Linksys bridge is toast, what can I use to connect Whole Home?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by fsquid, Mar 31, 2016.

1. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    Had an old Linksys bridge that I had connected to my Whole Home service to use the on demand features, etc. Somehow, its now toast and can't be used. It doesn't seem like anyone sells internet bridges anymore. Can I use a range extender to connect my Whole Home to my WiFi? Thanks in advance.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    I guess that is what they want you to use instead of a third party device?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you checked Ebay ? or Amazon ?

5. hmcm

hmcm New Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Canton, OH
    The Linksys E2500 has a "Bridge Mode" which I have used for years. I use it for my wireless connections since my AT&T Uverse DSL modem only has 54mbps.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried several range extenders and ended up buying a new router. IIRC, I had the same modem you have and switched to a

NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 4x4 MU-MIMO Smart WiFi Gigabit Gaming Router (R7800-100NAS. More than doubled my wireless speed. You don't need a range extender with this router.

Rich

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you tell us more about your DirecTV system as far as what model receivers you have etc. we may be able to help you come up with a better/cheaper solution. The wireless CCK that Jimmie57 posted is most likely the right way to do it though.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The Directv wireless CCK is still the best value - at least the last time I checked on my account - $30 or so. The Linksys WET-610N or WGA-600N are still available.

9. Apr 1, 2016 #9 of 14
    goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    They are all-in-one devices now. Checkout this Amazon search... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_asi_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awireless+bridge&keywords=wireless+bridge&ie=UTF8&qid=1459538182

You would use bridge or client mode probably. Some are as cheap as $8. I use the TP-Link stuff myself.

I have 3 TP-LINK TL-WA801ND. 1 is in AP mode and 2 are in client mode. On each client I have 5-ports swithces connected. Then I have my D* boxes, PCs & gaming consoles connected. No problem at all with WHDVR or DOD downloads.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One more try at this: I tried several range extenders with my E2500, which was very good for several years, but nothing I tried (and I did try the NEATGEAR extenders) did much as far as speed goes. The router I ended up buying and posted about in this thread did everything I wanted and more. Yeah, it wasn't as cheap as the extenders are but it works a whole lot better.

Rich

11. TimC

TimC Member

Jun 27, 2016
    I am using the Netgear wifi extender with the ethernet port connected to DECA. I tried using the Wireless CCK, made my system buggy. Plus that CCK ran very hot.

12. TimC

TimC Member

Jun 27, 2016
    I have two options for connected home. 1) Wireless CCK connected into coax near main HR34 server downstairs, worked ok. Kind of slow until I realized option 2) Using the DECA II that I had from my first setup. My router is upstairs and I was able to just connect the DECA to the wall outlet with coax and plug the ethernet right into the router since it is not near the HR34. I have The swim splitter which is outside the house. Only the HR34 uses one port on the SWM splitter because I have wireless Genies Minis. I think I like this setup better because its less wireless stuff to slow things down and I have an Apple Extreme gigabit router. Gonna try this for a while or until they give me a HR44.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The DECA wired directly to your router is the best bet and I would leave it that way even if you get an HR44.

14. TimC

TimC Member

Jun 27, 2016
    I plan on it. It seems way faster and more stable than the wireless CCK.