Local Channel Connector Cost?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rob Dawn, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn AllStar

Jan 11, 2006
    Colorado
    Has anyone gotten one of these that replaces the old AM21's?
    I'm wondering what the cost is and if you can get it in all markets?
    We were without CBS here in Denver for a few weeks so I'd like to ready myself for the next time we lose a network channel - BEFORE it happens! :)

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Many people (myself included) were granted a LCC by AT&T/DIRECTV for losing channels because of the recent/current disputes at no cost.

Rob Dawn likes this.
  3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So if your channels are back, you probably can't get one right now.

What equipment do you have? It only works on the HR44 & HR54.

4. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    1. Got my LCC today....ordered last night..no channels not out here in Atlanta...
    Got my LCC today...ordered it last night believe it or not...live in Atlanta,GA and no channels are down...guess because am a customer for about 20 years with DIRECTV...the number to call is this as you will get a person directly, not a menu..1-866-586-4990...sometimes known as the retention department but what the heck...also hooked up my LCC to my outside cable that was hooked up to my old AM21 instead of the antenna that came with the kit....works great!!! Did not cost me a penny...

5. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    what about HR34? can a LCC or ATO if i call Directv?

6. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    Not sure...only for HR44 I believe as that is what I have and hooked up the LCC to it today....tried to order 2 but they told me it would not work on my HR22 that I have my other AM21 hooked up to...I now have an AM21 ready to sale if anyone is interested...

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'd stick with the AM21 if I were you. The LCC is junk. Unless you don't mind constant audio drop outs.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    The HR34 is not compatible with the LCC where it was never upgraded to the new GUI that the HR44/54 uses. The HR34 is the only Genie model that is fully compatible with the AM21 because it uses the same power cord as previous HD-DVRs (like HR24/22/21, etc). If you don't want to upgrade to the HR44 or HR54 models (which would put you into a 24 mo agreement) you could try to find an AM21 for sale at a reasonable price. It works the same as an LCC but is bigger.

I experienced that as well but when I had audio drop outs is was when I performed a rescan when I first got the LCC and my Genie (HR44) began duplicating all my local channels again (an issue I had with my AM21 when D* re-introduced the scanning ability back to the HR44/54 models). When I reset my HR44 to get rid of the unnecessary duplicates it also cured the audio drop outs with the LCC.

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The audio dropout problem will return, unfortunately. Its a 3+ year old problem with AM21s and now LCC's. At some point you will also encounter some very subtle video stuttering. It's particularly bad on my local CBS affiliate during NFL season. If you watch some fast play action, or a ball in the air, the video will jitter. Its probably dropped frames. AM21s have it and the LCC has it too. Its not as common as the audio problem however.

The cure for both, press pause, then play and problems disappear. You will only be 1 sec behind live TV, but still ahead of the Sat delays on local channels.

SledgeHammer and techguy88 like this.
  10. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks @NR4P I will admit I just use CBS for Big Brother and Survivor but this will come in handy when I come across these issues as they will set my OCD off lol.

11. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn AllStar

Jan 11, 2006
    Colorado
    I'll just add that I was also able to get the LCC for no charge and no 2 year contract. Did it via the Live Chat and the rep did not ask if I was currently missing any local channels.

12. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I called rention and also tech support. Said my market is not approved for LCC yet
    This was two weeks ago
    Did something change now that the CBS owned stations are back

Before they said there was a shortage and only markets with disputes can get one
    Can anyone confirm that this policy changed. Maybe it did ?

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Whether DIRECTV changed their policy can best be determined if you call/chat to see if the system will allow you to get one.
    DIRECTV doesn't communicate these policies well and then the CSRs often have the wrong information.

14. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I think they are tired of me. I have had 4 ordered and then auto rejected or cancled already.
    I was promised one when I switch to Directv in May as I had one with Dish.
    Not even retentions dept could help, system just would not allow the order.
    So I hate to call again

15. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    My AM21 is rock solid. The LCC was dropping audio every couple of seconds. The LCC was so bad I put back the AM21 and threw the LCC in the closet.

16. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Well just got my amplifier in for my new antenna and my AM21N is actually performing better than the LCC when it comes to holding the signal. The signal meter on the receiver looked like a kid bouncing up and down on a trampoline when the LCC was connected to it. Meanwhile the AM21N rarely dips unless someone drives by the house then it goes back up.

17. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I have never had any of those Audio issues with my AM21 and HR54. Its perfect on every channel.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The cost is 0, markets discussed in main "LCC" thread - take a look

19. Goldlexus1

Goldlexus1 New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I called today. Directv is sending me a LCC for free but noticed a prorated fee on my bill of a $1.80. The line item says 'coverage begins in 30 days' under it is the LCC that is free of charge. Is there a monthly charge for the LCC? The cs agent didn't say anything about it...

20. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I have the same notation under activity since last bill with the LCC being $0.00. But the $1.80 must be for some other item.