1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LNB zone question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by w-r-g, Nov 23, 2011.

1. w-r-g

w-r-g New Member

Nov 12, 2011
    I just installed a slimline 3 dish at a different location in central Iowa. My home base is in south central FL. I used the 3 non swm lnb and cannot get my locals from central FL. I take a receiver back and forth with me to my remote location. Is it possible to get my hd locals at my remote location and if so what lnb do I need to install?

Thanks

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, locals are on "spotbeams" pointed at different areas of the country;once you move outside your spotbeam, there is no way to receive your locals.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When you are in Iowa, you can call DirecTV and change your service address. That way you will at least get the Iowa locals. When you go back to Florida, call and change the service address back to Florida.

4. w-r-g

w-r-g New Member

Nov 12, 2011

Oh yeah the spotbeams. So is this something directv will do without question as they know what you are trying to accomplish or do they frown upon this activity? I do not care just want to know if it is something I need to tread lightly.

Thanks

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    DIRECTV wants you to change your service address when you relocate. When you do this, they will give you locals from that area. They're not going to be terribly accommodating if your real goal is to get out-of-area locals.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    They will only change your service address a couple of times a year, so having a summer home and a winter home is OK.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The terms of service only permit you to have service at one location at any one time (on one account). As long as you are moving back and forth and only using one of the two locations at any given time, you are fine, and don't need to "tread lightly". However, as Texasbrit notes, there are limits on how often you can change the service address on your account.

As to where you can get any particular local TV broadcasts, that is governed by federal regulation, and DIRECTV must comply with those regulations. That is one reason they put them on spot beams - there is no possible way to obtain them outside the market area. (The other reason to use spot beams is to provide greater channel capacity through the satellite.)