Local Channel Pixilation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by HarryG, May 18, 2020.

1. HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    My local CBS affiliate (WGFL/Gainesville, FL - Directv Channel 53) has been experiencing intermittent light to moderate pixilation for nearly two months, making the channel at times, unwatchable. I know this is a local Directv retransmission issue because when viewing the channel OTA, the problem is nonexistent.

My question is has anyone ever had success in reporting a local channel issue to Directv and having the issue resolved? Past history in dealing with Directv frontline and level 2 technical support, as well as local tech supervisors reporting a verified issue to Directv superiors has rarely ever been successful in resolving the problem.

I am not interested in playing CSR roulette, explaining the problem, and getting bounced from department to department if the effort is ultimately useless. I’ve been down that road too many times before.

Any insight, or suggestions, on how to proceed to resolve this issue is appreciated.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I think you'll have better luck contacting the WGFL station engineering manager. The problem likely exists with their signal to DirecTV.

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I experienced quite a bit of pixilation watching CBS Sunday Morning News and 60 Minutes this week. I reported it to the local station, and they said they are not seeing any issues...

4. HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    The local station would only see the pixilation if they were monitoring Directv’s retransmitted signal.

5. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for explaining that to me. Actually, the engineer I spoke to has DirecTV at his home and was reporting his personal experience.

6. HarryG

HarryG Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    I contacted the station and reported the pixilation problem. They agreed that it was most likely a Directv signal uplink issue because the pixilation only occurs when watching the station’s retransmitted broadcast signal on Directv, and not when viewed OTA.

I was told other Directv viewers have reported similar pixilation problems and that an engineer had contacted Directv on two different occasions to report and resolve the issue. Directv’s response to both reports was that the reported problem has been resolved. It has not. If anything, it has gotten worse. You can not view the channel without seeing serious pixilation issues.

How many times does Directv have to be contacted by the station before they make a serious effort to identify the cause and resolve this ongoing retransmission issue?