Live vs. film

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by tfederov, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Not sure how other to describe it. Watching sports has a very different look to it vs. watching a movie or a TV show. Sports looks live, almost as though you're there. TV shows (Terminator, Prison Break, The Office) have a different look to them as far as the video quality.

With all of that being said, if I record a sporting event and watch it with the HMC, shouldn't it come across the same way? I'm just wanting to know if I should use component vs. VGA coming out of my video card. Will it make a difference or should the expectation be that there will be a little bit of video conversion when ported to the PC? In a way, the Slingbox does the same thing but I'm curious to know if we should be getting apples for apples going from HR20 to TV quality vs. HMC to monitor (which happens to be my TV as well).

Hope my question makes sense.

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    A Slingbox works differently since it is taking the video output and then sending that over the network. I'm not exactly sure how the PC application is working though. Is the HR20 sending an encrypted version of what would come out of the component/HDMI outputs or is it sending the raw data from the hard drive and letting the application decode it?

I understand what you're saying though. Perhaps someone who has a laptop or their PC in the same location as their HDTV can make a direct video quality comparison.

3. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Video on the laptop lacks brightness & contrast vs. DVR playback on the TV.
    Got an HDMI output, will have to try and connect to a TV and see what that looks like vs. the laptop display.

4. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I am getting very good quality on my laptop. In full screen mode it looks much better then a DVD. Playback is very smooth, bright and crisp. Playing the video on the laptop and on the TV, you can tell the TV is a better picture.

My best description would be the comparison of a HD DVD/Blu-ray movie to DirecTV HD. You know the media HD is better, but DirecTV HD is nothing to be ashamed of. Same for playing HD thru the Playback software.

5. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Connected the laptop up to the plasma in the LR via HDMI. Testing time was limited due to the usual fiddling with things trying to get the server to display in the scan window.
    Had to disable the laptop display (DRM issues previously discussed) so couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, but the video on the TV looked much better than on the Dell XPS-M1530. No sound though through the HDMI so can't report on that.

Was far removed from the server HR20 so was connected over the wireless g. According to the Vista monitor network usage ranged from between 5 to 10 Mbps which doesn't seem like too much, but the PC dropped frames enough to be distracting. Tried playing two mpeg4 recordings (Hot Fuzz 514 MAXWHD 3/9 12am and 10 Things I hate About You 518 STZKHD 3/8 10:15pm).

Conclusion is that the video is better than this laptop PC is capable of displaying. Also wonder why video is better with the hardwired connection vs. the wireless g when the Vista performance monitor reports similar 5-10 Mbps network utilization for both.