1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LIN Media Restored on Dish Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tecumseh, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 #1 of 154
    tecumseh

tecumseh Cool Member

Jan 17, 2009
    While I don't have Dish, I have plenty of family/friends who do. I was just watching WISH-8, and they stated that they are looking dimly at the possibility of a retransmission agreement with Dish by Mar. 4, and that WISH and WNDY will likely go dark beyond that. I realize these things happen, but wondered if someone here might have a better handle on the actual situation, versus the station attempt to paint it as they have. Thanks for any insight....

2. Feb 28, 2011 #2 of 154
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Basically, the local provider wants more money from Dish (or DirecTV or FIOS or UVerse...) and Dish is not willing to pay that amount.

3. Feb 28, 2011 #3 of 154
    MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    We are currently in contract negotiations with LIN, the owner of some local station(s). LIN has demanded an outrageous rate increase of over 140% for the continued carriage of your channel(s). That is like demanding an overnight increase of nearly $8 a gallon for gas, which is unacceptable and irresponsible. We will continue to negotiate with LIN in hopes of a fair deal.

4. Feb 28, 2011 #4 of 154
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Standard retransmission consent renewal issues.

http://investor.echostar.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=553321
    DISH Network Issues Statement on LIN Media Retransmission Negotiations

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Feb. 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. issued the following statement about its ongoing retransmission negotiations with LIN Media regarding continued carriage of local channels in 17 markets:

"LIN Media, a corporate media conglomerate, is threatening to block DISH Network customers from watching its local channels in 17 markets across the country. LIN Media is demanding more than a 140 percent rate hike and other burdensome contract terms that ultimately will result in higher prices for consumers. We are pleased the FCC is meeting this week to seek changes to the outdated retransmission consent process. In the meantime, DISH Network is diligently negotiating with LIN Media, and we're hopeful we can reach a fair agreement."​

Stations:
    WISH (CBS) and WNDY (MyNetwork) in Indianapolis.
    WANE (CBS) in Fort Wayne, IN.
    WTHI (CBS) in Terre Haute, IN.
    WLFI (CBS) in Lafayette, IN.
    WOOD (NBC) and WXSP (MyNetwork) in Grand Rapids, MI.
    WOTV (ABC) in Battle Creek, MI.
    WWHO (CW) Columbus, OH.
    WDTN (NBC) and WBDT (CW) in Dayton, OH.
    WUPW (Fox) in Toledo, OH.
    WALA (Fox) and WFNA (CW) in Mobile, AL.
    WTNH (ABC) and WCTX (MyNetwork) in New Haven, CT.
    KRQE (CBS) and KASA (Fox) in Albuquerque, NM.
    WIVB (CBS) and WNLO (CW) in Buffalo, NY.
    WWLP (NBC) in Springfield, MA.
    WPRI (CBS) and WNAC (Fox) in Providence, RI.
    KXAN (NBC) and KNVA (CW) in Austin, TX.
    KBVO (MyNetwork) in Llano, TX.
    WAVY (NBC) and WVBT (Fox) in Norfolk, VA.
    WLUK (Fox) and WCWF (CW) in Green Bay, WI.

5. Feb 28, 2011 #5 of 154
    tecumseh

tecumseh Cool Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Hi Matt (and others), and thanks for the prompt response. That does seem quite outrageous. Such bad timing with the NCAA tournament right around the corner. I hope something works for all....

6. Feb 28, 2011 #6 of 154
    emathis

emathis Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 19, 2003
    Yeah, tonight during Wheel of Fortune KRQE ran a crawl asking us to call Dish if you didn't want to lose their feed on Dish on March 4th. Didn't we just go through this with Lin not too long ago?

7. Feb 28, 2011 #7 of 154
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    It's very much like when Fox was trying to stick it to E* for their stations carriage.

8. Mar 1, 2011 #8 of 154
    Barrysb

Barrysb Mentor

Jul 16, 2004
    I don't mind too much how this turns out as I can receive the Norwalk, VA channels via an attic antenna. But does anyone know if the EPG info disappears if the channels are turned off? If so, then my timers won't work and I will be a bit angry.:mad:

9. Mar 1, 2011 #9 of 154
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sorry, DISH typically destroys the EPG for channels when they are pulled from the air. Your OTAs will change to either "important information" or "Digital Service". Time based timers will continue to work.

10. Mar 1, 2011 #10 of 154
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I still think all broadcasters should pay Dish, DireccTV, cable to carry locals. The system is backwards!

11. Mar 1, 2011 #11 of 154
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I completely agree with you on this. Without Dish,DirectTV, and cable carrying the locals there would be a lot less eyes on the channels

12. Mar 1, 2011 #12 of 154
    sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    What about adding a la carte, like the 5 superstations, other ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX west and east coast affiliates? It would be cheaper than paying those fees to LIN.

13. Mar 1, 2011 #13 of 154
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unfortunately Congress has granted stations an exclusive within their market areas. LIN is the only CBS that can be delivered within the Indianapolis market, the only NBC that can be delivered within the Grand Rapids market. DISH cannot import another affiliate from outside the market (unless they deliver that affiliate ONLY to areas where the in market affiliate does not have OTA coverage - which is messy and doesn't cover the core population).

14. Mar 2, 2011 #14 of 154
    ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    LIN is awful, IMO. They are the worst of the lot in terms of unreasonable demands on retransmission fees.

15. Mar 3, 2011 #15 of 154
    ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Sure seems like it. I sent emails to both CASA and KRQE slamming LIN for their greed and telling them I am 100% in Charlie Ergen and Dish's corner. I have an antenna and I will use it. This is a free signal. LIN wants Dish to pay for their new HD conversion it seems. :nono:

16. Mar 5, 2011 #16 of 154
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    LIN Media Pulls Plug on Dish Network Customers, Continues Demands for Enormous Rate Increase

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., March 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., issued the following statement from Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming, about its retransmission negotiations with LIN Media regarding carriage of 27 local channels in 17 markets:

"It's unfortunate that LIN Media, a corporate media conglomerate, pulled its channels down at midnight, holding viewers in 17 markets across the nation hostage while attempting to coerce DISH Network to submit to outrageous demands. Even more disappointing is the fact that LIN Media didn't even make an effort to keep negotiating during the final hours and failed to respond despite our numerous attempts to reach them. LIN Media also refused to grant the contract extension DISH Network proposed. DISH Network offered LIN Media a fee increase comparable to market rates already agreed to with more than 1,000 other TV stations. However, in the last few days, LIN Media increased its fees even more, demanding more than a 175 percent rate increase in the first year alone.

"LIN Media is simply being greedy, insisting on a rate increase so immense that DISH Network and its customers couldn't possibly absorb it. Their onerous demands and burdensome contract terms would result in payments of millions of dollars more each month, exceeding current market rates and demanding more money than we pay most of our popular national networks.

"We are pleased the FCC met this week to propose changes to this outdated retransmission consent process between broadcasters and pay-TV operators. We believe the system is broken and are happy to see the FCC recognize it is time to make changes that put consumers' needs at the forefront.

"DISH Network remains open to further talks with LIN Media in hopes of reaching a fair deal to restore the channels."

SOURCE DISH Network L.L.C.

17. Mar 5, 2011 #17 of 154
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I've said that many times here.

Their viewership increases as a result of cable and satellite which allows them to increase their advertising rates. They only gain from allowing their signal on cable and satellite.

18. Mar 5, 2011 #18 of 154
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If the goal of LIN is to get the FCC to act more quickly to make changes, they have succeeded. Poor timing on their part.

19. Mar 5, 2011 #19 of 154
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow. Piss-poor timing on LIN's part.

20. Mar 5, 2011 #20 of 154
    Gilitar

Gilitar Legend

Jul 31, 2004
    The major networks need to step in and threaten LIN. In the end the networks are losing revenue because of LIN's greed.