think you should email Ellen's office and see if they can assist you with keeping the DNS stations and getting your DMA's locals. I was grandfathered in and was able to keep my DNS after my markets locals were turned on.

4. Laker44

Laker44 Godfather

Jun 18, 2008
    When I had DirecTV and locals became available I was grandfathered in also on the DNS channels. The only way I would have lost them would be if I myself would have dropped them. Since I dropped DirecTV, if I would resubscribe to D*, I would only be able to get the PBS DNS channel.

5. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion - I took you advise and sent Ellen an email asking for a clarification on the letter. I have had DNS waivers in place for years since we had no local programming in our area. They did turn on Local Programming, but said they couldn't guarantee that the DNS programming wouldn't go away. We'll see what Ellen says when she responds....

6. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    is this a new situation.. meaning did they just turn your locals on recently, or had they been available prior to this week?

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Their original post said they received notice locals are now available.

8. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I, too, was supposedly "grandfathered-in" when local HD became available, but for some reason only to NBC (E&W), and I had (have) to pay a few bucks extra to keep it.

Originally I was able to get HD waivers each for FOX, CBS and NBC. (For some nice reason, NBC came in both East and West coast feeds. (Kermudgen owner of the "local" ABC affiliate would not grant any waiver no matter how many attempts were made.) When local HD became available (around late '07[EDIT: mid'08]) I had to lose CBS and FOX, but was allowed to keep NBC if I agreed to pay, and was told if I ever dropped it would not be able to get it back.

But before this happened, I had to lose NBCWHD supposedly on account of some new congressional law, but had ECHD until local had been available for a couple of months.

For a time I was able only to get SD E&W, then a couple years ago HD was added back in (yay!).

Suffice to say, I'm glad I never decided to drop them, and feel that the extra few bucks is worth it just for WC feed alone (reduces scheduling conflicts) not to mention local affiliate always ruins broadcasts if there's any weather within 150 miles of Mpls.

However, I'd probably happily pay a few more extra bucks to reclaim the rest of DNS I used to have, especially if they came with WC.

9. Laker44

Laker44 Godfather

Jun 18, 2008
    Delroy E Walleye, joshjr could probably explain this better on why you lost them then I can. But I believe this is why you lost those channels. Under the SHEVRA law that was in place at that time, when your locals where added you lost the DNS channels. Then in May 2010 Congress passed the STELA law, and those that where receiving the DNS channels at that time where the ones that where grandfathered in.

10. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I received a response to my email sent to Ellen Filipiak for clarification. According to the law, I could retain my DNS programming as long as I subscribe to DTV's local programming that is now available. If I did not add the local programming then my DNS would be discontinued. They also stated that they could not guarantee DNS programming for any period of time as they have to follow the law if it were to change.

Would really be nice if they shared this information with their CS team that customers are being directed to in the letter. They told me the exact opposite of this information and had I not insisted on the letter stating my options they would have routinely removed my DNS programming.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There is so much confusion on DNS feeds. Each person at DirecTV will tell you something different. There are a few things that could of happened here. A few years ago when a DMA was about to lunch its locals, some markets would get the DNS feeds opened up to them until their locals launched. I am suspecting that is what happened to him. The last two DNS feeds he had probably fell under that and were removed when he received his local channels. Also the there were different grandfathering clauses. This last one you had to have the DNS feeds by the date the law went into affect as well as have them prior to your DMA launching locals. I am not 100% sure how the previous grandfathering clause was written. Even when you have the law on your side you dont always win with DirecTV.

As far as him getting HD back, there was a thread about this a few years back. I think there was a lot of people who had DNS and already had HD that had the HD DNS feeds turned back on as well. For awhile it was really hard to get more than one coast DNS feeds and the goal has always been to not allow customers to see programming at an earlier time. All it said to me was that the west coast got screwed. Yeah they could see shows earlier with them but its not really fair to allow others to have it just because the programming airs later.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Agreed. Did Ellen's group add the locals for you? Are you seeing both?

13. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    Yes, Joshjr - I now have the locals and DNS still active.

14. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Part of the reason for the confusion and conflicting information regarding concurrent DNS / locals eligibility, is that the satellite act is re-written / re-enacted, every five years... and I'm on my 4th iteration.

I've had DNS, in one form or another, with Pegasus from '95-'05, and DTV since then, still receiving HD E/W for the four major networks and SD E/W CW and SD E PBS from Pegasus days, H10 receivers / channels 089-099 off of the 110° Ku, now 389-399 off of 99° & 103° Ka the past seven years.

The sat industry, FCC, and congress agreed to review every five years because they agreed that the technology would change significantly enough that the law needed to be adaptable.
    Although the current satellite act clearly allows "grandfather" DNS accounts to concurrently receive locals, there is no assurance that subsequent satellite act legislation will continue that... in fact the industry has bitched about it since the latest version was enacted.

Since I've elected to keep DNS, I hope that is not the case, but have looked at the current satellite act as a 5-year reprieve, and something that will eventually be taken away.

15. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Did you speak with a front line CSR or were you transferred to the DNS eligibility group? If it was a front line CSR, then I can understand the confusion. They are supposed to transfer all questions about DNS to the DNS eligibility group. They are the only ones who are trained on DNS matters.

16. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I was immediately transferred to the DNS group and they are the ones that gave me the misinformation. Even when they tracked down a copy of the letter they tried to tell me I was interpreting it incorrectly. Even when I pointed out that it stated - if I subscribed to the local programming - I had the OPTION - of retaining DNS or discontinuing it. What's to misinterpret about that????? Oh well taken care of for now, but the next person to call in will probably go through the same call....

17. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    If locals are now available in your area, DirecTV is not allowed to give you distant network services as they are regulated by the FCC. If they do they can risk getting sued. Even if a customer currently has DNS locals and their area locals at the same time, eventually account management is going to take off the DNS ones. Getting upset with a CSR is not going to get you anywhere as it is way way over our heads. Also CATCRAW, I would like to point out Ellen is not the one who is really replying to you simply she doesn't have time to respond to everyone who emails her. It is outsourced, just sayin'

18. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I do not believe that this last post is correct.. it is the thing that I fear most on Direct.. and the one reason why I have yet to take my locals.. but I don't believe that he is correct..
    for one.. Joshjr, has done a ton of research on this subject..

Two.. I have been told outright MIS INFORMATION, by CSR's on numerous occations..

including the last time I called, were as the CSR in question, not only told me that I would be able to keep both distants and locals but that the Distants can be turned on at ANY TIME, for anyone who wants them.. and that I shouldn't even worry about it. .plus I was due for a "free upgrade" that I had gotten about 30 months ago..

so while you 'seem to be " in the "know".. I trust the guy who reads and rereads the Shreva rules inside and out.. I trust the guy who wears the star. type of thing. and not a CSR, who, may or may not be correct in what he is saying as gospel..

plus mr CSR.. how long have you been with Directv, and do you actually have the service your self.. because I have been with them 10 plus years, and Josh and I have been talking on an off for close to five. which may or may not be longer then you have been a CSR..

19. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    I have had the DirecTV service since 2000 and have worked with them for 5 years. It is stated in the agent answer center the call center agents go by (that is written by DirecTV mind you) we can not give customers who recieve locals out of their market the dns channels and do not transfer to dns eligibilty per FCC regulations. I am not going to argue with you when I know I have the facts on the subject. If you want to argue about this I suggest you take it up with the people making these laws: Federal Communications Commission
    445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC 20554
    Phone: 1-888-225-5322
    TTY: 1-888-835-5322
    Fax: 1-866-418-0232
    E-mail: fccinfo@fcc.gov

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I think you need to read the newest satellite laws again. You are correct that DirecTV is not allowed to give DNS stations to people with LIL already unless its for a station that is not covered currently in their DMA. Also there are laws for people who have had DNS for a long time that are able to keep DNS and get locals if the locals were added after the grandfathered status was already in affect. I am sure I can dig this information up but not sure its worth my time if you just believe everything DirecTV says. I could poke hols in probably everything that you type. Just know that people can have DNS and LIL per the law.