Life disrupted... thanks to Covid-19

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mar 14, 2020 #1 of 104
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Covid-19.... that sounds more like a conference instead of a virus that is causing panic.

This past week we saw multiple suspensions, postponements, and outright cancellations. In my personal life....
    • After being one of the first people to preregister for the Texas Pinball Festival last October, I made the decision last Monday to skip it because of crowd concerns. I requested to transfer my registration to next year, but was told that, due to Terms and Conditions, it's a "rain or shine" event. Tuesday, a friend of mine who flies out of California to attend this decided to cancel out as well. Late Thursday afternoon, the organizers decided to cancel out and transfer the registrations to next years show.
    • I'm involved in District 50 Toastmasters, and has volunteered to be a speech judge for a area speech contest at the Richardson Medical Center near my home. At Friday around noon, we received word that the meeting facility is no longer available to the public. This is after the declaration of a public health emergency in Dallas County Thursday evening. The District leadership subsequently announced that all upcoming contests have been suspended and postponed, and will be moving to a online format. The Spring Conference scheduled for the first weekend in May is still on.
    • I also had tickets to the Cirque du Soleil Ovo show on April 25th. That show was cancelled Friday afternoon, and refund is pending.
    • On Thursday, Dallas cancelled the St. Patrick's Day parade which is a major event here.
    • At work Monday afternoon, I had just started the weekly Wednesday lunch order for my department. Word came down that they needed to stress test the corporate VPN for a possible WFH situation, and they needed 25% of the people from each department to WFH on Tuesday, 50% on Wednesday, and 100% on Thursday. 100% on Friday was then added a day later. Three areas (San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, Washington State) were already under mandatory WFH. Friday afternoon arrived, and it was announced that all United States and Canada locations are now mandatory WFH for the forseeable future. Mind you, I work in a department whose service is considered mission critical for many customers. Yes, lunch has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.
    • And, because of isolation, I'm bailing on my Toastmasters group because work is more important.
    I know.... minor things compared with some people who just saw their vacation plans go up in a puff of smoke. Yes, it's a necessary step in order to make sure nothing major happens, but some people just don't see it that way.

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. Mar 14, 2020 #2 of 104
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Deadline Hollywood had an article on benefits available to those who are losing work due to the pandemic. I don't know how comparable programs are from state-to-state and of course Governor Newsom has waived some waiting/administrative requirements.
    • People who are laid off or have reduced hours are eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits.
    • Those unable to work due to having or being exposed to COVID-19, as certified by a medical professional, can file a Disability Insurance (DI) claim.
    • Those who are unable to work because they’re caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19, as certified by a medical professional, can file a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim.
    • Parents who miss work to take care of their children because of school closures may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits if they have no other care options and if they are unable to continue working your normal hours remotely.

Rich likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2020 #3 of 104
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Play is cancelled. I normally work five days a week and have weekends off to "play". Usually a trip out of town. Not usually to places with close prolonged contact (such as a play or sporting event). My greatest risk of weekend exposure (to anything) would be in a retail store or from a fast food worker. Last weekend's fun trip was to Chicago where I spent less than an hour at Chicago's Union Station. The next day I found out that a confirmed positive person had passed through CUS. A week later, worrying about one "confirmed positive" that I know about is less of a worry than the thousands of other people who may or may not have the virus. So If I go anywhere it will be avoiding close contact.

Work is NOT cancelled. Most people where I work cannot work from home. I can on a limited basis, but much of my work is hands on. Work has cancelled all meetings with more than five participants (please use conference systems).

The government is interfering with the rest of life - asking people not to gather in groups over 250. Most of the larger churches in my area have streamed services, so they are asking parishioners to stay away. The smaller churches are under 250. A couple of churches have moved to two services to stay under the 250 recommendation. The government recommendations pretty much cancel most events.

City meetings are being continued on a "as required by law" basis (if they are required to have a meeting, they will). Public participation (Open Meetings Act) will become a problem. They can consider streaming but that excludes people who could attend in person that do not have the capability to stream and interrupts public participation.

4. Mar 15, 2020 #4 of 104
    reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I had worked on a 32 stop/7,000 miles/3 month long trip in my motorhome for several years. We were to leave on April 9th. It now appears it will be cancelled. This would have been to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota. We were planning on stopping at most National Parks and some State Parks in these states. Some states are already closing their state parks and tourist attractions.

5. Mar 15, 2020 #5 of 104
    peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    The whole response is paranoid hysteria stoked by a completely incompetent media. Its a new type of flu. Life needs to carry on. Spain and Italy are locked down. France is closed. Soon Canada will close. Massive over reaction is rampant.

SamC, Rich and n0qcu like this.
  6. Mar 15, 2020 #6 of 104
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    80670F76-08CE-478B-B81A-E5D980BEB2B5.jpg A62771FB-5FFE-412B-B3B4-04DDA90CB3FD.jpg

7. Mar 15, 2020 #7 of 104
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu by Johns Hopkins Medicine:

yosoyellobo, Khaetra and AZ. like this.
  8. Mar 15, 2020 #8 of 104
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It's a virus with a significantly higher death rate than flu.

71,000 people died in the US from flu last year. I dont want to 'carry on' as normal with significantly higher deaths.

yosoyellobo, AZ. and Khaetra like this.
  9. Mar 15, 2020 #9 of 104
    Khaetra

Khaetra Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Florida
    As someone who has a compromised immune system, I don't consider it to be 'over reacting'. Everyone can get a flu shot, this has no vaccine yet and while it sucks that things are closed/cancelled/suspended, I and many others are glad to see drastic measures being taken. Now if y'all would just quit hoarding toilet paper :rolleyes:.

10. Mar 15, 2020 #10 of 104
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    But... but.... toilet tissue is the new currency! How many rolls of toilet tissue for that case of water?

jimmie57 and Khaetra like this.
  11. Mar 15, 2020 #11 of 104
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wish they would tell us the ages of the people that have died so far, were they mostly elderly or had underlying issues?

I wish they would also talk to people that have had it and survived and get their thoughts on it.

Khaetra likes this.
  12. Mar 15, 2020 #12 of 104
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Printing-Money-From-Toilet-Paper--99750.jpg

13. Mar 15, 2020 #13 of 104
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    There have been so many stories about age groups and their likelihood of not surviving a bout of the Coronavirus. Not hard to find at all.

And l’ve seen a few about some survivors.

14. Mar 15, 2020 #14 of 104
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  15. Mar 15, 2020 #15 of 104
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Being contagious before being symptomatic is problematic. People who are strong enough to fight off this new infection could be passing it to others before realizing that what they fought was more than the flu. Those other people may not be able to fight off the new infection as easily.

The lack of easily available testing is making it difficult to get real numbers to see how many people actually have the flu vs COVID-19 and what the survival rate actually will be. But with no treatment available for mild cases other than "stay home and don't die" it is best to avoid getting infected. Especially if you already have health problems.

As testing becomes more widely available we should be able to reduce the panic level. Until then an abundance of caution is a responsible response.

Yes, some have gone too far into panic. Spraying down your children with disinfectant or strangers on the train who look Asian is a bad response. But completely ignoring the threat is equally bad. As with most things, the extremes are the problems. We need to meet in the middle and work together as a society to work this out.

Rich and Khaetra like this.
  16. Mar 15, 2020 #16 of 104
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    We just need to slow it down.... the numbers in the US are probably way low vs reality because of our lack of tests. But it sounds like they are finally about to be able to start testing more people and everyone will be able to be tested for free soon.

17. Mar 15, 2020 #17 of 104
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    As for stories about getting better... follow the famous people. Of course it’s probable that the athletes will have a bit easier time getting better than most imho because they are in top physical condition and exposed to a lot of colds and such in general due to all their travel to different areas and therefore I think they probably have a bit better immune system than most.

18. Mar 15, 2020 #18 of 104
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A reminder that DBSTalk is not a political forum. Please stay away from political commentary - which is subject to removal without notice.

19. Mar 15, 2020 #19 of 104
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seems like every time I see someone has died from this virus they do have the underlying issues. Just saw an 84 year old fire fighter from NYC died from the virus. He had problems caused by being at Ground Zero after 9/11. I have not seen one instance of someone "old" that didn't have those underlying issues dying.

Rich

20. Mar 15, 2020 #20 of 104
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There were several in China and some younger people as well... The point here though is there is a S**** of elderly americans and alot with underlying repository issues.. The point of all of this is to try and protect them....

You close the schools so the kids who show no symptoms and are basically carriers dont hug grandma and grandpa.. Yes there will be the underlying under 60 year old that struggles with this.. But unless you want to see a generation wiped out real quick then i suggest everyone head the warning and stay home if you can

Italy is literally reporting hundreds of deaths per day

Rich and Khaetra like this.