1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnnytex, Jul 27, 2013.

1. johnnytex

johnnytex Legend DBSTalk Club

Jul 20, 2007
    Had a big lightning strike close to the house last night.
    Result, a fried HR34-200 and HR20-700.
    The remaining HR20-700 works just fine.
    The other two light up and that is it.
    No picture or anything.
    Anyone have any suggestions or help?
    Lot’s o stuff on the Genie.
    Thanks
    johnnytex

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you say the remaining HR20 works just fine, does it have a picture, etc. ?

3. johnnytex

Jul 20, 2007
    Yes, I have units. two fried and one working [SIZE=11pt]perfectly.[/SIZE]

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them and they will come out and replace the units and check out the system.

Are these units hooked up to a UPS / Surge Suppressor ?
    If not, that might prevent the next power problem from knocking out your units and Losing your recorded stuff.

I had a strike really close last summer and it knocked out the LNB on my dish. My units were on Surge Suppressors.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried plugging something different in each of the sockets where the units are not to make sure the sockets are good and putting out electricity ? Sometimes the socket gets burned.

6. johnnytex

Jul 20, 2007
    They are coming out on Tuesday.
    Don’t really want to lose the Genie.

All units on APC UPS.

Front panel lights up but no boot.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I assume you've tried a red button reset and unplugging overnight?

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is couple of posters that reported that their units would get stuck trying to boot and for some reason the first one said he unplugged the HDMI cable and it booted up. The second poster then tried that with his and it worked.

You might try it just for the heck of it and to hopefully not lose your recordings.

9. johnnytex

Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions but still no love.

10. johnnytex

Jul 20, 2007
    Could a bad drive cause the unit not to boot?

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    File a claim with your insurance company and leave it open or at least be able to add to it for six months or so. Damage from a strike that close can cause things to fail tomorrow, a month or six months later.

I had a strike hit a tree outside our garage and found routers, switches, individual ports on switches, bad connectors on cable, telephones, circuit breakers but luckily no HRs -- they're on UPSes. But even that's no guarantee, Lightening can do funny (not really funny) things.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It appears you have a SWM 16 since you have 9 tuners.

Is the Genie and the HR20 that does not work using the same side of the SWM 16 ?

If they are, you might switch sides with them and see if they work and the one good one stops working.
    If it is easily accessible and you want to try it.

Edit: Add: Have you tried unplugging the power inserter and wait a few minutes and plug it back in to basically reset the SWM 16 ?

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    In a word, yes. You can test that by adding an external.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And you are sure the tvs are still working properly on those inputs? Just making sure.

15. johnnytex

Jul 20, 2007
    Yes replaced the HR34 with a H24-100 and it works fine with same cabling.
    When I plug in the HR34,the front panel lights up but no more actions.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I once lost a HR to a blown transformer at the corner outside of my home. Have an whole home surge protector. All other electronics survived with no issues.

It always amazes me the randomness of home equipment that don't survive an electrical hit, even when the hard wire connections are protected.

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And it's not only lightning . . . our utility changed our meter one Saturday . . I asked the guy to give me a few minutes to shut down the computers but didn't unplug them.

The guy pulled the meter and slammed the new one in within seconds. It would have been better if he had pulled it, counted to 20 and put the new one in.

My wifes $1500 Dell Desktop never recovered. Its power supply was still online and blew the motherboard.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Whole home surge protectors are not as good of protection as a surge suppressor directly connected to the equipment. Because of the way surges travel over electrical wiring, the longer the distance from your whole house surge suppressor to the equipment, the less protection it offers. Whole house surge suppressors aren't quite a scam, but they're quite oversold for the amount of protection they offer.

19. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Whole home surge protectors are not as good of protection as a surge suppressor directly connected to the equipment. Because of the way surges travel over electrical wiring, the longer the distance from your whole house surge suppressor to the equipment, the less protection it offers. Whole house surge suppressors aren't quite a scam, but they're quite oversold for the amount of protection they offer.

A couple of years ago after having some lightning damage to equipment that was connected to a UPS, I was ready to take the offer from our city's electric department of a whole home surge protection for a monthly fee. I know the director of the department so I called him to get his thoughts on whole home surge protection. Basically he told me that if my system was properly grounded it was almost as good as the whole home surge protection, he offered to have a crew come by to check the ground ratings of my electrical system in my 60 year old home. Sure enough there were significant issues including inadequate ground rods and a loose ground rod clamp. I hired an electrician to correct the issues he added 2 additional 8 foot ground rods, connected all the rods together as well as adding a ground block for other items to be connected to the common ground. My system ground was retested by the electric department and had a very good ground rating.

Checking the grounding of your home's electrician system is a good idea but if the strike is close enough there are no guarantees. No matter what protection you have.

20. dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    Just wanted to add to this conversation that an often overlooked entry point are your data cables coming into your house. I've seen a lightening surge travel down a coax cable for a cable modem, fry the modem, exit the modem through the cat5 wiring, then travel down the cat5 wiring and fry everything connected to it. For this reason, I think it would be wise to surge protect the cable modem coax, teleco, and any Ethernet cable coming from outside - before any of those are connected to the rest of your home wiring. Of course these lines should all be properly grounded too. This is in addition to the whole home and local ups protectors others have described.