Limit on # of songs that can be accessed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lank123, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lank123

lank123 New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I recently installed an ethernet line to my HR20-100 and have successfully downloaded VOD items. My problem is using the new Music & Photos option.

I can connect to either of my two computers (one XP and one Vista) and have no problem playing music from either machine using an existing playlist. However, when I select "music" from the menu I receive the error message "unable to access media"..

After spending a lot of time troubleshooting the situation I finally narrowed the problem down to the number of songs (or possibly files/folders) that I have in WMP11. I moved all of my songs out of the monitored folders and library and started adding them back in small increments. Everything works fine until I reach somewhere around 3,000 songs at which time the error message returns.

Is there a stated/known maximum to the number of songs that the HR20 can handle? I have seen several posts in these forums where others are getting this error message and possibly they are running into the same "maximum limit"..

If it is a known limitation are there any plans to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Phil

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Congrats on your first post! I would suggest a different media sharing program like Nero, TVersity or Twonky. I don't know for sure that it's a WMP issue but it seems like people are pretty happy with those other programs.

3. lank123

lank123 New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Stuart - I don't think there is any issue with WMP as it has been handling my music collection without any problems for several years. I can connect without any problem using the XBOX360. There just seems to be a magic threshold when using the HR20 as a front end.

I found a posting where someone mentioned that they thought there was a limit but they didn't provide any specifics, so I was hoping that someone here on the forum would have some more definitive information.

Anyone else out there have a large music collection on WMP that they can successfully access with the HR20??

Thanks,

Phil

4. lintball

lintball Cool Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I have over 20K songs and it seems to work fine (WMP11, XP Pro). It is SLOWWW loading the lists, though.

edit: My HR20 is connected using a wireless bridge...that may account for some of the speed issues?

5. lank123

lank123 New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    lintball -

Thanks for your reply. If it's working for you with 20k then my 6k should certainly work. Guess I'll go back and do some more troubleshooting to see if I can find the root cause of my problem. Can you please tell me how you have your music organized (i.e. number of individual folders).

Thanks,
    Phil

6. Slump Buster

Slump Buster DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Hi Phil,

I'm up to about 60k songs covering 400 gig. I'd been a loyal Twonky user until the newest video capabilities came out for the hr20-700, at which point I've switched to Tversity, which is free and accessible from outside of my firewall. I can now play my collection anywhere. I do have my files tagged (you can't imagine that project) and I do have them arranged first by the first letter of artist name, artist name, and then album.

7. lintball

lintball Cool Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I use media monkey to organize (great free program). It will auto organize however you tell it, and it is great with HUGE libraries.

I use...

G:\music\by artist\artist\album\song
    G:\music\soundtracks\album\song
    etc..

like...

G:\music\by artist\Van Halen\5150\05 - Dreams.mp3

Like I said, the HR20 over wireless takes maybe 30 seconds to show the list of songs, but then it plays very quickly.

8. Slump Buster

Oct 10, 2006
    I think this is one characteristic where you really see a difference between programs and the indexing speed of your pc. I seem to have had better luck lately when using Tversity (the first load is about 5 seconds and then everything else after that is fast), but nowhere near the speed that I get using my Tivo software on another box.

9. lank123

lank123 New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to stay with WMP11 as my sole provider (it works great with the XBOX).. Just wanted to use the HR20 for "quick and dirty" playing of music. As of now the HR20 just doesn't have all the features that the XBOX offers.

Still baffled as to why the HR20 works fine on my system until I get to around 3,000 songs and then it just suddenly can't find the music ("unable to access media") when I go over some "breaking point". I'm still digging to try and find the cause but it's getting a little frustrating.

Phil

10. Slump Buster

Oct 10, 2006
    Have you looked at TVersity? It specifically supports xbox and probably has way more features than WMP in terms of what you can subscribe to on the web. It is also free. I had it running within a half hour of downloading it.

11. linerjoe

linerjoe Cool Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I have an HR20-700 with about 15k songs working through Twonky on Linux. It isn't particularly fast, but it's working!

TVersity looks nice, but it doesn't work with Mac or Linux.

joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.