Local channel listed twice on guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lschwarcz, Apr 21, 2019.

1. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I looked around in the forums for this issue but I didn't see it listed anywhere.

Starting recently one channel is listed twice in the guide listing. There may be other channels duplicated but this is the only one I've noticed. I don't know if this makes a difference but it is a local channel out of San Francisco.

capture_20190421_141904.jpg

This happens on all four of our DVRs (one Genie and three HR24)

Has anyone else seen this? I would call DirecTV but I've had such bad experiences with their CSRs that I now try to find the answer outside of their (lack of) help. They always assuming it's an issue with my equipment and want to take a bunch of time resetting my equipment (which I've already done) or charge me for a tech visit.

Thanks in advance!
    Larry.

2. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Got it fixed! I tried the chat support with DirecTV. After the CSR tried a few different things (reset DVR and then reset my account) he suggested the, "clearmybox" process. This did it! I'll have to do this to each of our four DVRs when they are not recording but at least I now have the solution.

I know now that "clearmybox" is documented in other threads here but let me add what he told me in this thread in case others have not heard of it.
    1. Bring up the menu
    2. Go to search ("smart search")
    3. Enter the word, "clearmybox" (no spaces)
    4. Select "keyword" search.
    After a minute or so the DVR will reset. The reset seemed to take a little longer than usual but he claimed that it would, "...remove any non-volatile random access memory from the DVR."

Thanks everyone!
    Larry.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Glad to here it ...

Since I didn't see any HD labels in the guide for the duplicate programs. I was about to ask if your local KQSL might not be in HD on the Ka band, but MPEG-4 based (or "A3") SD format.

As that would normally result in such a doubling in the guide since the receiver's "hide SD duplicates" function does not work when both the A3 format program on the Ka band and it's MPEG-2 based (or "DSS") duplicate on the Ku band are in SD format.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

lschwarcz likes this.
  4. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I don't see a separate channel that indicates SD vs HD on my set

lschwarcz likes this.
  5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    KQSL recently upgraded to HD, so DirecTV added their HD feed earlier this month since they are a must carry station. Until they notify TMS/Gracenote which programs they air in HD, the HD tags won't appear on their schedule. It first appeared in test mode on the 4/3 transponder map and was live by the time the 4/10 transponder map was generated.

Sometimes when a new HD feed is added the SD feed remains in the guide until you toggle between "Show all channels" and "Hide SD duplicates" to remove the now duplicate SD feed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    lschwarcz likes this.