1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light strip across top of image - DVR going?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryElbow, May 31, 2013.

1. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I've got an old HR20/700 HD DVR that has served me faithfully for several years. I just bought a new TV (Panasonic ST series plasma) and have noticed that video coming from the DVR through my A/V receiver is showing a band across the top of the screen that is markedly lighter than the rest of the screen. This is particularly obvious in dark scenes. I am NOT getting this from my Blu-ray player, my media player or my Xbox, all of which go through the A/V receiver and into the same HDMI input on the TV. I am also NOT getting this from video streaming from the apps on the TV itself (NetFlix, Amazon streaming, etc.).

Does this mean that my DVR is on the way out? From what I read on the service fees I'm paying monthly, I can demand and get a new DVR. Trouble is, the hours and hours of video recorded on the external 1.5 Tb drive I have would not transfer over. Or would it? Has DirecTV changed it's policy regarding "locking" video on external DVRs to the exact DVR they were recorded on? If I could get a new DVR and still watch what's on the drive, I would be a happy camper.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Recordings wouldn't transfer unless they were OTA. However, your DVR is fine, I think you need to adjust your overscan. That strip is actually closed caption data I believe.

3. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I sure do wish they'd change that policy about transferring recordings!

I've tried it with overscan set on and off and, while it is smaller with overscan off (or is it on?), it's still there. It may be that the overscan was even more aggressive on the old Samsung DLP that it is on the Panny plasma and that it was entirely hidden by that TV and exposed (whether a little or a lot) by the new TV.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can tell them your problems and they will send you a different DVR. There is a very good chance it will NOT be new.

Before you get into the service menu on your TV and open Pandora's Box, I'd recommend that you connect your DVR to another TV and see if the problem is between the DVR and your TV or if it is indeed the DVR going away.

CC data is not embedded in the video image with digital video (as it was with analog video) so I'm not convinced of dpeters11's evaluation.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Jerry, I occasionally get something similar on my GT, which is just the model down from your new VT. THere is less overscan on the extremely good quality tv's. Its not your dvr, and if it really bothers you my best advice is to change the picture settings on the tv for when you are watching from your Directv equipment. I adjusted the picture settings to give less overscan as you may have, but occasionally you see stuff thats outside of the protected area from broadcasters who are a little fast and lose with their framing.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ok, maybe not CC data, but I am positive it is not his DVR going bad.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    harsh, CC data is indeed embedded in the video image.

to the TS, does this strip looks like a "dotted" line?

8. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I had to adjust the over scan on my Sony tv because of this, not a big deal and not a faulty DVR or tv for that matter.

9. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I should probably have been more clear on this. This is NOT a dotted line, nor does it move or change. Imagine dropping contrast way down and the brightness way up. This would turn an all-black screen medium grey and a scene with mixed colors into a much lighter, more faded scened. Now imagine doing that to only the top 20 or so rows of pixels on the screen. That's what I'm getting. If there's an image or text that extends into that area, I can still see it; it's just lighter in color ("faded") in that area.

I hate to turn the overscan on (or is it off - it seems like the menu option is named somewhat backwards to me) as it crops text from the news crawls on a number of stations when I do.

10. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    They sent an email a week or so ago, justifying their increase in the protection plan pricing, and it really made it sound like I could have a new (and theoretically faster/better) unit essentially just for the asking. Maybe this was because of how old my current unit is or maybe it was written in a misleading way. The latter wouldn't surprise me from anybody.

I had definitely planned on trying the unit on the upstairs TV before asking for a new one. I would also try finishing up all the more important shows (a whole season of Game of Thrones, a whole season of Doctor Who, etc.) plus try to get my wife to give up on saving the episodes of the shows she HAS seen before trying to swap it out. I may still do that anyway. I shouldn't be so trusting of the reliability of an aging unit like this.

11. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    After being a long-time proponent of DLP sets ("Hey, it's what they use in theaters and I'm trying to recreate the theater experience in my home theater!"), I am now a total convert to the Panasonic plasmas. The ST series (I fat-fingered and type VT in the original post) was given the best rating ever by C-Net and now their much-more-expensive ZT series was rated by them as the best picture they've ever seen. After I did the 100-hour slideshow break-in and tried a few different sets of settings shared by people who'd had their sets ISF calibrated, I am utterly gobsmacked by the video quality. It really shows off my Blu-ray player and media player (NetGear NEOTV 550) and the streaming video though it looks a bit faded on my Xbox (at least, on the only game I ever play on it - Tiger Woods PGA Tour golf) and unfortunately is highlighting this one issue with the DirecTV signal. I was hoping for a simple setting fix, but it looks like that won't be the case.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The new PP would allow you to upgrade to a Genie. It doesn't guarantee a brand new HR24 as a replacement for your HR20.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Jerry,
    do you have another HD receiver that you could swap out on this TV to see if it does it also ?

14. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Does this occur if you bypass the AVR and connect the DVR directly to your TV's HDMI port?

Also maybe try a component cable from DVR directly to TV to rule out an HDMI issue.