1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip Sync problem

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JDErickson, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 7, 2007 #1 of 17
    JDErickson

JDErickson New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I seem to have continual lip sync problems on National Geo HD channel. It's quite bad 2-3 seconds ahead of the picture.

All other channels are ok.

Anyone else have this problem and is there anyway to fix it?

2. Aug 7, 2007 #2 of 17
    ardeel

ardeel Cool Member

Jul 27, 2007
    first i would make sure your software is current, do your have audio rec ? if so what type of connections are you using when ever this happens to me ( only on recorded shows though ) i just slam into rewind for a second or two and then slam back into foward, sometimes takes a couple of tries

3. Aug 7, 2007 #3 of 17
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You are too close to the TV, back up several hundred feet and the sound and picture will be in sync.;)

4. Aug 7, 2007 #4 of 17
    JDErickson

JDErickson New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Have a VIP622 with 4.05 software. Hooked up through a HTIB system via Optical connection from DVR to Receiver.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 17
    Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Is your Dolby Digital setting on the 622 set to HD?

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 17
    JDErickson

JDErickson New Member

Jul 10, 2007

I think the option is to sync to HD or SD and it's set to HD.

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 17
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    I have 2 vip 211 and they both were off sync this am.Today On Nat Geo HD, I was watching some show about alligators at 8AM cst, and the audio was off by about 2 seconds. Both are hooked up via hdmi. That is the only channel i noticed, although tnthd is frequently off also.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 17
    Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    If all other channels are fine, then it's probably NatGeo giving you problems. See if it does it when it's conncted straight to your TV?

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 17
    hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I think the lip sync problem on DTV's side than the receiver's. I notice the problem on all my receivers from the one I first got 10 years ago to the HR 20. The HR 20 is unique in that it seems to happen more when pausing out of live play. I think it seems to happen more with the local channels though on the non HR 20 units.

10. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have to ask.... Why are you asking this question on a Dishnetwork forum when you appear to have a DirecTV system? If it is a DirecTv problem then they'd be mor likely to notice there, If it is a NatGeoHD problem then everybody will notice it whether they have D*, E* or Cable.

Having said that if you are hooked up to a HTIB then that could be adding a delay.

11. JDErickson

JDErickson New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I have Dish

VIP622 V4.05

12. nick58

nick58 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I too am seeing this problem on NatGeo HD. First noticed it last night. SD version was fine. I have HDMI going to tv and optical to my ht receiver. Didn't matter whether I listened to audio from ht receiver or if I turned up the sound on my tv so audio came through the HDMI, audio still had the same problem. This is the first audio sync problem I've had in quite a while.

13. eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    My Cubs games on Wgntv are one a 10 to 15 second delay. I hear what happened on the radio before I see it.

14. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    JDErickson, I was replying to the post above mine not yours. He seems to have D* not E*. I merged his reply and your question into one sender in my mind somehow. Sorry :icon_peac

15. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The radio broadcasts are realtime, any channel on satellite TV is subject to delays due to:

1. The time it takes the signal to be sent to the uplink center and be converted and compressed into the proper format by the encoders.

2. The time it takes to signal to be sent to the satellite location over the equator and then back to your dish.

3. If you have a DVR there may be a further delay as it is buffered to the hard disk drive.

There may be other reasons too. Many if not all TV stations now delay live broadcasts and have someone manning a dump (kill) button. This has become more or less manditory for live broadcasts ever since Janet Jacksons stunt during a live broadcast.

You will make your self crazy watching the game on TV and listening on the radio no matter how much better the sportcasters on the radio are.

16. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    I think that TBoneit is talking about something different than the original post. I think the original post is talking about how image and sound do not line-up. They are out of sync.

Anyways... Yes. I have noticed sync problems too that seem to have 'reappeared' after Dish made improvements. It is more prominent on HD channels it seems. My ATL locals (in HD) have been off for several days now. I haven't noticed NationalGeo HD but haven't watched that in a few days. I have noticed some sync problems from StarzHD w/recorded programs sometimes.

All the generic remedies don't seem to help (like reverse/forward, reboot, etc.) Yes, all my settings are correct too--checked all the HD/SD, Dolby, PCM output settings.

So.... Yes, there is a problem and it does not seem to be any error by the end user/customer. It appears to be a problem with Dish Network and/or the channel providers' feeds to Dish.

17. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.