1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg 3410a

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SD493, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    I know this forum is for the HD Tivo but I didn't see any where else to put this. I get HD from DirectTv and have been considereing the HD TIVO. However, in this month's "The Perfect Vision" I saw a review of the LG 3410A HD video recorder. It doesn't have all the funtionality of Tivo but it will accept cable signals (it is my understanding that the DirectTv HD Tivo will not). Right now I am using DirectTv and an OTA antenna. My cable company has started carrying HD and the locals are in the clear. I get cable
    now for my locals (D* has no announced plans to provide locals for my area).
    (I have cable internet and it is cheaper to get this plus the "lifeline" cable than just the internet alone). With the LG box I would be able to see my HD locals via cable for no additional charge. I can see in the future my HD viewing may be a combination of D* and cable. Does anybody have experience with the LG unit? I wonder if the quality of the sat signal would suffer since it would have to go through the sat box and then the LG unit before it got to the TV instead of straight to the TV. Like I said, I know this is a HD Tivo forum (and I am considereing it) I was just wonder if anybody had any opinions on the LG unit as compared to the Tivo. The only reason I would consider it over the Tivo unit is that cable may again be in the equation
    and only because I already have the cable coming into my house (no box--it runs directly into my Replay). Stan

2. Shappyss

Shappyss AllStar

Jun 26, 2004
    I looked at the User manual for the LG and it is great for recording cable or Local Antenna but there is no way to record Directv High Definition through it. The only video inputs it has are composite for standard video and no DVI or Component Video Inputs to feed in off of a directv box for HD. Other cons are that it has half the drive space

3. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    this unit can not record DirecTV in HD. it only records HD that it tunes.

4. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    Oh well. I knew it was too good to be true. I guess it will be the HD Tivo for me and I will have to continue with OTA feeds for HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.