Limit # of episodes saved in show folders on DISH

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by velvetfan, Feb 23, 2021.

1. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    I am trying to save all episodes of Schitts Creek on my Hopper 3. I have a manual folder called SAVED. In that folder I keep saving episodes of SC and they all appear in the show older inside my SAVED folder. When I hit 59 episodes, episodes disappear when I add new episodes. Now I have one manual folder with 179 episodes inside, but no "show" folder has more that 20 episodes inside. Is there a limit of 59 episodes for a show folder or s it possible because it's limited because I put it in a manual folder? My Hopper3 HD still has 40% space available (as does my ext drive) but that isn't relevant. I called DISH and they cannot give me an answer. Any help is appreciated.

2. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Can you " lock" the recordings so they won't get deleted?.. I know that works on a VIP dvr

3. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Thanks. I tried but the only option like that is only available in settings to record. I always chose Do not delete option; I never choose any option that allows deleting. thanks

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Have you tried moving episodes out of the folder and seeing if some of the episodes reappear?

I don't use the folders on my Hopper ... I rely on the automatic grouping that puts one tile on the screen per program. I have not seen a limit to the number of programs under a show title.

5. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    I did remove the autoFolder (Name & image of show) from the folder I created and no missing shows reappeared. That is when I tried leaving half of the shows in the autoFolder and I created another separate folder with the other half. Now when I get new episodes i will be sure no autoFolder has more than 59 episodes. Hopefully that will work. If I need 2 folders to save all episodes I can live with that. I was surprised that if there is a limit, I would assume I would get a warning before I add episodes to a folder if they are going to result in other episodes disappearing. thanks

6. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Did you try going into the timer for that show, then edit timer, then where it says keep click save all?

7. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    What a great idea! I went into timer and on that Show I set Keep (all events) Protect (On) and Folder (I chose Schitts folder). I will see if that works. It's the best idea I've heard yet. My HD's always had room and I never set Protect before because I assumed stuff would drop IF HD was approaching full. Thanks so much. BTW, when shows disappeared, I did go to TRASH to undo but they didn't show in trash. (Kinda like deleting an On demand show.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    dennispap likes this.
  8. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Sorry, you were suggesting the same thing as the next poster. I just didn't understand OR it looked different on my DISH. Save all isn't an option but Protect is. I had NOT chosen that because my shows never were deleted in over 6 years. thanks again

9. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    You have to be quick with deleted recordings. I think the trash folder empties after 24-36 hours.

10. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    It is supposed to be 48 hours but it never goes that long as far as I can tell. I was watching to see when I added 2 episodes and 2 disappeared; I immediately went to TRASH and they were not there. It is similar to when you delete an OnDemand movie. It does not go to trash.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have items in Trash that i deleted on Monday. I have not heard of a 48 hour minimum for retention. Items can disappear quickly when the hard drive is full and space is needed (I am currently at 93% full).

12. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Ouch! I watch tons of stuff as soon as I can to stay under 60% on my Hopper HD and below 60% on my 3TB external drive. I bet when you get into 90% I would guess that trash drops off faster because the TRASH still counts toward space.

13. juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    I found a pdf on the hopper support page that talks of a keep option for folders..default is 20( change able)...cant upload it..too large search hopper user guude. will try get a screen shot

14. juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    Here is a link...roughly page 56
    Dish Hopper User Manual - Page 1 of 138

velvetfan likes this.
  15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "keep" option refers to the recording settings, not the number of items per folder.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That's the point. Even at 90% recordings deleted more than 24 hours ago remain. At 60% you shouldn't have programs deleted quickly due to the receiver needing the space.

dennispap likes this.
  17. juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    According to that pdf..the default is 20 and can be changed

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The 20 limit is in the block that refers to "Other Recording Options". Not folders. Folders is one of the recording options that can be set. # of recordings kept is a separate option.

19. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    I spent time all over settings and didn't find any options for folders other than rename, delete, or create I think. I looked all over. Can you tell me how to get to those settings?

20. velvetfan

velvetfan New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    BTW, I have the folder with the printed cover (show folder/auto) with 18 episodes and my manual folder has 42 so I now have over 59 episodes of Schitts creek saved! yay