Live Sports Video Freezes while Audio Continues...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Codeman00, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I have noticed while watching live sports that the video will freeze during high motion scenes, etc. The video will then jump to live skipping over what was missed. I noticed during Redzone split game screens where they show 3 games on one screen, the video even freezes on just one of the Redzone games and not the others (it seems to be related again to the fast motion of the play). If you replay the same scene from the DVR, the video is fine...it only hangs with the live feed....and the problem seems to be getting more frequent.

I thought I had it isolated to my 50ft HDMI cable but my wife actually noticed it happening on an entirely different receiver too that has a short HDMI run of 3 feet. I have 3 HR24s and a HR44, the problem has been seen on the HR24 and HR44...so it must be some other type of equipment failure. I can call AT&T/DirecTV out to look at it. Any idea what the problem might be so I can point the service guy in the right direction since I probably won't be able to recreate the failure while he is here?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Are the 24 and 44 you mention using the original internal hard drives? If they are, the HDDs in them are over 5 years old. Those HDDs might be causing your problems. That's something you can't have fixed by having an installer come out to your home. You mention "some type of equipment failure", that could be those HDDs. An installer can't do anything about that except give you a replacement HR, which will have a 5-year-old (or older) HDD in it. If it is an HDD problem you can put an external drive on the problematic HR but you will lose the recordings on the old HDD.

Rich

3. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Good to know. That's not what I wanted to hear, but good to know. The HR44 is from 2013 and I've lost track of the age of that particular HR24 since we've had them go out, replaced, and moved them from room to room. What's interesting though is that I just replaced an HR24 that had the video freezes with another HR24 and it does the same thing. I had never seen it on the HR44 until my wife saw it this weekend...but it has to be live sports for it to happen.

Side note, I have a service call into AT&T...they now take your information down, escalate it to tech support and tech support is going to call me back? Hopefully? Awful customer service..

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The old HDDs cause most of the problems we see on the HRs in them. You might want to take a look at the beginning of this thread: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?.
    I had similar problems with all my HRs, and I found a way to fix them. Just skim thru that thread; you will see what I mean.

Rich

DrummerBoy523 and Codeman00 like this.
  5. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'll check it out. Thanks!

Rich likes this.