1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG introduces Tv with "wireless" HDMI connectivity.

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by ndole, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
  2. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I can hear the Monster Cable execs weeping. ;)

3. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Nah, they'll just throw another layer of shielding on that 4ga. HDMI, and call it deluxe.:rolleyes:

4. Juanus

Juanus Legend

Jun 4, 2007
    well, you would still need an HDMI cable from your components to the box. For example if you have a playstation3 or a DirecTV box or something.

Sony had these on the market earlier this year. The XBR10 series and they started pulling them off the market. I thought it was because of the wireless connectivity part, but maybe it was something else.

5. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    or come out with an air osmosis inhibitor that makes the air better for HDMI signals.

6. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
  7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Samsung also had a version of this last year and then discontinued it.

The benefit of this is that you only need to worry about the power cable hanging from the TV when it is up on the wall. I would love to not have to worry about hiding cables in the wall or having them hang down from the TV.

- Merg

8. Juanus

Juanus Legend

Jun 4, 2007
    If Samsung had a version and discontinued it...
    And Sony had a version and discontinued it...
    That doesnt make me want to run out and buy one. Something is up.

9. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Legend

Dec 29, 2007
    NE Atlanta...
    Not going to happen. They are too busy and too giddy filing suits against anyone and everyone for the use of the word monster. What, I'm about to get a letter from them for using the word monster twice in this reply. :D

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I hope it's better than the wireless composite nodes I bought last year for the tv in the kitchen. They'd booger up every time the fridge kicked on, or the microwave was run. Super Lame. :rolleyes:

11. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    The principal use for such a thing would be remote access to a DVR or cable box. The article seems to indicate that it is line-of-sight or nearly so, which makes it pretty much worthless.

12. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Very true, I'd probably pass unless it was RF capable.

13. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    At CES last year Panasonic demo'd a 60GHZ solution. It was roped off so only the people demo'ing the gear could get near it. Probably because walking in the wrong place with too many people would have killed the signal. The 60Ghz band looks promising, but it's a long way from being ready for prime time.

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I can see it now..."Get our new Monster Superwhampladyne HDMI cable...It's better then wireless" :D

Mike

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    They demoed that unit at the CES 2009 show this past January.

Neat to see it actually being released as a production product.

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I find myself wondering how long before A/V component will come with wireless HDMI built in. It's the future. :grin:

Mike

17. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    There is a square plastic insert home theater builders use by cutting a hole in the drywall and inserting this plastic insert for all of the wires going to the wall hung flat panels. A second insert is placed at baseboard level for the wires to exit the drywall and connect to the hardware.

These holes are easily patched if removal ever becomes necessary.

18. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have a very good friend who is a home theater geek. He has pursued wireless HD for years now to one conclusion...

It just isn't ready for prime time, it is inconsistent, easily interfered with and just not stable enough to make its use practical.

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

The point is though that you still have to put two holes in the wall and run the cables through there.

- Merg

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Just because you can mount a flat-panel display on the wall doesn't necessarily mean you should.