1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local channel pix -HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Darthraider, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Darthraider

Darthraider New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Hello- this is my first post. I feel like I'm going out on a first date. Take it easy on me. I have OTA with a rooftop antenna through my HR20-700 box. The last few days one local channel has been pixilating. The others are fine. I hooked up direct to the TV and was OK. Other locals are fine. Any ideas? Thanks

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    ATSC tuners are not all the same. The one in your TV is better than the one in the HR20. You may need to re-aim your antenna.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Except that you don't know what TV he has, whether its tuner is better or not, or whether the one in the HR20 is better or worse than that one. You proclaiming as if fact that the one in his TV is better is you pulling complete nonsense out of your... [family website, sorry] based on knowledge you just don't yet have. If being helpful was your goal, that was counterproductive to it.

The tuner in the HR20 is rumored to be the LG/NeXtWave 5th-gen tuner, which is state-of-art, and probably significantly better than any other tuner out there other than 6th-gen tuners, which are still rare. So odds are the HR20 tuner is better, but you just don't know, and neither do the rest of us.

As for Darth, enter your issue on the AVS local reception thread for your area. There may be issues with that channel, and previous reports. You can also check reception of one channel vs. another using the HR20 signal quallity screens. Sometimes one channel will not be as good as another, and will manifest as such on one location vs. another regardless of the quality of the tuner itself.

Sometimes a channel is simply too far away for reliable reception, or at a different angle than other stations. Or it may be a LP station. Go to antennaweb.org to see what you really are dealing with, signal-wise and direction-wise. Sometimes a channel is temporarily at lower power for whatever reason (many are currently as they prepare for the 2-17 transition). Check that all connections are tight. Try an FM trap. Try an attenuator. Try a line amp. Try a better antenna. Try moving or reamining your antenna. Try a directional coupler that feeds more signal to the HR20 than to the TV. There are a lot of options if you are motivated. We can help you with that.

4. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I think he was basing his reply on the OPs statement that the station that would not tune in on the HR20 came in fine when he hooked the antenna directly to the TV. Granted, that's not definitive proof that his TV has a "better" tuner than the HR20, but it is a reasonable assumption to make in this case.
    I would also agree that the first step is to try tweeking the aim on the antenna. Find out where the transmitter for that 'weak' signal is and favor the antenna's aim in that direction.

AntennaWeb is a good tool for finding where the signals are coming from and from how far.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The first inclination would be a change in the antenna performance or cabling. Next would be a directional change in the antenna. One of the last would be a partial failure of the tuner itself.

What are the signal strengths of the station in question on the TV and HR20?

How full is your hard drive getting to be?

6. wolfman730

wolfman730 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
  7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'd guess that your TV tuner is better than the DirecTV OTA tuner, since both are getting the signal from the same antenna. However, TomCat has some good ideas worth looking into.

I'm getting excellent OTA signals both through my HR20-700 and Sony Bravia TV using a 35-year-old rooftop antenna. I did route new coax from the rooftop last year. I also split off a line for FM radio reception and added another split last week for digital signals using a converter box with my old Sylvania 19-inch set. The converter box is picking up more than 50 digital signals in the LA area.