1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiveTV after watching/deleting show sux!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by randyr505, Sep 10, 2010.

1. randyr505

randyr505 New Member

May 7, 2009
    It really sux if you are watching a show you just recorded and when you are done you decided to delete it. Well, guess what? If you are recording another show the livetv window will show you that show even if it is minutes before being over like when they are about to evict someone from a reality show.

Is there a way around this? Does DirecTV not see this as an issue? I wish there was a keyword to disabled this from happening.

Randy

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Not sure I understand what you are talking about....

Are you saying that this behavior spoils the surprise ending of the other show?

3. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    No spoilers is what I got from the OP too.

It's listed near the bottom of section #5 (the Bug List) @ Wishlistsurvey.com. Check it out; register and vote if you haven't already.

http://wishlistsurvey.com/index.php?module=results

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This is only a workaround, but try tuning to a channel that you really never watch before you play the recording. The DVR picks up the last channel you were on for the little window that it shows.

5. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    If you happen to be recording two things while watching a third and you don't want live TV to display either of those, another work around is to start another playback from your todo list prior to deleting.

So what is it folks want the DVR to do in this case? Not show the live TV window at all?

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    IMHO, the mute button is the easiest way to avoid spoilers.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is the behavior of my homebrew DVR. When I hit Stop/Delete, etc, it takes me back to the main menu offering up a choice to view live tv, bring up the guide, or bring up the list of recordings. It never automatically dumps me back to live tv.

I can relate to the OP. I have had several Nascar races ruined because I finished watching a baseball game or something, and it dumped me to the race where they were interviewing the winner. Very bad behavior. Thats why I always record sensitive programs like that on my homebrew DVR, and not the DirecTv ones.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One workaround that you can do is to start playing another show. Then go into the PlayList and delete the show that you just finished watching. Since you are playing back another show, the DVR won't revert back to LiveTV.

- Merg

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    And its effective, at least until your DVR records two shows at the same time. I keep a channel I can't receive in the center square of the "pick-9" feature just for this purpose. Since it is a DVR, I use it to watch recordings rather than live TV anyway, so this is about the only practical use this feature has.

But I am as adamant as anyone that this should be a user feature (disable the PIG and associated audio). Its not just spoilers, the audio from something I don't want to watch is extremely annoying, and extremely unwelcome. The chances of what is in the PIG after I delete a show being something that I want to watch that I haven't recorded are about as close to 100% as you can get, so I do not consider the PIG a feature, just an annoying bother. Tivo at least did this right.

To add insult to injury, pause (for the purpose of muting this audio) does not work just after deletion for a few seconds, so we are treated to the braying of whatever channel was last selected and the only recourse is to mute the TV/AVR. I can't think of another situation as ergonomically inept as that is.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Mute the audio and keep a piece of cardboard near the set that you can tape over the upper right corner of the TV screen before choosing "Keep or Delete". :D