Local CBS off DTV since May 1

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sweep49, May 10, 2019.

1. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Our local CBS station WSWG had been off DTV since May 1. I called them today to ask when they expect to be back on. The lady said there is a fiber cut somewhere in 32,000 feet of fiber and they don't know how to locate it apparently, as she said she has no idea of when they will be back on.

WTF, really?

They are a low power station so ota is not an option for most people in the DMA.

Anyhow, does anyone think that DTV might provide temporary out of market CBS coverage until this problem is resolved? If so, who should I talk to?

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Sounds like horse **** to me and no don't expect out of market locals.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The FCC does not allow providers like DirecTV to deliver an out-of-area network station, even if that station has technical problems.

4. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    They can locate a break in a fiber optic line within a few feet. So that part of the story is bull.

5. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Ok, thanks for the response. I won't get my blood pressure up then by trying to call them.

6. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    That sounds about right, thanks for the response.

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I know you said it's a low power station, but you might be able to get yourself a free LCC - might be worth a shot.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The CSRs don't know the reason for a station being off the air, certainly not to the level of detail of knowing how long of a fiber run is involved. I don't know if one of them makes stuff up and tells the others or what, but sometimes they have some pretty fanciful stories so you almost wonder if they have a competition to see who can spin the biggest load of bull and get customers to believe it :)

If it is a fiber issue it isn't necessarily Directv/AT&T owned fiber. If it is owned by a third party telco they are at the mercy of that provider to fix it.

There were some problems in town here a few years ago where a fiber that provided cable TV/internet for a few subdivisions was cut during road widening - all the utilities had marked their stuff and moved them out of the way before work began but one was apparently missed. Once it started they couldn't fix that fiber because they were already digging up and grading the land under which it was located, they had to run a new one and those people were out of service for several weeks.

This isn't the only time I've heard of road construction beginning and only later finding there were utilities that needed to be moved that hadn't been identified before work started. Guess their recording keeping isn't always as good as it oughta be.

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Somebody else already mentioned it, but you can consider yourself a lucky b****** :D. You might be able to convince DirecTV to give you a free LCC.

With a good antenna you can pick up channels from 60+ miles away. Not talking about a dinky table top antenna, but a legit one you shove up in the attic that's 3 to 4'. I live about 50 to 60 miles away from Los Angeles and I pick up all the LA stations just fine with my antenna in the attic.

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    TV, cable, internet, etc. aren't considered critical services, so you might as well not waste money on silly things like that on the off chance you might have an incident.

Last year my Cox gigabit service was out/unstabe for almost a month before they finally found & fixed the issue. I escalated all the way up to some big wig in corporate who I actually got in touch with and they were like "we gave you a credit for the month dude, nothing else I can do" lol...

Boy, I'm in charge of a big system at work that affects a lot less people then during the Cox outage and I can tell you if I told my boss, "yeah, this is going to take a month to get back up", I wouldn't have a paycheck to afford my gigabit service lol.

I've got customers who escalate to the president on a 5 - 15 minute outage.

sweep49 likes this.
  11. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    The CSRs since the ATT merger are as dumb as a box of rocks IMO. I don't have the patience to talk to them. This same station was off last year for several days and I called in to DTV to see what they could do. The CSR went through the "trouble shooting process: and concluded it was a problem with my system even as I explained (not well enough apparently) that I had the technical problems banner on screen which comes from the satellite.

So, yesterday I signed up for CBS All Access for 5.99/month, which I'll cancel when the station comes back on DTV. But, maybe this will send me down the cord cutting rabbit hole, who knows.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Have you considered calling the station? May not be a directv issue

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "32,000 feet of fiber" information came from the local station. With a small station I'd expect the staff to know the issue.

Posted May 3rd: WSWG down on DIRECTV - SouthGATV
    "WSWG has been off DIRECTV in Albany since 6 p.m. Wednesday evening. The issue has been narrowed down to a fiber link to DIRECTV. Technicians are aware of the issue, have been dispatched and are making repairs. We are sorry for any inconvenience this is causing and hope to have connectivity restored as soon as possible. Thank you for caring and thank you for watching WSWG!"

(The station's former owner, Gray Television, announced in August 2018 that they were selling the station to Marquee Broadcasting. Marquee combined the operation with WSST, purchased in September.)

sweep49 and compnurd like this.
  14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    10 days to repair the cut? Seems way excessive.

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's a station with a no-name owner in the middle of rural Georgia broadcasting from the fringe of the market. It's not like larger cities where they can easily dispatch a local crew with the needed equipment and fiber repair skills on site. It's also even harder if the break is underground instead of overhead where they would need permits and different crews to do the digging and marking of other lines in the vicinity before they can start the repairs. (Otherwise you get what happened in Kansas City in 2013 when a crew working on Time Warner Cable's fiber network hit a gas main)

Albany, GA is one of those smaller markets where a bunch of the stations are scattered at the fringes of the market instead of coming from a centralized location. The CBS station is 70+ miles away to the southeast in Valdosta with a service contour that doesn't even reach Albany, while most signal propogation models only have scattered deep fringe 2-edge and tropo reception for parts of the city and tropo reception for areas further northwest. It's why they have to use fiber to get to DirecTV's local receive facility in Albany instead of relying on OTA reception like most other stations in the country.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Not really. For some services, including high speed data lines, you are not only paying for the actual cost of the service, but also the service contract for repair and the appropriate Service Level Agreement. If you have a break on a Sunday and want to fix it ASAP, be prepared to pay a premium as the repair team has to be paid overtime. Even more so if you want it fixed on a holiday.

17. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    All I know is that a cable break can be pinpointed to a very specific point using the right equipment.There is a lot of talk of the worst case scenario in the breaks location. Most of the time it is in an area that does not require a lot of effort and paper work to get too.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The press release from May 2nd said "crews had been dispatched and were making repairs."

19. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    .. and we all know that press releases are always 100% accurate and never shade things to make the company look better than they really are.

20. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    My guess is they had to order something from Amazon and don't have a Prime account.

dreadlk and carlsbad_bolt_fan like this.